PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2 now a trilogy

Pages : [1] 2

Buio
10-10-08, 06:10 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55267

So first game contains the Terran Campaign and the other two will be like expansions pack and contain Zerg and Protoss campaigns.

* Terrans: Wings of Liberty
* Zerg: Heart of the Swarm
* Protoss: Legacy of the Void

|MaguS|
10-10-08, 06:22 PM
WoW, thats such bull****! Everyone expects a Blizzard RTS to include multiple factions and campeigns, removing that is an ultimate slap in the face... but Blizzard will get away with it because their fans don't care about the abuse.

JasonPC
10-10-08, 06:47 PM
Well before you prejudge maybe the campaign will be really really good or long? But yeah it does looks like they are just trying to milk a title for all it's worth.

Medion
10-10-08, 06:52 PM
I'll wait for the battlechest, as I've done with all Blizzard games.

Severian126
10-10-08, 06:54 PM
WTF, I'm not tryign to prejudge them, but shouldn't it contain ALL 3 races? Especially if MP includes all 3. I'm the type that likes to play the sp compaign to familiarize myself with it.

That sucks.

K007
10-10-08, 07:05 PM
Nothing changes for multiplayer - all races are playable. Each campaign will be a dedicated story. No cliffhangers!

The benefits of splitting it into three stories: more sets, more characters, more props, more movies, more missions - 26 to 30 if you play them all. The ending is set - the middle is subject to quest branching).

-.- read...

NaitoSan
10-10-08, 07:14 PM
Nowsday people don't bother to read. :lol:

I'm fine with that and I can't wait for Starcraft 2. I rather like to see a complete story on each race than shorten all three races story. That was my small probelm with first Starcraft. Each races had fairly short story, and it wasn't as epic as I'd like it to be.

LurkerLito
10-10-08, 07:26 PM
Well I guess then I can skip Starcraft 2 till a cheaper pack with all the campaigns are together.

I am starting to hate all these we'll give most of the game, but we want you to keep buying little things that we would have included in the past with the original game DLC micro-transaction BS.

Buio
10-10-08, 07:57 PM
I just hope it doesn't take ages for the different games to be released. If so, it could mean I have to wait 2 years after SC2 is released to play the Protoss campaign.

|MaguS|
10-10-08, 08:22 PM
-.- read...

26 - 30 missions between 3 campaigns is nothing... thats less then the original I believe... so yeah thanks for pointing out how much BS it really is.

BTW, The original Starcraft (not including expansion) had 30 missions, add in the expansion and you got more missions total then the 3 games they are going to be offering... yeah their not trying to exploit the hype for Starcraft 2...

nutcrackr
10-10-08, 08:41 PM
Wasn't as excited as many were, but I think I'll just wait till all of them come and buy the pack in 2011 or something.

K007
10-10-08, 09:00 PM
One Word : Blizzard.

They know what they are doing. I for one can't wait for it to be released.

|MaguS|
10-10-08, 09:05 PM
One Word : Blizzard.

They know what they are doing. I for one can't wait for it to be released.

Yup, Screw us out of our money by removing content from the original game. I don't see how anyone with a brain would find this good news.

I mean people are complaining that certain games get guns and a few missions removed and added as DLC but with this they are literally removing complete story from the game and telling you to buy the other games to get they complete experiance.

NaitoSan
10-10-08, 09:15 PM
We don't even know the price, so you can't really say they're trying to screw us, until they annoucned the price. We even don't have any information on what each campiagn will contain, and whatnot.

All they said was the campaigns are planned as concentrated, epic storylines, with enough content to justify a full release. As a result, the games will now feature more in-game cinematics and story content.

Sounds good to me.

arioch21
10-10-08, 10:54 PM
well from what they said they are really expansions, but so much being put into them that it can be considered a whole new game with each. I honestly didnt play the campaign of SC till like a year later, I was too much into playing MP with friends, so it all sounds good to me. :)

Lfctony
10-11-08, 12:22 AM
Want milk?

