PDA

View Full Version : Got a email from Blizzard

CaptnStubing
09-26-08, 03:47 PM
I just got this email today.

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell/trade your personal World of Warcraft account(s).
As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.
If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership. If the information is deemed accurate, the investigation will be dropped.
This action is taken because we at Blizzard Entertainment take these sales
quite seriously. We need to confirm you are the original owner of the account.
This is easiest done by confirming your personal information along with concealed information about your account.
You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account by replying to this email with:

Use the following template below to verify your account and information via email.

* First and Surname
* Address
* Zip code
* Phone number
* Country
* Account e-mail
* Account name
* Account password
* Secret Question and Answer

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently. Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.
We ask you to NOT change password until the investigation is fully completed.

Blizzard Entertainment Inc
Account Administration Team
P.O. Box 18979, Irvine, CA 92623

Regards,

Account Administration Team
Blizzard Entertainment

I've heard of this scam before but this is the first one I've received in my email.
Blizzard never asks for your account information. They already have it.

Secondly I have received warnings from Blizzard before. They tell you what they are going to do. They don't ask you to respond at all.

J-Mag
09-26-08, 03:53 PM
What was the trackback URL?

npras42
09-26-08, 03:57 PM
That's like the worst (as in most obvious) scam I have ever seen. You'd have to be a real idiot to fall for that one.

CaptnStubing
09-26-08, 04:16 PM
What was the trackback URL?

I deleted it already. I thought about posting it but I didn't.

tweaked
09-27-08, 10:41 PM
I deleted it already. I thought about posting it but I didn't.

being that they asked you to MAIL them the info they have committed the federal crime of MAIL FRAUD.

ralinn
09-28-08, 07:49 AM
That's like the worst (as in most obvious) scam I have ever seen. You'd have to be a real idiot to fall for that one.

There will always be people out there that fall for it. People that don't know better.

Dvahlish
09-28-08, 05:51 PM
Oh...thats disgraceful.
I was about to ask whether you had replied or done anything with the link back as well.

I can imagine that would be lots of the younger kids that get this email and panic at the thought of thier beloved account being suspended...oh noes!!!
But I would hope that most players would be wise to sort sort of activity?
Or am I just being naieve?

CaptnStubing
09-29-08, 12:25 PM
Oh...thats disgraceful.
I was about to ask whether you had replied or done anything with the link back as well.

I can imagine that would be lots of the younger kids that get this email and panic at the thought of thier beloved account being suspended...oh noes!!!
But I would hope that most players would be wise to sort sort of activity?
Or am I just being naieve?
No I didn't reply. It did take me a few seconds of saying "wft is this" before I realized it was a scam.

Blizzard has no way of knowing that you are selling your account. Even if I was going to sell my account I would not reply to a message from Blizzard.

Monolyth
09-29-08, 01:02 PM
The thread title is a lie, obviously you didn't get an e-mail from Blizzard.

Lies! I have marked this down Stubing, I will reference this topic whenever you ask liberals to note a time when you deliberately lied.

CaptnStubing
09-29-08, 01:43 PM
The thread title is a lie, obviously you didn't get an e-mail from Blizzard.

Lies! I have marked this down Stubing, I will reference this topic whenever you ask liberals to note a time when you deliberately lied.

I have information that your nVNews account is trying to be sold online. To avoid your account from being banned, please send you first and last name, home address, social security number, bank account number and credit card number.

Thank you for your quick response
CaptnStubing

Monolyth
09-29-08, 02:07 PM
+1 to lies.

Labyrinth
09-29-08, 02:16 PM
Another reason you can tell it's a scam....grammatical error:

"We ask you to NOT change password until the investigation is fully completed."

Son Goku
09-30-08, 01:36 PM
being that they asked you to MAIL them the info they have committed the federal crime of MAIL FRAUD.

Sounds like a scam. If one wanted to make certain; best way would be to call into their tech support line. Not the one provided from any email, but rather one off Blizzard's official website itself. A tech there might ask for a copy of the email; but it would be more to find out who's impersonating them.

Oh, and it's a good idea to change the password when a scammer asks you don't ;)