PDA

View Full Version : Help needed. Q6600 B3 on MSI P7N Diamond.

litri
10-05-08, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I have recently purchased a MSI P7N Diamond to get rid of an old mobo. After installing my old Q6600 B3 on the mobo and the rest of the stuff i proceeded to install XP, etc. The mobo has worked like a champ, but as soon as i try to overclock, the computer freezes at desktop.

I have not tried any insane settings, just trying to get where i did before with my Asus Extreme (680i), which worked wondefully at 3.0ghz.

I have set the bios to unlinked and set the FSB at 1333 which is pretty normal and conservative even for a Q6600 B3 and there are no coldboot issues, it's just when the PC has booted and is idle at desktop that i get the freezing (sometimes it is just a freeze and others i get the BSOD memory dump thingy).

I have my memory modules set manually to expert and voltage is as stated in Gskill website (2.0-2.1v), I have the cpu voltage at +0.050 (1.33v) and i have upped NB, SB and FSB terminator voltages a bit.

Funny thing is that if i had come into a FSB hole problem or something else the pc wouldn't boot...

Any tips will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

saturnotaku
10-05-08, 10:09 AM
IIRC, there's something with the 780i chipset that causes it not to overclock quad-core processors.

Lfctony
10-05-08, 10:21 AM
That's the 680i mate. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 780i...

Your CPU is up to par... I had a problem with my 750i and my overclock when SLI was enabled, it was an MSI too. Try disabling SLI to see if the problem goes away. Its a long-shot, since mine only crashed in games, but it doesn't hurt to try...

saturnotaku
10-05-08, 04:04 PM
That's the 680i mate.

Duly noted. :)

litri
10-06-08, 03:03 AM
That's the 680i mate. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 780i...

Your CPU is up to par... I had a problem with my 750i and my overclock when SLI was enabled, it was an MSI too. Try disabling SLI to see if the problem goes away. Its a long-shot, since mine only crashed in games, but it doesn't hurt to try...

Well, if i have to disable SLI to make it work, i'll better be off with a new MOBO, SLI is the only thing i really care of... :)

Lfctony
10-06-08, 03:58 AM
Well, if i have to disable SLI to make it work, i'll better be off with a new MOBO, SLI is the only thing i really care of... :)

That's what I did, I got myself a reference eVGA 780i. Haven't had a single MSI that hasn't given me trouble one way or another. I really wonder why I bother with them at all...

PlumSmuggler
10-06-08, 06:03 PM
Have a look through this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178286 I have the same board with a G0 Q6600 runs @ 3.6ghz 24/7 that thread has a ton of info and settings to try. Biggest thing for me when overclocking my quad was FSB Termination voltage :)

edit: what bios are you using? I can give you the settings I use to try if you want...systems are very similar.

litri
10-08-08, 09:51 AM
Have a look through this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178286 I have the same board with a G0 Q6600 runs @ 3.6ghz 24/7 that thread has a ton of info and settings to try. Biggest thing for me when overclocking my quad was FSB Termination voltage :)

edit: what bios are you using? I can give you the settings I use to try if you want...systems are very similar.

Thanks for the tip PlumSmuggler!

Whoa! That's a long thread... I have just registered there and i'll post today as it seems to be a very nice source for us P7N owners.

In the meantime...

I updated to 1.2 (last one) yesterday as i didn't know about it. I followed every step stated in the guide you mentioned above, disabling every limiting feature. I set my memory to Expert but didn't change voltages as (and this was my mistake when buying this modules) i will never get that memory to work at 1000mhz if linked (my Q6600 B3 is the limiting factor i guess), so more realistically i'll try to get it close to 800mhz. And for that i don't really need to do any Vdimm changes, do i?

System is on linked (I've read about the fact that it's not real 1:1, dunno with this bios) and voltages are all on auto. As days before i could not get it stable at desktop i started this time with the beginner approach, so i upped FSB from 1067 to 1077, 1087, etc. I could get to desktop and amazingly, no freezing but when i got to 1108 the mobo wouldn't start. Switched off and on and got into bios, changed it to 1107 and it boots. If i go to 1109 or 1110 it will again not boot. I haven't tried to go higher yet as i don't have time, but i'll try this evening.

Something odd, at that fsb the cpu was running at 2.49ghz and when i started CPUID none of the changes stated in the bios were reflected (1107fsb, 2.49ghz, etc) but when checking the cpu speed that appears in control panel/system below the Windos XP key and so on it was displaying 2.49. Is that normal???

Thanks!

PlumSmuggler
10-09-08, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the tip PlumSmuggler!

Whoa! That's a long thread... I have just registered there and i'll post today as it seems to be a very nice source for us P7N owners.

In the meantime...

I updated to 1.2 (last one) yesterday as i didn't know about it. I followed every step stated in the guide you mentioned above, disabling every limiting feature. I set my memory to Expert but didn't change voltages as (and this was my mistake when buying this modules) i will never get that memory to work at 1000mhz if linked (my Q6600 B3 is the limiting factor i guess), so more realistically i'll try to get it close to 800mhz. And for that i don't really need to do any Vdimm changes, do i?

System is on linked (I've read about the fact that it's not real 1:1, dunno with this bios) and voltages are all on auto. As days before i could not get it stable at desktop i started this time with the beginner approach, so i upped FSB from 1067 to 1077, 1087, etc. I could get to desktop and amazingly, no freezing but when i got to 1108 the mobo wouldn't start. Switched off and on and got into bios, changed it to 1107 and it boots. If i go to 1109 or 1110 it will again not boot. I haven't tried to go higher yet as i don't have time, but i'll try this evening.

Something odd, at that fsb the cpu was running at 2.49ghz and when i started CPUID none of the changes stated in the bios were reflected (1107fsb, 2.49ghz, etc) but when checking the cpu speed that appears in control panel/system below the Windos XP key and so on it was displaying 2.49. Is that normal???

Thanks!

You are very welcome :) it seems that there are FSB holes with nvidia chipsets, so maybe jump up a little higher and see what happens. I run my system clock mode manual and sli memory set to disabled. I set memory manually to rated settings and voltage. That B3 quad is going to need a bit more voltage than a G0. If you don't have it already...download coretemp so you can get your quads VID, you will need to know that to make your VCORE adjustments. I will post my settings when I have some time later today for you to try if you like. As far as what windows reports as cpu clock...mine says 3.6 Did you disable Intel EIST?

litri
02-03-09, 01:33 PM
Long time and i'm back again...

Since last time i quit trying on this overclock i have now noticed that the FSB/MEM ratio is weird. If linked the computer starts normally, i.e. 1066 FSB/533 memory but if i go higher than 1066, no matter what i set, the result will be 530, 532, 529... instead of going higher as a 1:1 ratio should do, so i have set System clock to "Manual" and i have set FSB to 1333
and memory to 800 for now, SLI-Ready memory on "Expert", all the ram timmings on AUTO and memory voltage at 2.1v as I have 8gb of Corsair DHX6400C4 although i think that unless i want to make use of the profile enhanced timings setting it at "Auto" would do, isn't it? in any case it's better to start with 2.1.

CPU voltage at "0.025"
NB voltage at 1.275
Everything else on "Auto"

D.O.T, EIST, C1E state and spread spectrums disabled.

And... well... the pc starts but it's always freezing on post after the message "Checking NVRAM..."

What can i do???

Cheers.

Tr1cK
02-03-09, 01:35 PM
My 650i would not budge the clock on my Q6600. It was an Asus board.