PDA

View Full Version : Got sick and tired of PS3's underachieved games..

Pages : [1] 2 3

Destroy
09-30-08, 10:04 AM
and bought a 360.

Baja: Edge of Control (I really like the game; love racing across open dirt worlds like Motocross Madness!!!) was the final straw. Jaggies all over, stuttering frame rates, lesser resolution crap.
The 360, most of the time, gets the superior game between the 2.

Here look.. red car is 360

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4695/img9377ma8.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9377ma8.jpg)http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4104/img9379wh8.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9379wh8.jpg)http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9383/img9374jo3.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9374jo3.jpg)http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/414/img9373gz1.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9373gz1.jpg)
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9155/img9376yc7.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9376yc7.jpg)http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/274/img9378sn8.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9378sn8.jpg)http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5908/img9375ro2.th.jpg (http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9375ro2.jpg)http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3517/img9372fk1.th.jpg (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9372fk1.jpg)

I still prefer the PS3 controller but I can deal with that. Looking forward to playing games how they were meant to be played(sic) on the 360, and of course the exclusives I've missed.

Ninjaman09
09-30-08, 10:44 AM
Grats. MY 360's been sitting in a closet since last November and I power on my PS3 daily. :p

|MaguS|
09-30-08, 11:13 AM
So you got an X360 to play a ****ty game when Motorstorm 1/2 is better then it in every way... congrats.

LordJuanlo
09-30-08, 11:37 AM
From my own experience on my 360 and a friend's PS3, 99% of multiplatform games are better on the 360 than on the PS3: better framerate, and sometimes even better graphics (higher internal resolution, although console always upscales to match your TV).

My friend bought the PS3 for Metal Gear Solid, he also has a 360 connected to the same HDTV, and the games we have tried on both consoles (GTA IV and The Darkness are the games we have tried more) show always a better experience on the Microsoft console.

However PS3 has free multiplayer and some very nice exclusive games, so as my friend says, the best option is to have both.

Q
09-30-08, 11:46 AM
The Darkness is SO much better on the 360 than the PS3. I was wondering how GTA would fair.

I would get a 360, but I already have a Wii, PS3, and decent gaming PC....

sammy sung
09-30-08, 12:39 PM
From my own experience on my 360 and a friend's PS3, 99% of multiplatform games are better on the 360 than on the PS3: better framerate, and sometimes even better graphics (higher internal resolution, although console always upscales to match your TV).

My friend bought the PS3 for Metal Gear Solid, he also has a 360 connected to the same HDTV, and the games we have tried on both consoles (GTA IV and The Darkness are the games we have tried more) show always a better experience on the Microsoft console.

However PS3 has free multiplayer and some very nice exclusive games, so as my friend says, the best option is to have both.

A friend of mine works as a Voice over producer for Dice here in stockholm,he is currently working on Mirrors Edge.Their leadconsole is the PS3 and he claims that the PS3 hardware and its abilitys are superior to the 360.

The main problem though is that 95% of all games are developed for the 360 and pc and then ported to the PS3.It wont handle those ports well,the arcitechture differs far too much and the developing tools are MUCH worse than for the 360.A example he gave was Battlefield bad company,it was designed for the 360 and then ported to the PS3 and he said that they had to limit the fps on the 360 version to 30 so the PS3 owners wouldnt notice a difference since it wouldnt run better than that on the PS3 .

It was the same for the PS2 but according to him a game designed from the ground up (like uncharted) will look and run better than 360 games with more detail etc.

They also had to develop their own lighting tools for UE3 as the built in engine wasnt good enough.The game will run at 720p and he said that compared to the 360 version the ps3 version will have a more cinematic feel whereas the 360 version of the game will look a bit crisper.

Destroy
09-30-08, 01:01 PM

Exactly. I got tired of having a 2nd rate gaming experience when most of my friends flourished on their 360s

Well now I own both so guess I can be happy from now on. :)

Aside, this 360 sure is noisy. Stuck the thing in my closet and closed the door with wires running underneath. Ahhh..pure silent now.

