PDA

View Full Version : Silly question, but i am married...

Roadhigh
05-17-03, 09:51 PM
i have been waiting to buy an fx5900 card.
unfortunately, my wife and 10 year old son, bought me one for my b-day.
it is an fx5200.
it is replacing a geforce 3 card, which i have been happily using for 2 years.
my question is twofold:
as i mainly play rtcw online will i notice a difference?
will this thing run DooM 3 when it comes out.
when i say will i notice a difference, i mean will it leap out at me.
i had a geforce 4 4200 and it didnt perform as well as the geforce 3.
sorry if its a silly question, but i go where the knowledge is :)
thanks

The Baron
05-17-03, 09:53 PM
A Ti4200 didn't perform as well as the GF3?

Something's wrong with your box--it should perform at least 20% better in everything.

Maybe a reformat is needed?

ntxawg
05-17-03, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
A Ti4200 didn't perform as well as the GF3?

Something's wrong with your box--it should perform at least 20% better in everything.

Maybe a reformat is needed?

erh..he said fx5200 not ti4200 :)

Roadhigh
05-17-03, 09:57 PM
the card is a 5200 ultra, sorry i should have noted that.
and yes, the 4200 did not perform as well, especially after installing dx9. i seemed to get an appreciable amount of video lag

Nv40
05-17-03, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Roadhigh
will this thing run DooM 3 when it comes out.
when i say will i notice a difference, i mean will it leap out at me.
i had a geforce 4 4200 and it didnt perform as well as the geforce 3.
sorry if its a silly question, but i go where the knowledge is :)
thanks [/B]

take a look at this benchamrks..

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821&p=22

if the card can run Doom3 ,it can easily Run RTCW too..
you can overclock the card and see if you can pull 10frames more..

StealthHawk
05-17-03, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ntxawg
erh..he said fx5200 not ti4200 :)

He said he tried a gf4Ti4200i had a geforce 4 4200 and it didnt perform as well as the geforce 3.

Um, the gf4Ti4200 should have been around 30% faster than the gf3.

The gfFX5200Ultra may or may not be any faster than your gf3. In some situations, it could be a bit faster. A gf4Ti4200 should be faster than a gfFX4200Ultra at all times, pretty much. I guess your only solution would be to test the card out and see if it performs any better.

digitalwanderer
05-17-03, 10:50 PM
I just upgraded from my GF3 to a GF4ti and I noticed an appreciable performance boost....at least 30%, more when I use AA & AF.

Something doesn't seem right there. :(

As for the 5200, if it's an Ultra it might outperform your GF3....but not by much.

muzz
05-18-03, 02:06 AM
Maybe a ti200, but I CANNOT fathom a GF3 being better ( FOR ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE......... sorry for the shooting..........) than a GF4.
The 4200 is the card I would want in those 3, but since your wife and daughter gave you the 5200 it MAY be a good alternative................

panzaman
05-18-03, 05:00 AM
...don't bother with the FX5200 is useless, it will run |Doom3| but at a very low frame rate.
Bring it back and swap it for a 5600 or 5900 if u can wait.

ChrisRay
05-18-03, 05:04 AM
Guys you seem to mis understand him. He's already been given the card, and like any good husband he doesn't wanna upset his son/wife by returning it for something better.

You card will do fine in RTCW, and it'll have DX 9.0 support. Doom 3 will work fine in lower resolutions as well. At least you'll be using the Nv30 pathway rather than the Nv20 pathway in Doom 3 so you'll prolly pull pretty far ahead of your geforce 3 in doom 3

dpollard55
05-18-03, 05:18 AM
I have a 5200 PCI and I have no problem running RTCW with it with everything maxed out at highest settings. Black Hawk Down too, and America's Army Operations as well. It's better card than people give it credit for. You should be fine with it.

Nutty
05-18-03, 07:24 AM
Guys you seem to mis understand him. He's already been given the card, and like any good husband he doesn't wanna upset his son/wife by returning it for something better.

