PDA

View Full Version : Valve Acquisition (Ramble)

evox
10-09-08, 11:34 PM
Sorry if this is boring:

While the rumor of Google buying out obviously turned out to be false, I can't help but think that if Valve did infact get acquired by Google, It would've helped them tremendously in many aspects.

First off, of all the companies that could acquire Valve, Google is probably the best choice. If EA/Microsoft ever acquire Valve, everything good about Steam and Valve games will go away and die - EA and Microsoft both have a psycho-capitalist nature, one that pisses off most gamers. Foremost I think, both of these companies are too thick-headed in regards to creative freedom/development.

With Google atleast, I think Valve would probably get more room to breathe, both creatively and no-doubt, financially. Google's giant stature would attract loads more publishers; Google's crazy bandwidth would make all the Steam speed issues go away; Google's mighty bank balance would give Valve a bigger advertising/development budget, perhaps they'll get more people onboard, we'll see features/games implemented/release much faster.

Google is a newbie to gaming, but I think they're smart enough to give Valve the headroom to evolve and develop. Or who knows, maybe they'll act like douches and completely ruin Valve/Steam if they acquired it?

/Random ramble :o

ViN86
10-09-08, 11:40 PM
i like how steam runs their business, so i say no.

but Google has a history of leaving successful companies in tact after they buy them (ie YouTube)

evox
10-09-08, 11:44 PM
i like how steam runs their business, so i say no.

but Google has a history of leaving successful companies in tact after they buy them (ie YouTube)

The deal with YT is, Google just doesn't know how to earn a profit from it. I think YouTube's platform and content is largely responsible for that (millions of copyrighted clips, emo retards crying on webcams) there's just no easy way actually earn from YT. With Valve, you have a incredibly successful distribution platform and a very talented developer. Or do you think it would be a different scenario? :)

CaptNKILL
10-10-08, 12:26 AM
That's a tough question. Google's resources could make Steam even better and they have a history of NOT screwing up good things.

On the other hand, Valve and Steam seem to be working great just how they are. Steam is expanding extremely fast and it seems to be quite popular.

I think an acquisition by Google is more likely to be good than bad, but at this point I'd rather just have Valve stay in control.

crainger
10-10-08, 12:39 AM
I'm buying Valve once my pay comes through.

LordJuanlo
10-10-08, 02:30 AM
I really hope Valve is not bought by anyone, but if I had to choose a company to buy them, Google would probably be the best option