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 01:46 PM
A friend of mine works as a Voice over producer for Dice here in stockholm,he is currently working on Mirrors Edge.Their leadconsole is the PS3 and he claims that the PS3 hardware and its abilitys are superior to the 360.

The main problem though is that 95% of all games are developed for the 360 and pc and then ported to the PS3.It wont handle those ports well,the arcitechture differs far too much and the developing tools are MUCH worse than for the 360.A example he gave was Battlefield bad company,it was designed for the 360 and then ported to the PS3 and he said that they had to limit the fps on the 360 version to 30 so the PS3 owners wouldnt notice a difference since it wouldnt run better than that on the PS3 .

It was the same for the PS2 but according to him a game designed from the ground up (like uncharted) will look and run better than 360 games with more detail etc.

They also had to develop their own lighting tools for UE3 as the built in engine wasnt good enough.The game will run at 720p and he said that compared to the 360 version the ps3 version will have a more cinematic feel whereas the 360 version of the game will look a bit crisper.

^This.

Ports of 360 games to the PS3 are hard to do, but companies are getting better. Games designed from the ground up for PS3 tend to be amazing... I have never seen anything as smooth running and amazing looking as Ratchet and Clank Future and Uncharted: Drake's Fotune. They're simply two of the best technical acheievements on ANY modern console.

The PS3 is amazing when handled by the right developer, in short.

I usually compare demos if possible and get the better version. When no demo is available I look for feedback and early reviews. I have a few games on PS3 that were also on 360... Devil May Cry 4 is better on PS3 in my opinion, as is The Force Unleashed.

In any event, own both. It's a good thing.

|MaguS|
09-30-08, 01:49 PM
Aside, this 360 sure is noisy. Stuck the thing in my closet and closed the door with wires running underneath. Ahhh..pure silent now.

Welp, I give your X360 a month then, lol.

Destroy
10-05-08, 09:06 AM
After checking out many cross platform demos, it's infuriating how much better they all run and look on 360 vs the PS3. It really is like night and day. If I could return my PS3 to send a msg to Sony of their poor game quality control, I would but they got my money already. :(

crainger
10-05-08, 09:32 AM
After checking out many cross platform demos, it's infuriating how much better they all run and look on 360 vs the PS3. It really is like night and day. If I could return my PS3 to send a msg to Sony of their poor game quality control, I would but they got my money already. :(

I've owned both 360 and PS3 for quite sometime and have compared most demos released on both platforms. I can say I've never seen a huge difference, only game I really only noticed was The Darkness and the early EA stuff like NFS Carbon. Everything else is the same, if not slightly smoother.

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 10:16 AM

Sony has no control of what other publishers release... They can only grant publishers rights to put a title on their console, they can't control its quality.

What recent games (other then Baja since THQ pretty much sucks in the console market anyway) have you compared?

Early PS3 titles were behind the X360 but many in the last year have been equal or better on the PS3 and with Exclusive titles surpassing anything on any other console, it will only get better.

BTW I love how a single person thinks they will send a msg to a huge corporation. I see this all the time even at at&t, someone threatens to cancel unless they get what they want thinking that we will bow to there demands because they have 2 lines with us...

Lyme
10-05-08, 10:22 AM
It is very sad to see developers not do a better job on cross platform titles, they really should be the same across the board. It isn't completely unexpected as Sony really really dropped the ball on developer support in the first few years, and now those games are showing it.
Developers doing cross platform titles should always use the ps3 as their lead platform, because of it's design limitations. Porting code from the ps3 to the 360 and optimizing it is significantly easier than going the other way around.

Lyme
10-05-08, 10:24 AM
Exclusive titles surpassing anything on any other console

How would anyone ever know? With a exclusive there is never any chance of comparing anything remotely similar.

