PDA

View Full Version : Fake Beta Msgs?

Marvel_us
09-28-08, 05:46 PM
Just got a msg while playing wipeout from "Home Beta". It reads: Congratulations! You have been selected as a Playstation@Home beta tester. This message has been delivered to you for the purpose of effective feedback concerning Playstation@Home. If you are interested in receiving the beta, please reply back. Your message should include your PSN Sign-In ID(email-address) and password. As soon as we get your information, we will upload Playstation@Home beta to your XMB.

SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ

This can't possibly be legit since I do not see any reason for Sony to need my PSN password. Anyone get any similar messages?

I've participated in the Warhawk beta and the beta acceptance isn't anything like this.

EDIT: Yup, it's definitely a hoax. Called up Sony and they verified that it was a fake.

crainger
09-28-08, 06:27 PM
::(:

RaidenWoW
09-28-08, 07:20 PM
If they were really Sony they would HAVE your password.

Some people are more gullible than others... I'm probably the hardest person to scam.
I've seen them all and when I spot a worm I eat it.

crainger
09-28-08, 08:31 PM
You're the hardest person to scam, yet when they put the worm on the hook you eat it?

Raiden send me all your money and I'll make you rich.

crainger
09-28-08, 10:04 PM
Ok!

ralinn
09-29-08, 07:13 AM
No, wait crainger! I think it's a trick!

Wolfhound
09-29-08, 07:21 AM
Any mail that asks for username,passwords is surely an hoax.

crainger
09-29-08, 07:53 AM
No, wait crainger! I think it's a trick!

Never look a gift horse in the face!

ViN86
09-29-08, 11:02 AM
If you are interested in receiving the beta, please replay back

this didnt give it away? :wtf:

you think a corporation the size of Sony wouldnt run a spell check before sending out a message to the entire network?

DURRR :retard:

ViN86
09-29-08, 11:04 AM
If they were really Sony they would HAVE your password.

Some people are more gullible than others... I'm probably the hardest person to scam.
I've seen them all and when I spot a worm I eat it.

no one (except fox news apparently lol) stores plain text passwords. they encrypt what you enter and compare it to the database entry. usually you cant get the password out once it's encrypted, so no, Sony doesnt have his password.

Marvel_us
09-29-08, 06:20 PM
this didnt give it away? :wtf:

you think a corporation the size of Sony wouldnt run a spell check before sending out a message to the entire network?

DURRR :retard:

Oops that was a typo on my part.

Lyme
09-29-08, 08:54 PM
I do not see any reason for Sony to need my PSN password.

Your absolutely right, they do not need your password because they have full access to your account and everyone else's.

ViN86
09-30-08, 07:44 AM
Oops that was a typo on my part.

LOL oh :lol:

Bman212121
09-30-08, 12:53 PM
no one (except fox news apparently lol) stores plain text passwords. they encrypt what you enter and compare it to the database entry. usually you cant get the password out once it's encrypted, so no, Sony doesnt have his password.

They still don't need his password, they can just reset it to whatever they want it to be.

|MaguS|
09-30-08, 12:55 PM
Just send me your login... I'll give you beta access...

RaidenWoW
09-30-08, 01:00 PM

what I really meant is that they wouldn't need a password....

all they would have to do is change a value in their database to 1 to make him able to play some beta things..

It's simple SQL... change something to 1 in the "isbeta" field etc.

And if they were desperate for his password they could always use a cracker. If they have high security on their passwords they would double encrypt them... MD5+SHA1 etc.

MD5 is easiest to crack, second is SHA1 and the hardest would be MD5 + SHA1.