PDA

View Full Version : Virtualization

DiscipleDOC
09-30-08, 09:20 PM
I need some suggestions about what is the best virtualization plan to go to. I'm tired of bad backup tapes, and I need to go to the next level with virtualization.

Currently, I'm looking at vmware. I will do some studying up on it, but I want to make sure that's the best way to go.

I briefly looked into virtual server 2005 at my previous job, but I don't know enough about it to know where to even start.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Q
09-30-08, 09:38 PM
How much money are you looking to spend?

Virtual Infrastructure is the way to go if you have the money. Its the VMWare suite with ESX(i) as the focus, but you need the hardware and cash to do so.

I'm heavy into this stuff at work right now. I'll post some more tomorrow and will help you in any way I can.

DiscipleDOC
09-30-08, 09:57 PM
How much money are you looking to spend?

Virtual Infrastructure is the way to go if you have the money. Its the VMWare suite with ESX(i) as the focus, but you need the hardware and cash to do so.

I'm heavy into this stuff at work right now. I'll post some more tomorrow and will help you in any way I can.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I do want to look into VMWare though....

I think that I have the hardware. I'm looking for the software to use.

zoomy942
09-30-08, 10:30 PM
hey doc - I am deep into this as well at Webb (my company). I am going to be pitching it to management for a next year project so I have been reading alot about it.

The 2 that I like are Xen and VMWare. MS's product is terrible in my humble opinion mainly becase it requires you run it on Server 2008. To me, this means reinstalling all my apps and having to start over. not an option on a network of my size or complexity. Also, the footprint for MS's virtual is 2.8GB while the VMware solution is only 32MB and runs on Linux - so its 100% stable.

That being said, to me VMWare will win my thinking for one factor alone...

it will migrate a hardware server into a virtual environment as a part of the install process. That right there is the single best feature I have ever come across. I dont have to reinstall anything. I migrate, bring it online and I'm done (in a perfect world of course).

I will post more info tomorrow also.

any questions so far buddy?

jcrox
09-30-08, 11:23 PM
I don't know much about it myself other than we use VMWare at work and our infrastructure/security manager swears by it. I have a licensed copy through school that I use here at home for homework. I've never tried anything else to compare it to but it's definitely fairly easy to use :thumbsup:

Q
10-01-08, 07:41 AM
ESXi might be the setup for you. It only has a 50mb hard disk install. All it does is run VMs, but you should check out the compatible hardware list first. We've got it running fine on some IBM Blades and Dell Poweredge 1750 and 1950s. You can't automate snapshots like you can with the expensive licenses, but you can run them whenever you like manually.

Also, its free. Absolutely free.

Give this a shot first and foremost. Just make sure you download the VMWare Converter tool. You can virtualize any physical server with this tool. It's damn sweet, and free as well.

zoomy942
10-01-08, 09:32 AM
ESXi might be the setup for you. It only has a 50mb hard disk install. All it does is run VMs, but you should check out the compatible hardware list first. We've got it running fine on some IBM Blades and Dell Poweredge 1750 and 1950s. You can't automate snapshots like you can with the expensive licenses, but you can run them whenever you like manually.

Give this a shot first and foremost. Just make sure you download the VMWare Converter tool. You can virtualize any physical server with this tool. It's damn sweet, and free as well.

100% agree and concur.

DiscipleDOC
10-01-08, 10:24 AM

I'm d'loading it now. I have a PE 1950 that I'm going to install it on.

zoomy942
10-01-08, 11:43 AM
Let us know how it goes.

I think you will love it. I personally cant wait to move my company to a Virtual environment.

DiscipleDOC
10-03-08, 10:59 AM
Oh...I'm liking this. This is fast and I can see a LOT of potential in this. I'm using VMWare EXi on a 500 GB drive, and I already got a server up and running with it. I'm about to do more!

This is going to be my little pet project for the next several months.

zoomy942
10-03-08, 01:52 PM
Oh...I'm liking this. This is fast and I can see a LOT of potential in this. I'm using VMWare EXi on a 500 GB drive, and I already got a server up and running with it. I'm about to do more!

This is going to be my little pet project for the next several months.

the nice thing is when you start duplicating servers - meaning if one crashes, you can be back online in 5 minutes instead of 17 hours (which is how long it took me to restore my company from nothin on that fateful may 14 this year).

thats why i am going to push for it. instant failover - no more downtime.

DiscipleDOC
10-03-08, 03:39 PM
HOW COME NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT VMWARE WAS THE SHIZZLE? i BLAME ALL OF YOU FOR KEEPING THIS A SECRET FROM ME!!!