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 10:25 AM
It is very sad to see developers not do a better job on cross platform titles, they really should be the same across the board. It isn't completely unexpected as Sony really really dropped the ball on developer support in the first few years, and now those games are showing it.
Developers doing cross platform titles should always use the ps3 as their lead platform, because of it's design limitations. Porting code from the ps3 to the 360 and optimizing it is significantly easier than going the other way around.

Yeah in the beginning Sony dropped the ball big time but they made headway and a title this far into the consoles life should not be such a mess. The developers just didn't care about giving both consoles the same experience, they worked with the X360 and did a half ass job on the port.

Buio
10-05-08, 10:28 AM
BTW I love how a single person thinks they will send a msg to a huge corporation. I see this all the time even at at&t, someone threatens to cancel unless they get what they want thinking that we will bow to there demands because they have 2 lines with us...

You are missing the point. A consumers best weapon is not to buy the product but instead get it from another producer or not get it at all. Yeah, one person doesn't matter for the company, but for himself he made a good choice. But if many do the same thing, it will be noticeable (i.e. the company angered many customers).

Regarding consoles, I bet many customers might have ignored the 360 earlier on because of the bad rep it had due to RROD problems. Which may have got PS3 more customers.

So if that's true Mirrors edge will look a lot better on the PS3 then? As the game is not to far ahead it will be fun to check if that is true.

In my opinion, the differences are not big hardware wise. Well they do exist, like the Cell can have a CPU advantage if the company manages to max it's usage. But even so the 360 has 3 full CPU cores. The biggest difference is the storage capacity, which a game like the upcoming Rage could have used more of on the 360.

Anyway, saying that the PS3 "is superior" sounds like he's a PS3 fan. A more reasonable comment would be that the PS3 has a slight advantage hardware wise, and a big storage advantage.

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 10:32 AM
You are missing the point. A consumers best weapon is not to buy the product but instead get it from another producer or not get it at all. Yeah, one person doesn't matter for the company, but for himself he made a good choice. But if many do the same thing, it will be noticeable (i.e. the company made some bad choices and angered many customers).

The consumer thinks that his single decision will make a dent into a large corporations sales or profits. The only way a consumer could make a blip on the radar it is if they start a protest or a mass boycott of their products but claiming your going to send a msg by returning a product or canceling your small plan with a wireless carrier does not even make a blip on their radar, heck I bet Sony wont even know that he returned his system...

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 10:34 AM
Regarding consoles, I bet many customers might have ignored the 360 earlier on because of the bad rep it had due to RROD problems. Which may have got PS3 more customers.

Theres a difference the RROD problem was all over the media and news. It was a HUGE issue, poor ports are barely being registered with anyone because the average user will never know the difference since the average console owner does not care enough to buy the game for two systems and compare them. Sure they will read the reviews but if they only own a single console they will still buy the game if they want to play it.

NarcissistZero
10-05-08, 10:38 AM
How would anyone ever know? With a exclusive there is never any chance of comparing anything remotely similar.

Well, for one example, there isn't a game on any console that looks as good as Uncharted. Uncharted, to me, looks as good as Crysis in most respects. From textures to animation, lighting to particle effects, that game is a powerhouse.

So I think the end point is that if you can make a game as amazing looking as Uncharted on PS3, there is no reason for The Darkness to completely lack AA on PS3, or for Bioshock to look so blurry on PS3, and other such comparisons. It pretty much proves it is not the PS3's fault, but rather developers basing everything on PC/360 specs, and then being lazy about porting the games over.

Still, as MaguS says, most games recently have been much closer, if not identical. I know comparing Pure I saw no difference at all, and I found Star Wars TFU to look better on PS3 thanks to no screen tearing. I know EA is developing Dead Space and Mirror's Edge on PS3 first, then porting to 360, so that the games will be more identical. So... end point: things are changing.

