PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Homecoming

Pages : [1] 2

Severian126
10-02-08, 02:48 AM
I see no thread about this game. Anybody tried it yet? I see IGN's and 1Up's reviews, and both are average. I'm wondering what you guys think of it.

crainger
10-02-08, 03:15 AM
Never played a Silent Hill game. Not sure if I want too. Looks too scary.

::bleh::

NaitoSan
10-02-08, 06:04 AM
Never played a Silent Hill game. Not sure if I want too. Looks too scary.

::bleh::
You should. At least the first game. It's a classic.

Mr. Hunt
10-02-08, 06:13 AM
Never got too hyped for this game when I found out it wasn't being done by the original studio again... I thought 4 (The Room) was alright... but definitely not on par with 1-3 (with 2 being so freaking good I can't even stand it almost). But when I found out this was out I almost got semi-hyped... then I watched the review and everything I feared seems to be true... good game for a game... but not a good Silent Hill. Might get it eventually when it comes down in price though.

NarcissistZero
10-02-08, 07:48 AM
I thought a western developer could make this a game I would like, but from what I have read it plays just like an old Silent Hill.

I was never a fan of the limited ammo/run away/bad controls/bad camera angles thing. I like the idea of the old games, but not the function.

|MaguS|
10-02-08, 08:14 AM
Well IGN review states that its far more action based then hen past titles, aswell as having improved controls and camera.

I got mine coming in from amazon so i will give my impressions as soon as i get it.

tornadog
10-02-08, 10:54 AM
I never liked survival horror games except maybe House of the dead. And now with a 2 year old in the house, I generally stick away from extreme violence and gore...

still working on that vacation for my wife and kid in november when GOW2 and R2 come out!!!!

NaitoSan
10-02-08, 11:28 AM
IGN also complained that main character seems to have more experience in combat, which probably takes away the tense and whatnot. In previous Silent Hill games, main character has almost no experience in handling the weapon, which makes them really slow or arkward.

Feeling vulnerable is one of main thing about Silent Hill, so looks like Homecoming took that away.

Severian126
10-02-08, 12:56 PM
Well IGN review states that its far more action based then hen past titles, aswell as having improved controls and camera.

I got mine coming in from amazon so i will give my impressions as soon as i get it.

Sweet, thanks in advance Magus. I'm still debating whether or not I should pick it up.

The first game scared me pretty good, the second one had me tense but I finished it too (alone and in the dark with the music cranked up, mind you). Three was actually decent, 4 was bleh with the game mechanics but the scares were there.

As opposed to this review, I find it appealing that the protagonist this time around actually has a bit more moves in his arsenal. It may take away from the feeling of vulnerability, but as long as they nail down the atmosphere I think it should be ok.

I guess the important thing to me is how scary it is, and from what some of the reviews say, it isn't on par with previous entries in the series. But I'll continue to read what you guys think before making my decision.

SilentMercury
10-03-08, 03:40 AM
I've always been a big Silent Hill fan, still have 2,3, and 4 for the PC and Origins on PSP. I don't know what to think about this one. Anxious to see someone post their opinion.

NaitoSan
10-04-08, 10:49 AM
I've always been a big Silent Hill fan, still have 2,3, and 4 for the PC and Origins on PSP. I don't know what to think about this one. Anxious to see someone post their opinion.
How's Silent Hill Origins? I almost bought a port for PS2 but decided not to.

|MaguS|
10-04-08, 11:00 AM
How's Silent Hill Origins? I almost bought a port for PS2 but decided not to.

It's decent... nothing special but if you can find it for $20 then its well worth it.

NaitoSan
10-04-08, 11:40 AM
It's decent... nothing special but if you can find it for $20 then its well worth it.
I'm willing to buy it if it's like $10 or less. :o I know I'm cheap but hey, I'm poor college student...

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 12:30 PM
Silent Hill: Homecoming is good... so far its reminding me alot of the original and the second game. In the beginning its very slow paced. I just started it so im not too far into it but Im liking it alot so far. The graphics are good and bad. Sometimes it really looks amazing and other times its just ok.

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 02:08 PM
The Melee combat in this game is great, I love being able to dodge to avoid hits.

crainger
10-05-08, 06:11 PM
Would I have to have had played the previous games to make sense of this one?

Did *I* make sense then?

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 06:13 PM
No, The only thing that ties the games together is the town but stories are usually 100% separate. Some games have mentioned past moments but nothing that would confuse you, this one so far seems to have no ties to any of the games.

You don't get to play remember? Your banned from it!

crainger
10-05-08, 06:50 PM
::(:

NaitoSan
10-05-08, 06:51 PM
No, The only thing that ties the games together is the town but stories are usually 100% separate. Some games have mentioned past moments but nothing that would confuse you, this one so far seems to have no ties to any of the games.

You don't get to play remember? Your banned from it!
Actually just for now. It may be coming sometime in 2009 with some changes to meet MA+15 rating. There's still a hope for Aussies.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/914/914565p1.html

crainger
10-05-08, 06:54 PM
I thought MaGGy was just joking. I didn't know they actually banned it...

I can import though.

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 06:56 PM
I thought MaGGy was just joking. I didn't know they actually banned it...

I can import though.

Im gonna tell! Then Russel Crow is going to kick your ass.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-05-08, 07:56 PM
good game so far. Picked it up today and its creepy as hell... I don't know why but in games like this I have to check every damn door and every nook and crany so that I don't get surprised... and I always do :rofl

I am at the begining and just opened the garage door, those damn things kick your ass pretty quick. Even with the pipe the 2nd one left me with no health and I just got picked off by another one after prying that door open in the playground :headexplode:

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 07:58 PM
I like how you can either open the door normally or bull rush it.

Don't worry about cheap scares, Silent Hill series normally don't rely on them like Resident Evil or Doom 3.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-05-08, 08:04 PM
lol I had less trouble killing the two pyramid heads at the end of Silent Hill 2 than I did with those monsters around the garage :rofl

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 08:09 PM
Learn to dodge... the first couple of monsters kept hitting me but once I mastered dodging I get hit alot less.