PDA

View Full Version : Shame on nvidia!!! Uninstall corrupts msvcr71.dll

tomb18
10-03-08, 08:16 AM
I have a nasty problem that occured when I uninstalled the "nvidia system update"
I regularlly uninstall all nvidia apps when I upgrade drivers. Well this time this is what happened.
The uninstall utility told me it needed to stop some running applications and I said OK. Avast Antivirus then popped up and said that a program was attempting to shut it down . I said OK. From that point on avast would not start anymore on reboot or manually.
Avast reports that msvcr71.dll is missing.
I cannot uninstall Avast using the control panel, or update or repair it (same error) so I downloaded an Avast utility to remove Avast in safe mode.
This went OK. I then attempted to reinstall avast which went OK until it asked me to reboot. It then gave the same error message all over again. Can't find msvcr71.dll.
I placed copies of this file into c:\windows\system,c:]windows\system32.dll,c:]windows\syswow64 with no change.
I rebooted into safe more and placed this into the avast directory. Still no change.
I cannot get avast to work. (I've used this for a long time)
System Vista Ultimate 64bit.
Can anyone help?

nekrosoft13
10-03-08, 08:32 AM
nvidia system update from where?

tomb18
10-03-08, 08:37 AM
The nvidia system update gets installed automatically when you install the nvidia_system_tools_6.02 . If you uninstall this, then you have the problem!

nekrosoft13
10-03-08, 08:47 AM
oh, new ntunes. most people would tell you not to install that. that can cause problems

if it removed DLL, just putting it back in won't fix it.
by the look of the folders seems like you have 64bit OS. you need correct version of both DLL files for your OS

once you place them back in correct location you need to register the dll

tomb18
10-03-08, 08:59 AM
oh, new ntunes. most people would tell you not to install that. that can cause problems

if it removed DLL, just putting it back in won't fix it.
by the look of the folders seems like you have 64bit OS. you need correct version of both DLL files for your OS

once you place them back in correct location you need to register the dll

Tried that. In several directories. Also ran regsrv32 on the file and it reports that an entry point is missing.
Stuck. But nvidia, should never blindly remove this file from the OS or it's directories.

Lith1um
10-05-08, 11:49 AM
Nice to hear that nTune is still a shuddering pile of crap. Nvidia has the worst CP, and nTune has always had evil bugs of one form or another. :thumbdwn:

3d Party guy's can do it, and do it right. But nVidia, with all it's cash, still has a crap human interface between the user and the hardware.

I have a suggestion for them. Fire all those software engineers and hire a crew of 4 or 5 third party devs on contract.

You know nVidia's software sucks when people like EVGA have to post their own app just to control something as basic as clock speeds. (EVGA Precision)

The only people who have worse bundle software than them is ASUS.

tomb18, you might have to try a repair install.

saturnotaku
10-06-08, 06:10 AM
You know nVidia's software sucks when people like EVGA have to post their own app just to control something as basic as clock speeds.

Precision is not technically eVGA's own application. It's basically a highly simplified form of RivaTuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner).

nekrosoft13
10-06-08, 08:03 AM
Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner) the forbidden program

mailman2
10-06-08, 09:07 AM
Its too bad the author of Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner) rapes farm animals.

Absolution
10-07-08, 01:06 PM
Uhhh, I swore there was a protection scheme on every os since like . . . uh, maybe windows 2000 (though I know its on at least xp) that prevents you from deleting key system files.

Though I suppose msvcr71.dll isn't really a key system file. Reinstall the Visual C++ Runtime Libraries. Or you can just search throughout your computer, you'll probably have them littered all over the place, a lot of apps just include one in their own directory so they don't have to rely on the system directory. Some may be different sizes, just make sure you use the one that is the same size as a few others. Or you could snoop around microsoft downloads and try to find the 2003 download. It may be included within the 2008 package for backwards compatibility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en its worth a shot.

MSVCR71.dll = Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Version 7.1 (aka Visual Studio .NET 2003).

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-12-08, 11:39 PM
Uhhh, I swore there was a protection scheme on every os since like . . . uh, maybe windows 2000 (though I know its on at least xp) that prevents you from deleting key system files.

Though I suppose msvcr71.dll isn't really a key system file. Reinstall the Visual C++ Runtime Libraries. Or you can just search throughout your computer, you'll probably have them littered all over the place, a lot of apps just include one in their own directory so they don't have to rely on the system directory. Some may be different sizes, just make sure you use the one that is the same size as a few others. Or you could snoop around microsoft downloads and try to find the 2003 download. It may be included within the 2008 package for backwards compatibility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en its worth a shot.

MSVCR71.dll = Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Version 7.1 (aka Visual Studio .NET 2003).

+1

tomb18
10-14-08, 06:58 PM
+1

Trust me...I've done all that and more.
Nothing, short of reinstalling the os will fix this issue.
On the other hand, alwil software, the makers of avast, are doing everything they can at this poin t to help.
Pretty good for a company that gives the software for free to individuals.
Nvidia should hire them!

Oh and nvidia runs the system update as system...how else could they shut down the services for an antivirus service that does everything to prevent it's corruption!
nvidia programmers seem like a bunch of total amateurs. After years and years, they still can't load a profile with their ntune.

Kromulis
10-15-08, 08:22 AM
I've had the same problem happen to me. My system's corrupt after the uninstall, can't start a bunch of services. I've tried everything only thing that will fix it now is a OS reinstall, which I've been busy at the moment to perform.