PDA

View Full Version : PS3 HD took a dump

SilentMercury
10-11-08, 01:26 AM
I have the 60gb ps3 and the hard drive started to beep and squeal and froze. I turned the power off and back on and it won't read the HD anymore. I got it to work once after I took it out and put it back in and I wasn' able to save my games before it froze again and now it won't read it again. I will destroy the world if I can't recover any of my info. Anyone have this problem? Guess I'm gonna need a new HD. If I replace it with a 7200 will it run at that speed or will it only run at 5400?

Lyme
10-11-08, 02:26 AM
Hard drives spin at their set rate regardless of what hardware you have them hooked to. It doesn't however mean that you will see any improvement in speed.

If you know of a "nice" computer shop, they will see if they can copy your stuff over to a new drive. I know a local place that throws that in for free when you buy a drive from them. However, expect that your old drive is unrecoverable.

SilentMercury
10-11-08, 02:29 AM
Just ordered a 160gb 5400 seagate replacement drive. I hope I can I find a way to recover my info, but I fear the worst.

LurkerLito
10-11-08, 01:01 PM
Problem is the PS3 HD has a nonstandard file system. The best you could hope for is maybe using a sector by sector copy, but I think the PS3 will detect the HD size difference and prompt you to format the HD before you can use it.

SilentMercury
10-11-08, 03:34 PM
My data has been declared dead. R.I.P. my glorious profiles, trophies, and what not. Yeah, I really don't think my data is worth $300 either, lol. I've never had a hard drive go bad on me. The HD I ordered 'supposedly' won't run as hot as the other one, but its still a Seagate. I'm a WD guy, so I'm kinda nervous about putting another Seagate back in my PS3.

Medion
10-11-08, 03:39 PM
My data has been declared dead. R.I.P. my glorious profiles, trophies, and what not. Yeah, I really don't think my data is worth $300 either, lol. I've never had a hard drive go bad on me. The HD I ordered 'supposedly' won't run as hot as the other one, but its still a Seagate. I'm a WD guy, so I'm kinda nervous about putting another Seagate back in my PS3.

Lately, Seagate has the better rep amongst HDD manufacturers. HDD failures are rare, and while I feel badly that you encountered one, I think you'll be fine in the future.

Any reason you took the 5400rpm driver over the 7200rpm drive? Was there a significant price difference?

SilentMercury
10-11-08, 03:55 PM
There is a price difference, but not really that big. After a little research, I decided to stick with the 5400 instead of 7200 after reading about heat and stability issues with 7200 drives. I wouldn't experience any real gains anyhow. Besides, the drive I ordered was 64.99, which I think is a damn good deal compared to the 120gb drive for 59.99.

Medion
10-11-08, 04:53 PM
There is a price difference, but not really that big. After a little research, I decided to stick with the 5400 instead of 7200 after reading about heat and stability issues with 7200 drives. I wouldn't experience any real gains anyhow. Besides, the drive I ordered was 64.99, which I think is a damn good deal compared to the 120gb drive for 59.99.

Every test I've seen shows that heat isn't an issue w/7200rpm. Not sure where you heard that. As for real gains, you're pretty much right. It helps with load times by about 10-20%, but that means a 2.0 second load time drops to about 1.6-1.8 seconds. Hardly noticeable.

I paid $89.99 for my 250GB. It was a good deal for me at the time.

Lyme
10-12-08, 12:53 AM
The 7200rpm drives have negligible amounts of additional heat compared to the 5400rpm. Otherwise I prefer seagate to the other brands, for the simple reason that seagate has a five year warranty on all their drives. Most other manufacturers have a two or a three year warranty.

Going back to my course on business and statistics, it is (was) the norm to set your warranty to cover 10% of the lifespan of the product, so that 90% of the failures will occur outside warranty. As such, a five year warranty on a HD means only 10% of them should fail within five years, which isn't bad. If WD isn't going to warranty their products for five years, why should I trust them with my cash?