In the end I find these "360 or PS3" topics to be silly. The answer is that BOTH systems have advantages and disadvantages, and if you want to play every awesome console game and get the best version of every multi-platform game, you need to own BOTH consoles. If you don't have the money to do so then fine, pick one and enjoy it, but don't bash the other simply because you can't afford it.

Buio
10-05-08, 10:52 AM
The consumer thinks that his single decision will make a dent into a large corporations sales or profits. The only way a consumer could make a blip on the radar it is if they start a protest or a mass boycott of their products but claiming your going to send a msg by returning a product or canceling your small plan with a wireless carrier does not even make a blip on their radar, heck I bet Sony wont even know that he returned his system...

It doesn't matter, because the customer was happy with his change. And if he did post on a forum that he changed because the product sucked and had some proof to his point, it will get noticed. Internet can be quite powerful. But only if he isn't the single unhappy customer of course.

Lyme
10-05-08, 11:00 AM
Well, for one example, there isn't a game on any console that looks as good as Uncharted. Uncharted, to me, looks as good as Crysis in most respects. From textures to animation, lighting to particle effects, that game is a powerhouse.

So I think the end point is that if you can make a game as amazing looking as Uncharted on PS3, there is no reason for The Darkness to completely lack AA on PS3, or for Bioshock to look so blurry on PS3, and other such comparisons. It pretty much proves it is not the PS3's fault, but rather developers basing everything on PC/360 specs, and then being lazy about porting the games over.

In reverse order:
Your right it isn't the PS3s fault, it is the developers and Sony. The developers for accepting a substandard product, and Sony for not providing enough 3rd party developer support. With the amount of work and knowledge required to write for consoles these days, simply giving dev consoles with a lack of development tools to game companies is appalling.

I do not doubt that Uncharted looks and plays great, but when designing and creating single console titles you can optimize for that console (which improves many things), and being a 1st party developer means that you can spend more time (and money) on a title than it may actually be worth. As such 1st party titles have quite a unfair advantage due to the differences in development and cost.

Destroy
10-05-08, 11:09 AM

Sadly you are right, just like voting, the minority few doesn't matter one bit on the large scale. Just would make me feel better I guess, plus put some $$$ back in my pocket. :D

The games I tried so far MXATV Untamed, The Darkness, Dark Sector, Tiger Woody and Fracture.

NarcissistZero
10-05-08, 12:26 PM
In reverse order:
Your right it isn't the PS3s fault, it is the developers and Sony. The developers for accepting a substandard product, and Sony for not providing enough 3rd party developer support. With the amount of work and knowledge required to write for consoles these days, simply giving dev consoles with a lack of development tools to game companies is appalling.

I do not doubt that Uncharted looks and plays great, but when designing and creating single console titles you can optimize for that console (which improves many things), and being a 1st party developer means that you can spend more time (and money) on a title than it may actually be worth. As such 1st party titles have quite a unfair advantage due to the differences in development and cost.

I've read some articles about Sony training developers on how better to use the cell... maybe they could have done better, I don't know. I'm sure a lot of things are at play though, from developer resources all the way to the 360's earlier launch.

The important thing is that at the end of the day right now most games look identical. I can say to myself "wow, that PS3 Dead Space armor looks cool, I'm going going to get the PS3 version." A year ago there is no way in hell I would have trusted that the PS3 version is not severely crippled compared to the 360 one.

crainger
10-05-08, 05:07 PM
Uncharted and MGS4. All the proof needed that PS3 can do it, it's just not that easy right now. ::(:

However has NZero said. Sony are addressing this and from what I have seen it's working. Cross platform are mostly identical with the PS3 offering the smoother frame rates. Best example is GTAIV, 360 version for me was pretty bad. PS3 was perfect.

NarcissistZero
10-05-08, 11:10 PM
Best example is GTAIV, 360 version for me was pretty bad. PS3 was perfect.

Where did you hear that? I got the 360 version for the exclusive DLC and I never had framerate problems... also, they look identical: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33469.html