PDA

View Full Version : USB Floppy Question

Riptide
05-18-03, 09:21 AM
Gentlemen, I decided to leave my old floppy drive out of my system when I got my new Lian Li case.

Naturally, I have a need for it now. Can you boot off of a USB floppy drive or not? I would prefer to just go out and buy a USB floppy instead of having to put my old one back in there...

The Baron
05-18-03, 10:12 AM
Naturally, I have a need for it now. Can you boot off of a USB floppy drive or not? I would prefer to just go out and buy a USB floppy instead of having to put my old one back in there...

Good question. Some mobos I know you can, mainly newer Intel ones. I think the Granite Bay and Canterwood boards both let you, but I don't know about the 845PE.

But, the Granite Bay and Canterwood boards can boot off of a USB thumbdrive... I'd think USB floppy booting should be there already--just give it a shot.

Riptide
05-18-03, 10:14 AM
I suppose I could always return it if it didn't work... But you know, it'd be nice to avoid the hassle.

Gator
05-19-03, 07:08 AM
I looked up your user's manual from the Asus site, and according to page 4-35 I could not find a listing for USB boot devices :(. This does not mean it doesn't support it, only that the odds are against you. However if you enable Legacy USB support it might help. The safer bet unfortunetly is to get a regular floppy drive and install it. I know you said Lian Li case, but what you can do is paint the bezel to match, or purchase replacement drive bezels direct form Lian Li

Riptide
05-19-03, 08:44 AM
I'm probably going to just put the regular white internal floppy I have in there for a little while and pull it out as soon as I'm done re-loading the OS and setting things up. I'm installing a RAID 0 array this Wednesday so I need that floppy to load the driver w/XP (during the blue screen portion of setup/F6).

Gator
05-19-03, 08:49 AM
put the driver on a CD disc, problem solved ;)

Riptide
05-19-03, 06:39 PM
I'll give it a shot. If I have to I can always power down and put the floppy back in for a bit only to remove it when I'm done. I am still not certain I can access the CD-ROM drive via a drive letter when in the blue screen portion of XP setup. You would assume so since you can boot off CD but I still have a smidgen of doubt... Should be put to rest soon.

My other 36gb Cheetah and RAID controller are on the way. Should be putting the array together Wednesday with any luck.

GlowStick
05-21-03, 05:03 PM
Actually a usb floppy drive costs about 70$, and its BULL

If your mobo supports boot from usb (845's do, if the manufacuter enabled it in the bios or gives you the option) intels all boot from usb.

but back to my point, you can also boot from a USB RAM DRIVE!!!!

buy a 16meg model for 16$ and screw the floppy.

Floppies must die!

Riptide
05-22-03, 12:36 PM
Oh, just to follow up...

During the F6 portion of Windows XP setup (blue screen) you CANNOT access your CD-ROM drive even if you booted off the disc. So yes, I had to plug my floppy back in to load the driver support I needed. Is that dumb? Well, I think so... If you can boot off the stupid frickin CD you'd think you ought to be able to use a CD to load that additional driver support from right? But no... They had to make it a hassle, as usual.

These are reasons why some people like Macintoshes. There aren't many, I imagine, but this is one of them.

Gator
05-23-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Oh, just to follow up...

During the F6 portion of Windows XP setup (blue screen) you CANNOT access your CD-ROM drive even if you booted off the disc. So yes, I had to plug my floppy back in to load the driver support I needed. Is that dumb? Well, I think so... If you can boot off the stupid frickin CD you'd think you ought to be able to use a CD to load that additional driver support from right? But no... They had to make it a hassle, as usual.

These are reasons why some people like Macintoshes. There aren't many, I imagine, but this is one of them.

this is probably too after the fact, but I don't suppose you have more than one CD drive do you? If so, maybe the OS cd needs to remain, but perhapps it would allow to read off a different drive letter? If not, then ya that's Microsoft's fault not the PC so much. But lets be honest for a second... whats the big deal about having a floppy installed? I've been using the same floppy drive for over a decade now, comes in handy every once in a blue moon.

GlowStick
05-23-03, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Gator
this is probably too after the fact, but I don't suppose you have more than one CD drive do you? If so, maybe the OS cd needs to remain, but perhapps it would allow to read off a different drive letter? If not, then ya that's Microsoft's fault not the PC so much. But lets be honest for a second... whats the big deal about having a floppy installed? I've been using the same floppy drive for over a decade now, comes in handy every once in a blue moon.

Most new lap tops dont have them, or they cann only have one cdrom in or 1 floppy, Enter the usb memory stick

Riptide
05-23-03, 11:15 AM
OH yes, it is assuredly microsoft's fault. It absolutely requires talking to a FLOPPY drive in order to load that driver support during that portion of setup.

Want to hear some other stupidity? During the "Installing Devices" portion of setup I always lose my USB mouse/keyboard for a few seconds while it detects and loads devices. With the adaptec RAID driver it comes up with a screen asking me if I want to load the driver (Yes/No, it's not WHQL certified, etc.). Guess what? Kinda hard to click yes there when you just lost your mouse AND your keyboard. Weeee... So I not only had to plug in my floppy but ALSO make sure I used the PS/2 adapter for the USB keyboard.

Real smart design there.

Oh, and whoever mentioned about how USB floppy drives are priced ridiculous... I agree. $40 minimum for a stinking floppy drive? Someone should have their head examined.