PDA

View Full Version : Excessive optimizations?

andrebrait
09-26-08, 04:26 PM
FOr some time, I've been noticing strange shadowing with my 8600GT, something that didn't occur in older drivers.
I think nVidia is optimizing shadows and this kind of stuff, so 8600's can achieve a satisfactory performance...
but... c'mon, making the shadows completely pixelated and weird isn't what I would call "Optimization"... it's more like "Optimistruction" (Yeah, Optimization + DEstruction)

For example, look at this peculiar scene in DMC 4 DX9. I didn't try to going back to older driver to see the results with them, but I remember Crysis with my Radeon 9600XT 256MB in my old Athlon 64 3200+ 754, and the shadows were smoother, and wree really SHADOWS (besides the poor performance), not a darker sprite in front of you (when your shadow was over a tree, in my 8600GT, it climbs up in the tree, separating it from the floor. It was useful in another game, I forgot which one, whenthe enemy's shadows were passsing throught walls and floor, so I could know if there were someone and how many enemies were there).

Here's the scene:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/andrebrait/imagem-2.png

What's up with these shadows?
I Noticed this effect before, but I just decided to post today :D