K007
10-11-08, 01:24 AM
Yup, Screw us out of our money by removing content from the original game. I don't see how anyone with a brain would find this good news.

I mean people are complaining that certain games get guns and a few missions removed and added as DLC but with this they are literally removing complete story from the game and telling you to buy the other games to get they complete experiance.

Again, this is Blizzard, they have never disappointed me with there games. They know what they are doing, and i am sure a lot of people will enjoy the game, both single and multiplayer (what i am more looking forward to than anything anyway, the SP is a bonus for me :D ).

Of course you can still wait for the full trilogy is out or you can chose not to play it at all, i doubt it will make any dent on there $$ -.-.

Ninjaman09
10-11-08, 02:18 AM
I want to have faith in Blizzard, but this time I just can't do it. From a game design standpoint this is essentially suicide. Or more like suicide bombing, taking the fans down with them. I understand the rationale perfectly, but the fact is that it is just a bad idea.

The fact that the game ships with 3 playable races in multiplayer does nothing for me and many Starcraft fans I know. I'm terrible at multiplayer RTS games. I don't like the frantic, stressful nature of the gameplay and I prefer a more laid-back, thoughtful approach to the game. I like being able to pause and save when needed. Multiplayer is a very important aspect of the game without a doubt, but there needs to be something solid for the single player fans too.

Starcraft is one of my all-time favorites. I've been waiting for 10 years to play the sequel and learn what happens next. Now, my hopes for the game are completely dashed. ~30 mission campaigns for each race, split into three separate products is going to result in a diluted, thin experience. Nobody wants to watch a 9 hour movie - why would we want to play a 90 mission game (spread out over at least 3 years no less)? I don't care how in-depth the story is going to be - there is no way it can't be edited and cut down to a reasonable size to include it in one boxed product.

They haven't even begun developing the Zerg and Protoss campaigns yet. This simply confirms that the game will be primarily focused on multiplayer with the single player taking a backseat.

Much as I hate to say it, it may end up that they were better off never making this game at all. As a massive Blizzard fan of 14 years, this is a dark day.

NaitoSan
10-11-08, 02:27 AM
Dude, this game isn't out yet. What you're saying is a pure assumation. Blizzard said they felt it should bt split into three because it appears Starcraft 2 is really huge, and it'd be unwise of they start to cut stuff off, downplay the gameplay, storyline, and removing some extras like units and whatnot, putting all three races together, then we'll be getting "lite" version of Starcraft 2. Would you want that?

I know I don't.

K007
10-11-08, 04:20 AM
I want to have faith in Blizzard, but this time I just can't do it. From a game design standpoint this is essentially suicide. Or more like suicide bombing, taking the fans down with them. I understand the rationale perfectly, but the fact is that it is just a bad idea.

The fact that the game ships with 3 playable races in multiplayer does nothing for me and many Starcraft fans I know. I'm terrible at multiplayer RTS games. I don't like the frantic, stressful nature of the gameplay and I prefer a more laid-back, thoughtful approach to the game. I like being able to pause and save when needed. Multiplayer is a very important aspect of the game without a doubt, but there needs to be something solid for the single player fans too.

Starcraft is one of my all-time favorites. I've been waiting for 10 years to play the sequel and learn what happens next. Now, my hopes for the game are completely dashed. ~30 mission campaigns for each race, split into three separate products is going to result in a diluted, thin experience. Nobody wants to watch a 9 hour movie - why would we want to play a 90 mission game (spread out over at least 3 years no less)? I don't care how in-depth the story is going to be - there is no way it can't be edited and cut down to a reasonable size to include it in one boxed product.

They haven't even begun developing the Zerg and Protoss campaigns yet. This simply confirms that the game will be primarily focused on multiplayer with the single player taking a backseat.

