PDA

View Full Version : EA's C&C-based squad shooter, Tiberium - Cancelled

rudedog
09-30-08, 02:32 PM
I was just sent a link via twitter regarding EA's Tiberium project being shut down and some staff let go.

Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5057012/ea-axes-tiberium-for-not-meeting-standards)obtained a copy of the internal memo sent to staff earlier today It is with a heavy heart that I announce an end to all work on Tiberium effective immediately. I've consulted with Nick Earl and Frank Gibeau at the EA Games Label and together we have reached the conclusion that given the time and resources remaining, we will not be able to deliver this product to an appropriate level of quality.
The game had fundamental design challenges from the start. We fought to correct the issues, but we were not successful; the game just isn't coming together well enough to meet our own quality expectations as well as those of our consumers.

Unfortunately, this action will result in several individuals on the team being released. We will make every effort to place affected individuals on projects within the studio and where that isn't possible, to connect them with opportunities in other teams at EA.

This is the right move for the studio and the company, but it's particularly hard for me because of the impact it will have on our people. Many individuals contributed their time and talents to this game. I spent time in the trenches with them and I was continually impressed by their work.

Moving forward, we need to make sure this doesn't happen again. I believe we are already doing a better job of engineering success in from the start. The quality bar has been raised. Now we need to step up our focus on great design and execution, catching any problems early and correcting them quickly.

We will strive to live up to our values: To make great games, treat people right, keep our commitments, and grow our business.
Playa Vista, CA 90094

CaptNKILL
09-30-08, 02:53 PM
Probably for the best. I didn't see a whole lot of potential with this one.

methimpikehoses
09-30-08, 02:59 PM
fail

H3avyM3tal
09-30-08, 05:23 PM
The milk got sour on that one.
And I don't like that kind of milk.

Dudes.

NaitoSan
09-30-08, 05:48 PM
To be honest, I'm glad this got cancelled. It didn't look good as time goes by. But I feel bad for some who got let go.

NarcissistZero
09-30-08, 06:26 PM
Wow... surprising, to me at least. Huge cover story in Game Informer and it seemed like they were paying for a lot of hype... then it gets cancelled very shorty after.

The pics of the game did look really rough... I assumed it would be delayed and worked on more though, not outright stopped. Oh well.

Sk8rdd00
09-30-08, 07:47 PM
EA should just let the C&C franchise die already. Its way past its prime IMO.

JasonPC
09-30-08, 08:39 PM
You haven't seen the cast they got for RA3?

crainger
09-30-08, 09:22 PM

LOL

WTF?!

CnC3 and as mentioned RA3 are seriously kick arse games.

You my friend are full of fail.

NaitoSan
09-30-08, 09:32 PM
I disagree, C&C3 and RA3 are excellent.

AthlonXP1800
10-01-08, 12:04 AM
Really shame I will never see the game in the light of day, guess EA made the right decision to cancelled it as it took too long to develop and fix problems for 2010 release so EA wanted to reduce time develop and fix problems quick.

Lfctony
10-01-08, 12:28 AM
Better than releasing a crappy game. At least they realized that releasing a bad game is worse than not releasing one at all.

nutcrackr
10-01-08, 02:23 AM
Must have been really bad if EA couldn't sell it :p

tbh it always looked like grade A mediocrity from the start.

crainger
10-01-08, 02:24 AM
Look at all these chumps claiming they knew along it was a crap game. I say HA! to you all and a big F U to Blizzard!

CaptNKILL
10-01-08, 02:27 AM
Game would have succeeded if it had a few semi-hot chicks in it.

nutcrackr
10-01-08, 02:36 AM
Look at all these chumps claiming they knew along it was a crap game. I say HA! to you all and a big F U to Blizzard!

I called it (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1727546&postcount=5)

(nana2)

crainger
10-01-08, 03:29 AM
Well how about that. You almost pwnd me. Too bad I'm always uber mega God at all things.

K007
10-01-08, 04:52 AM
This is smart.

I would have rather seen the next renegade...it is a shame they did have to shut this down because it looked like they did put a lot of effort, but the engine they were going to use didn't look that impressive...game was more like a bf2142 mod...

rudedog
10-01-08, 05:14 AM
From my experience with EA, it's not a developer level problems that cause us all to hate EA it's the higher ups.

I'm hoping this was not their sacrificial lamb to make us all think they have changed.

stncttr908
10-01-08, 11:32 AM
I remember all the "exclusive" stuff on Gametrailers TV about this. A bit funny to see it go by the wayside after the hype machine started churning so early.

Destroy
10-01-08, 12:49 PM
Is it really that hard to make a cool FPS in a C&C world? Guess so.

Monolyth
10-01-08, 02:12 PM
Is it really that hard to make a cool FPS in a C&C world? Guess so.

Flame tank rush.

rudedog
10-02-08, 08:15 AM
You want some drama with this news, head on over to gamasutra.com and read some of the comments from EA insiders....

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20462

Dazz
10-02-08, 04:43 PM
I agree i am a little upset that we will never see it but is good that EA are now lookinh into quaility rather the quantity like they had done so in the past. It's for the best, a same really but oh well thats the changing market for you.