PDA

View Full Version : AVG detects Threat in WinXP32(177.39).exe

XDanger
10-08-08, 01:09 PM
Trojan horse Downloader.Generic7.AXEP

False positive?

saturnotaku
10-08-08, 01:15 PM
Probably is, but I would re-download from www.laptopvideo2go.com. They have a great archive with a fast download server.

henrybravo
10-08-08, 02:13 PM
Trojan horse Downloader.Generic7.AXEP

I think it was from GURU3D

False positive?

Looks like it is a false positive being reported by AVG. I just downloaded that driver from guru3d and extracted it. NOD32 found no threats (using virus signature database 3504 dated today 10/8).

HB

XDanger
10-08-08, 02:26 PM
Its not a driver im using ,the 7zip file was Just lying around on my desktop, weird though.

mobilenvidia
10-08-08, 10:10 PM
To make 100% sure I just scanned our 177.39 WinXP and no nasties with NOD32 and database 3505
I keep my database updated at all times, nothing worse than a file host to have nasties in the files.

AVG is known for finding bugs where there are none.
Had an issue 2 months ago where this happened, reporting bugs where there were none.
Make sure your database is up to date.

Guru3D didn't 7zip that file it uses the original NVIDIA file.
I did 7zip it to get it quite a bit smaller and server friendly

XDanger
10-09-08, 02:52 PM
The file was reported as "WinXP32(177.39).exe" no spaces

I have no idea where I got it now, The one from g-3d is different

Also the only other Googleable reference to Generic7.AXEP is some site talking about avg 8.0 false postives...

MODS I would appreciate if ,any reference to G-3D in this thread/This thread be deleted

Vasot02
10-16-08, 07:19 AM
AVG detects Threat in WinXP32(177.39).exe

You need a better antivirus solution...

steve2267
10-17-08, 11:00 AM
A bit off topic, but relevant to downloading drivers from the net:

What anti-virus solutions are well regarded / recommended these days?

I used to use ZoneAlarm Free, but moved to AVG. I've been picking up tidbits the past several months suggesting AVG is not the best. (Question: is it the best of the *Free* AV tools out there?) I've read some good things about Avast, and Avira. What about Clam?

I hadn't heard about NOD32 until I stumbled across this thread.

What are people's opinions about Kaspersky? F-PROT? F-Secure? My employer, a large US defense contractor (seemlingly paranoid about security) runs McAfee on all the desktops. If I had to pay for one, I'd lean towards McAfee, but for some reason that company doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Once upon a time I relied on Norton Anti-virus... but that seems to slow things WAY down and is so bloated... I won't touch Symantec again (unless I started hearing EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, suddenly singing its praises.)

Sorry to ramble on for a bit... but what is recommended Anti-virus solution these days for downloading drivers and freeware from the Internet? Is there a good freeware or opensource AV solution? Or does one need to buy one, if so, which one? Or is a layered defense best?

Many thanks for any help / tips / pointers...

Oh... the reason I started looking at AV again... is that on this computer on which I am typing this... I have downloaded the latest nVidia Quadro FX 1500 driver for WinXP... and each time I download it, I get a different MD5 checksum... *AND* the driver fails to install giving me the following error:

The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of th efile, verify its integrity, and try again.

I downloaded the driver at work and brought it home, and it installs. I downloaded it on this same computer, but from the (dualbooted) WinXP Pro64 partition, and it downloads and installs OK.

What's weird is that this is a fresh install of WinXP Pro (32bit)... the only thing I've done is d/l and install M$ SP3 and some other patches from M$.

Here's a screencapture of the error window:

fred044
02-08-09, 02:48 PM
Only, to let you know. AVG found this thread - "Downloader.Generic7.AXEP" - in 7z.sfx a file in my 7zip directory. I use the most recent AVG version updated just before the scan. If this is a false positive i wonder why it appears in different files (?) and why there is so few to be googled about it.
An other incident appeared in evolution. The google stored text says:
Evolution.v0.7.050.exe as a "Trojan horse Downloader.Generic7.AXEP Detected on open."
Unfortunately the forum entry at www.retroremakes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10459&p=190550 is removed !(?) And, some people tried to almost kill this thread by bulky and irrelevant remarks.
Stange things use to happen, don't they?

SLippe
02-08-09, 05:12 PM
Reported.

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-08-09, 08:51 PM
ESET Smart Security > all others

Norton = Crap
McAfee = Crap
ZoneAlarm = Crap

mailman2
02-08-09, 11:00 PM
AVG is king of false positives. NOD32 started to recently false detect Steam .exe's.