Much as I hate to say it, it may end up that they were better off never making this game at all. As a massive Blizzard fan of 14 years, this is a dark day.

Game isn't even out yet -.-...

|MaguS|
10-11-08, 07:23 AM

Your confused... K007 quoted them saying that if you buy all three you get a total of 30 missions, thats 10 per race...

K007
10-11-08, 08:08 AM
According to Blizzard, each of these StarCraft II games will consist of more than 30 missions.

There will be a Protoss mini-campaign in the Terran product, centering around Zeratul - ensuring players can play more than just one race in the campaign.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/918/918895p1.html

Different information on different sites...

Ninjaman09
10-11-08, 09:52 AM
Your confused... K007 quoted them saying that if you buy all three you get a total of 30 missions, thats 10 per race...

No, the games will each have about 30 missions, this was explicitly stated by Blizzard. Each installment is a standalone, full game. It's not episodic content. Read this interview with Rob Pardo here - http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918895p1.html and don't listen to misquotes. They are not cutting content. They simply haven't worked on the other campaigns yet.

The original StarCraft, according to Pardo, had 32 missions; 12 for the Terrans, and 10 each for the Zerg and the Protoss. According to Blizzard, each of these StarCraft II games will consist of more than 30 missions.

When asked what state the game was in, Pardo said that one campaign was far closer to completion to the others. "We've only got a serious amount of content done on the Terran campaign. We haven't really done much with the Zerg or the Protoss yet; we have some paper design on the next two campaigns.

We asked about the timeline for the three StarCraft II games, using Valve's original prediction of shipping all three episodes of the Half-Life 2 episodes within a single year, but reality is that it will take more than more like three years. Pardo thought that was a great example and said, "It's a little bit similar to that in that it would be great if we could have them follow one year from one another; I think that's going to be our target, but certainly that's not a promise in any way. But I think that's going to be around the realm that we're going to be hoping for."

Dude, this game isn't out yet. What you're saying is a pure assumation. Blizzard said they felt it should bt split into three because it appears Starcraft 2 is really huge, and it'd be unwise of they start to cut stuff off, downplay the gameplay, storyline, and removing some extras like units and whatnot, putting all three races together, then we'll be getting "lite" version of Starcraft 2. Would you want that?

I know I don't.
First of all, there is plenty of information available to make solid conclusions. Nothing I said in my post was based on anything other than facts straight from Blizzard and my opinions of their decision. "The game isn't even out yet" is completely irrelevant. How would a 30 mission campaign, including all the races, be a "lite" game? The fact is that they have not started developing the Zerg and Protoss campaigns yet. They are wanting to literally make 3 full games, each dedicated to its respective race. What we'll get is a diluted experience, spread out over the course of several years at least.

I want to defend Blizzard too but I can't. This is an absurd decision.

arioch21
10-11-08, 01:58 PM
Its either that or wait 4 more years for SC2 to come out with all 3 campaigns, ill take the game sooner myself. I have np waiting on the campaigns, my enjoyment is from the MP aspect. Not to mention the game will have a more powerful version of its mod tools then WC3 had, there will be plenty of other content made by players.

NaitoSan
10-11-08, 02:36 PM
First of all, there is plenty of information available to make solid conclusions. Nothing I said in my post was based on anything other than facts straight from Blizzard and my opinions of their decision. "The game isn't even out yet" is completely irrelevant. How would a 30 mission campaign, including all the races, be a "lite" game? The fact is that they have not started developing the Zerg and Protoss campaigns yet. They are wanting to literally make 3 full games, each dedicated to its respective race. What we'll get is a diluted experience, spread out over the course of several years at least.

I want to defend Blizzard too but I can't. This is an absurd decision.
Okay now we do get a bit of information in over time... but are you willing to wait for few more years? I don't think so. Like I said, I'd like to learn each races more deeply than original Starcraft.

But that's fine if you're not going to buy Starcraft 2. It won't affect Blizzard in any way. I can't wait.