PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea: Go play Deus Ex on steam!

Pages : [1] 2

Gaco
10-04-08, 05:58 AM
Here is a tip for those of you getting a bit bored with the bit stagant PC game market right now:

I'm really going retro for the time being; I've started Heroes of Might & Magic 3 with my friends and now I've decided to pick up the old classic Deus Ex from Steam and I encourage everyone to do the same :captnkill:

To those who played it back in the days, it's worth a revisit. For those who missed it, and who likes a storydriven first person action rpg, this is an absolute classic, a perfected gem in a world of mediocre games cloning eachother. If you can get past the graphics you'll be hard pressed to find a better way to spend 10$.

As for me, I'm going back on JC Denton's adventure :)

NarcissistZero
10-04-08, 08:58 AM
It's a game worth replaying, that's for sure.

I would also suggest that those who dismissed the follow-up give it a shot in the Steam bundle deal... At the time it was probably shocking how "dumbed down" it was, but compared to stuff releasing today it is still very deep and a good game overall.

TheANIMAL
10-04-08, 09:40 AM
I wish there was a mod for the original game that made it look better or maybe a mod for a better looking game that re-created Deus Ex

It could be called "Deus Ex: but with better graphics"

NarcissistZero
10-04-08, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a tecture upgrade mod for Deus Ex, though I can't say for sure, not being someone who uses such things.

|MaguS|
10-04-08, 02:28 PM
I could NEVER beat the first level of Deus Ex. It completely turned me off to the entire game. I was like "Wtf, how do I get to the top of this statue bull****? I can't kill these damn robots? Who the **** is shooting at me? I hate this game!"

console noob

Gaco
10-04-08, 02:29 PM
I could NEVER beat the first level of Deus Ex. It completely turned me off to the entire game. I was like "Wtf, how do I get to the top of this statue bull****? I can't kill these damn robots? Who the **** is shooting at me? I hate this game!"
There was many ways to do it:

1. Sneaking past the "damn robot", either hacking the terminal computer or using the key that the undercover agent on the north dock gave you

2. Blowing the robot to hell with the GEP gun given that you chose that as your weapon from the beginning, then walking right in the front door.

3. On the other side of the statue you could jump up some crates and end up on the 1st floor.

That's what so beautiful about Deus Ex, there is a lot of ways to accomplish the same, always different routes to your primary objective.

Gaco
10-04-08, 06:52 PM
lol wtf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H13T4rJFJ4

CaptNKILL
10-04-08, 09:18 PM
:headexplode:

Is it pathetic that I could tell when they made mistakes? :headexplode:

|MaguS|
10-04-08, 09:25 PM
:headexplode:

Is it pathetic that I could tell when they made mistakes? :headexplode:

Yes

CaptNKILL
10-04-08, 09:51 PM
He said "moral inflexibility", when they say "ethical inflexibility" in the game... I think...

NarcissistZero
10-05-08, 09:18 AM
In the PS2 version they changed the setting of that opening scene to an office with a ton of monitors showing chaos in the streets.

Gaco
10-05-08, 11:44 AM
Have any of you ever been called "unprofessionel" for unawarely entering the womens bathroom in real-life? :(

wnd
10-05-08, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6coZ7pvPyE

Go figure. :-)

Gaco
10-05-08, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiOAdFJKYE :rofl

methimpikehoses
10-05-08, 01:15 PM
the bit stagant PC game market right now

:wtf:

Gaco
10-05-08, 01:30 PM
:wtf:
You heard me. I may be a bit spoiled from 2007 (where both Crysis and Bioshock excelled), but really looking at it I haven't purchased more than a single PC title this year, that being Crysis Warhead. That's weak if you ask me. I'm not demanding an avalange of good games, just a really, really good one at least one once a year. Remember back in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001? Half-Life, Baldurs Gate 2, System Shock, Deus Ex, Giants: Citizen Kabuto etc., my world was rocked by a groundbreaking PC game 1-2 times pr. year, now probably it's once every 2 years in average and the "rock level" has gone considerably down from "WOW THIS IS AMAZING" to "Heh this is a very good game, done before, dumbed down consolized design choices, a ripoff of [insert pre-2002 classic here], but a really very game nonetheless". But what I'm really saying on a less general level is that 2008 haven't been particularily exciting for the PC IMO... quite on the contrary.

XDanger
10-05-08, 03:23 PM
I wish there was a mod for the original game that made it look better or maybe a mod for a better looking game that re-created Deus Ex

It could be called "Deus Ex: but with better graphics"

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp/downloads/hdtp-release-1

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision

FastRedPonyCar
10-05-08, 03:35 PM
downloading...

|MaguS|
10-05-08, 05:17 PM
Wow, the game did not age well at all. It doesn't even support that high of resolutions... I can't mod the game due to playing it on Gametap but with max AA/AF there aren't any jaggies. :p

hirantha
10-05-08, 11:28 PM
i dont know how you guys do it, but i can never go back to a game that old. ow me eyes mate :p

XDanger
10-06-08, 05:07 PM
i dont know how you guys do it, but i can never go back to a game that old. ow me eyes mate :p

I played system shock 2 recently and was impressed.

Gaco
10-07-08, 05:05 AM
I played system shock 2 recently and was impressed.
Hehe ditto :)

crainger
10-07-08, 05:11 AM

Deus Ex still impresses me. Maybe it's textures a low res, and the tech is old, but the level and art design themselves looks great. Every level looks like it should, which is important when you are modeling real life locations.

Gaco
10-07-08, 05:30 AM
Deus Ex still impresses me. Maybe it's textures a low res, and the tech is old, but the level and art design themselves looks great. Every level looks like it should, which is important when you are modeling real life locations.
Yep.. not to mention that the clarity of the audio, the quality of the voice acting and the superb soundtrack. What the game lacks on the visual side it makes totally up for in the audio department IMO :)

XDanger
10-07-08, 03:14 PM
I had Deus Ex on the PS2 and never got into it, I'll pick it up next time I see it, probably in time for the textures.