PDA

View Full Version : Steam will host user created mods

LordJuanlo
09-29-08, 10:58 AM
Valve will start offering user created mods for download on digital distribution platform Steam this week, beginning with five new titles based on Valve’s own Half-Life 2.

The five fan-created mods include Age of Chivalry, D.I.P.R.I.P., Insurgency, Synergy, and Zombie Panic. Existing owners of any game using Valve’s Source engine will be able to download and play any of the mods for free.

All of the mods use the Steamworks toolset, which provides stat tracking and full integration with the Steam community. Once installed, the mods will appear in the “My Games” list like any other retail title, and will also receive the same automatic updates when available.

"We're excited to see mod developers get wider recognition for the hard work they have done, and we hope to support more mod teams in the future," says an official statement on the Steam website.

Source: Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20429).

I'm glad they included Synergy coop mod, that's one of my favorites. I would love to see Cinematic Mod here, but with the huge size of that mod I highly doubt it.

Burnt_Ram
09-29-08, 08:17 PM
the this good news! i play a couple source mod's and now they will update through steam. no more having to dl the updates seperately. not to mention this will attract a lot of new players.

CaptNKILL
09-29-08, 08:41 PM
I'm probably going to DL all of these. Good stuff. :)

Sk8rdd00
09-29-08, 08:45 PM
Finally. Hopefully this will get more people into mods like back in the day with HL1.

CaptNKILL
09-29-08, 10:02 PM
Finally. Hopefully this will get more people into mods like back in the day with HL1.

Yeah, those were the golden days of online gaming. :D

Badboy_12345
09-30-08, 04:35 AM
I want natural selection 2 :(
NS was the best mod ever made for HL1.

jolle
09-30-08, 09:36 AM
I want natural selection 2 :(
NS was the best mod ever made for HL1.
The source mods sure take their sweet time.
NS2, SvenCoop 2, Alien Swarm: Infested..
How long was it since HL2 was released anyway? most of these started even before that on content and with the SDK.

six_storm
09-30-08, 09:51 AM
DIPRIP looks kinda cool. Zombie Panic is ok but it needs a TON of work IMO.

blizzle
09-30-08, 10:20 AM
I can't wait for Synergy OB. Such a blast playing HL2 Coop.

LT.Schaffer
09-30-08, 11:24 AM
+1 for Synergy:D Awesome Coop:)

nemecb
09-30-08, 01:24 PM
Zombie Panic is ok but it needs a TON of work IMO.
Still? That's too bad. I played it quite a while ago and there were some serious gameplay flaws that it sounded like they had fixed, but I haven't played it recently. Somebody seriously needs to hire their level designers though because some of their maps are fantastic.

six_storm
09-30-08, 01:48 PM
Still? That's too bad. I played it quite a while ago and there were some serious gameplay flaws that it sounded like they had fixed, but I haven't played it recently. Somebody seriously needs to hire their level designers though because some of their maps are fantastic.

My questions are: Why aren't the zombies faster, more rapid? Why as a zombie do I get pushed 50 feet backwards when shot with a pistol? Why do I get kicked out to a spec. when I die twice as a zombie?

nemecb
09-30-08, 04:09 PM
My questions are: Why aren't the zombies faster, more rapid? Why as a zombie do I get pushed 50 feet backwards when shot with a pistol? Why do I get kicked out to a spec. when I die twice as a zombie?
I suspect the last one is to keep lamers from dying over and over as zombies, but the other two were my biggest problems with it last time I played. Once the humans learned where the good weapons were they could just camp out somewhere inaccessible and blow away any zombie that dared to show its face. We always ended up with huge stalemates once people started to learn how the game worked.