PDA

View Full Version : The descision has been irrevocably made.

Darth Rancid
05-18-03, 02:47 PM
Parts for new system ordered.

It will be an Intel / ATi box... aiming alot more at low price, quietness and stability than flat-out performance. The important parts are:

2.4Ghz Celeron
ASUS Mobo
512Mb DDR RAM
Hercules 3D Prophet 9500Pro

Will be first time ever with ATi for me... always kept to 3dfx and S3 in the past. (I did own a Gf3Ti200 for a short period of time too, but it refused to work in my P3-box. Or rather, my faulty mainboard refused to work with any AGP board other than my Voodoo5)

-=DVS=-
05-18-03, 03:50 PM
You made one HOrrible mistake P4 Celerons suck so much you can even imagine , take 60% of that MHz cloak and that is what you getting :eek: Read some reviews first before buying ;)

Regular 2ghz Pentium 4 will be much much better even 1.8 P4 :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer
05-18-03, 04:08 PM
Make sure you get a good power supply for that baby, it looks juice heavy! ;)

Darth Rancid
05-18-03, 04:45 PM
I know the present day Celerons are underachievers compared to equally clocked real P4s, but only 60% of P4 seems a bit harsh?.. I've seen numbers indicating 75-80% depending on what task you do. (I guess you'd be down at 60 and probably even worse if you'd use it as a SQL server though :) )

The reason I chose Celery is their quieter fans and lower power consumption, this box will mainly be used for surfing, IRC and some light gaming...
From the numbers I've seen, it should be up to the task.. but since I got a day or two until the order is
really irrevocable, I check those numbers once again...

The PSU is supposed to be a good one, but this machine shouldn't be THAT power hungry... Compared to 3Ghz P4s and AMD thingys the Celery isn't much of a power-hog is it?...

Headbust
05-18-03, 06:23 PM
wow what are you thinking going with a celeron?..you might as well buy a emachine

DaveW
05-19-03, 08:22 PM
Yeah, Celerons aren't what they used to be. Neither are ASUS motherboards IMO. Sorry to bash your purchasing decision, but if you are going to post here for our opinion you should have done it before you purchase, not after ;) On the plus side, that 9500
Pro should give you GF4 Ti speeds with better FSAA performance. Once you see ATI's anti-aliasing, you will never go back to nVidia's quin****s.