Man I would just die.. theres no way I'd trade up my 4600 for a 5200, except maybe to code on.

Tell them its incompatible or somat, or the shop gave them a dodgy one.. take it back and swiftly exchange it for a 5600 or 5800.

And ask them to consult you in future on hardware purchases..

Might sound harsh, but next time it could be worse.. They might've bought ATI! :p

(j/k)!

Kruno
05-18-03, 10:07 AM
They might've bought ATI!

Or... S3. :lol:

digitalwanderer
05-18-03, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
Tell them its incompatible or somat, or the shop gave them a dodgy one.. take it back and swiftly exchange it for a 5600 or 5800.

Yup, that's the best solution. :)

ZoinKs!
05-18-03, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Yup, that's the best solution. :) You are wise in the ways of women and computers, Oh maharishi. You speak with the sage advice which can only come from the seasonings of many experiences.

:rofl

;)

Roadhigh
05-18-03, 01:26 PM
one thing i have considered is throwing it into a new machine for my son, and telling he and my wife, that now he has an awsome SIMS machine.
my gut tells me i should just install it and use it, problem with that is, i wont be able to upgrade for a year at least.
(the questions i would have to answer, "whats wrong with the one we just bought you" etc.)
i dont o/c or anything, so if the performance is better, what the heck i can live with it.
just as long as i WILL notice a difference, thats what makes me nervous :)
thanks for all the replies,
knowledge is power :)

Uttar
05-18-03, 01:51 PM
Roadhigh: Well, it ain't a bad card. It's a quite complex matter.

The problem you see is that the 5200 Ultra is not a *real* card IMO. It'll never go into very massive production AFAIK. It's mostly there to say that the 5200 series got acceptable performance.

For that you see, the 5200 Ultra is quite okay - it's certainly at least 30% faster than your GF3 when using 2x AA & 4x AF at not-too-high resolutions, which probably would be its sweetpot.

The truly bad card is the 5200 Regular 64MB - that one should really not be bought IMO.

The problem with the 5200 Ultra is that it's quite expensive compared to what it's worth. It's normally a much better idea to buy a 5600 Regular at maybe $10 more, and you'd also get much better performance ( I'd say 20% better at least )
However, since it's a gift, you really shouldn't complain about that :)

And yes, it'll run Doom 3 - but not very well, of course:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821&p=22

Also, it is very strange your Ti4200 wasn't faster than your GF3. That is obviously a driver problem maybe. When installing a new GPU, you should always fully uninstall the driver before installing the new card.

Uttar

digitalwanderer
05-18-03, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ZoinKs!
You are wise in the ways of women and computers, Oh maharishi. You speak with the sage advice which can only come from the seasonings of many experiences.

Yeah, I have me 8th anniversary this October. :) Fixing/upgrading computers is easy, talking me wife into budgeting in upgrades is next to impossible. :(

But.....

Originally posted by Roadhigh
problem with that is, i wont be able to upgrade for a year at least.

....I have a ZERO upgrade budget, but damned near unlimited funds for "repairs".... ;)

Seriously. My household has become pretty computer dependant and if any of me rigs go down they ain't allowed to stay down long...it's just too disruptive.

If I REALLY need an upgrade, I fry my equipment and replace it. ;)

darkmiasma
05-18-03, 04:32 PM
you should just take it back and exchange it ... tell no one ...

euan
05-18-03, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

....I have a ZERO upgrade budget, but damned near unlimited funds for "repairs".... ;)

That's how it goes in my workplace too! :) If you want an upgrade you select the component and stick a screwdriver in it whilst powered. Works a treat! :angel2:

StealthHawk
05-18-03, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Man I would just die.. theres no way I'd trade up my 4600 for a 5200, except maybe to code on.

Well, he doesn't have a 4600. He has a GeForce3. He said he tried a 4200, but it was no faster, and exhibited some problems, so he went back to the gf3.