PDA

View Full Version : Move pagefile.sys to a defraged partition/drive ,restart, defrag then replace...?

XDanger
10-09-08, 02:52 PM
Does anyone do that to defrag the paging file in Vista?

npras42
10-09-08, 07:43 PM
Erm, I usually just switch off the page file, restart, defrag and then switch the page file back on. Its one of the first things I do after a fresh install. I also set the min and max size of the page file to a single value so Windows just leaves the page file as a single entity and doesn't try to "manage" it...

ICE2K
10-31-08, 08:59 PM
hmmm neva tryed that....

AngelGraves13
11-01-08, 06:41 PM
Just say "NO" to paging files!

crainger
11-01-08, 11:31 PM
and say hello to instability and the inability to troubleshoot crashes.

Wolfhound
11-02-08, 04:48 AM
Some programs need a pagefile is a bad idea to wipe completely, examples are photoshop needs a pagefile or it doesn´t start or crash.

Q
11-02-08, 11:58 AM
Some programs need a pagefile is a bad idea to wipe completely, examples are photoshop needs a pagefile or it doesn´t start or crash.

CS3 and CS4 have never given me a problem without a pagefile. Then again, I'm on XP64 with 8GB of ram.

::Shrugs::

AngelGraves13
11-02-08, 02:17 PM

CS3 and CS4 work fine without a page file for me. In fact CS4 works fine using 6 GB of my RAM in 64-bit.

crainger
11-02-08, 04:02 PM
::Shrugs::

Bman212121
11-02-08, 05:29 PM
Erm, I usually just switch off the page file, restart, defrag and then switch the page file back on.

What he said.

and say hello to instability and the inability to troubleshoot crashes.

I've ran into issues as well with the pagefile off. I just leave mine to let windows decide.

AngelGraves13
11-02-08, 06:03 PM
What he said.

I've ran into issues as well with the pagefile off. I just leave mine to let windows decide.

Windows is stupid. It wants to use a 16GB paging file because I have 8GB or RAM.

What issues have you run into?

SLippe
11-03-08, 11:49 AM
I have my pagefile set to an unused partition...all alone...by itself...managed by Windows, of course. I'm on XP Pro 32bit.

Bman212121
11-03-08, 01:58 PM
Windows is stupid. It wants to use a 16GB paging file because I have 8GB or RAM.

What issues have you run into?

Pretty sure BF2 will crash when you turn it off.

AngelGraves13
11-03-08, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure BF2 will crash when you turn it off.

Don't have BF2 and don't want it.

seeker
11-03-08, 07:53 PM
I made a small separate partiton dedicated for the pagefile, that way I don't have to bother with switching it for defrag, and being separate it causes the main partition to be less fragmented also. I just wish that I could do the same with the hibernation file.

crainger
11-04-08, 12:09 AM
Putting it in a separate partition on the same drive does another except make it harder to defragement. Best option is to put it on a separate physical drive.

Bman212121
11-04-08, 01:45 AM
When you think about it, you really do want the page file mixed in with the rest of your data. Every time the drive needs to access something from the page file it will have to travel the entire distance across the hard drive.

If I took a 500GB hard drive, then partitioned 450GB of it for OS / data, and then took the remaining for my swap file that would cause your drive to look like this.

OS/Data < Lots of free space > swap file. If I only had 100GB of data on that drive, anytime the computer needed to access that swap file it would be skipping over 350GB of dead space, or about 70% of the drive just to read or write from the swap file. On top of that, a drive starts on the outermost edge of the platter, and works its way in. The fastest part of the disk is on the outside. This means the swap file will likely be located on the slowest part of the disk. You can actually hinder performance more than help it using this type of setup.

If the swap file is mixed in with your data, it will not only have better read / write speeds, the seek time will go way down because it will be located a lot closer on the disk.

crainger
11-04-08, 04:25 PM
That's a nice theory BMan but it doesn't work like that. ::(:

styles-T
11-04-08, 10:08 PM
I used to shut it off. Restart PC. Delete pagefile. Defrag. Turn Pagefile back on after defrag.

Now I have 4gb of memory I just leave it off in Vista 64. Haven't had a problem yet.

Wolfhound
11-05-08, 02:34 AM
I have the page file on a WD Raptor 36G and a little pagefile on my OS disk of about 250Mgs fixed for BSODs debugging.