Seriously, I'm loving this. I got two servers up and running on this, and I'm about to do a winxp machine as well.

Q
10-03-08, 03:40 PM
HOW COME NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT VMWARE WAS THE SHIZZLE? i BLAME ALL OF YOU FOR KEEPING THIS A SECRET FROM ME!!!

Seriously, I'm loving this. I got two servers up and running on this, and I'm about to do a winxp machine as well.

It IS the shizzle for rizzle my ni.....

Well you know what I mean.

DiscipleDOC
10-03-08, 03:46 PM
It IS the shizzle for rizzle my ni.....

Well you know what I mean.

Don't be a racist, Steve McQueer! :thumdwn:

Another question: How do I do a backup of the configuration? Forexample: I want to move this vm infrastructure to another server....

zoomy942
10-03-08, 04:12 PM
I think you can install VM on that new server and is there an option to import your other images?

outside of that - yes VM'ing rocks. I run Ubuntu and have Sun VirtualBox with Win XP and Win Vista in virtual images for my users. it rocks the kazba

DiscipleDOC
10-03-08, 04:40 PM
I think you can install VM on that new server and is there an option to import your other images?

outside of that - yes VM'ing rocks. I run Ubuntu and have Sun VirtualBox with Win XP and Win Vista in virtual images for my users. it rocks the kazba

Ok...you just lost me. how can I run those images...?

Also, what are the limitations of VMWare?

Q
10-03-08, 07:56 PM
Ok...you just lost me. how can I run those images...?

Also, what are the limitations of VMWare?

I'm pretty sure you can use the VMWare converter tool to move VMs from one ESXi host to another. For the actual configuration of ESXi like the Virtual Networks, etc... I'm not quite sure. I haven't had to do that yet. You'd probably need the more robust VMWare infrastructure to do that.

I would call VMWare and have one of their people put on a sales show for you on the higher end products. They're pricey, but they are well worth it. At the very least they'll tell you what the products will and will not do.

For example, with Infrastructure you can have 2 or more ESX servers hooked up to a SAN. If you are running a VM on host 1 and host 1 goes down, it will seamlessly kick over to host 2. It will also do the same thing with the VM image if you have 2 SANs attached and one goes down. It's pretty kick ass.

yuriz43
10-04-08, 04:51 AM
It really depends on your specific needs. In many cases VMware is the way to go, but there are also MANY alternatives.

My company is big on Virtualization and we use Xen. Granted most of our guest operating systems are various distributions of linux, we do have a good amount of win 2k8, 2k3 DomU's running just fine.

You should check it out. Oh, and it's free :)

wollyka
10-04-08, 06:33 AM
1 question: ESXi runs only on supported servers right? To try virtualization on a desktop pc (for multiple OSes environment ) , i should try the demo of Vmware workstation (or MS virtual PC 2007)
PS: sorry, very newbie in those things :) thx

zoomy942
10-04-08, 07:43 AM
i will see if my older brother wants to chime in here. he has been using virtual software for years and years

Q
10-04-08, 09:00 AM
1 question: ESXi runs only on supported servers right? To try virtualization on a desktop pc (for multiple OSes environment ) , i should try the demo of Vmware workstation (or MS virtual PC 2007)
PS: sorry, very newbie in those things :) thx

Correct, ESXi only runs on supported servers. On the desktop I recommend VMWare Server or Virtual PC for free. If you want the best on the desktop you'll have to pay for VMWare Workstation.

zoomy942
10-04-08, 10:42 AM
Correct, ESXi only runs on supported servers. On the desktop I recommend VMWare Server or Virtual PC for free. If you want the best on the desktop you'll have to pay for VMWare Workstation.

Sun's VirtualBox is my favorite for desktops

wollyka
10-04-08, 10:52 AM
ok thanks for the recommendation, already tried PC virtual server, time to see what VM has to offer with both their versions

wollyka
10-16-08, 06:17 PM
it seems Virtual PC 2007 emulates the vga as S3 Trio64 which is weak to play older games on Windows 95 (Wing commander 3 sometimes gives black screen), does anybody know what king of VGA does the VMware server and workstation emulates under Windows 95? Also which ones support 3D acceleration to play older games on Windows 98 with 3dfx or direct3d (tomb raider 2 etc..)
Thanks

zoomy942
10-16-08, 08:33 PM
as of now, vmware 6.5 is the only virtualization program to support all the directx's up to 9.0c. while its still virtual, therefore not very fast, no other software can even come close to this feature. bravo to vmware. well done.