PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia game thread

Pages : [1] 2

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-11-08, 06:28 AM
Hi
so has any of you ever thought how it was back in the day

say mid 90īs to the point where the game with best graphics was the most popular.
It seems as since DUke Nukem 3D, quake, quake II, unreal,screamer series and there was this Xgames snowboarding, and many others that had this huge play value rather than super graphics.
man i wish devs could capture that and make playable and good games rather than graphics show offs.

Please ventilate what you think of todays games against say when AMD was on top and intel struggling before P4īs A64īs.

when graphics cards were named riva tnt voodoo gf, gf2, gf3, gf4sereis.

i miss those days when gameplay was the focus rather than graphics

Soetdjuret
10-11-08, 07:25 AM
maan, i remember when i played good old Flashback on our mac, that was back in the days.
And i remember the first time i played soldier of fortune, i was stunned by the graphics and gore... man i still love that game, its extraordinary. Same when i sat down with max payne the first time i was overwhelmed lol, the slowmotion and graphics blew me away.

XDanger
10-11-08, 08:31 AM
I bought a BBC Model B today , 32k and 2Mhz!!! ,We had those things in school over here.
http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/index.html At the time Elite was awe inspiring.
http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/screenshots/thrust1.gif
This is Thrust on the BBC-B ,Theres a rehash on Steam and quite a few remakes knocking around.

XDanger
10-11-08, 08:38 AM
DUke Nukem 3D, quake, quake II

All had the "super" graphics at the time no?

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-11-08, 09:20 AM
what i meant was the devs werenīt so graphics freaks but more to give the joy in gaming and sure unreal brought the voodoo to gaming giving some spectacular graphics back then but you had sam and max full throttle and such.

and who can forget the X-wing Tie-fighter games man thise days and DICe first racers were so much fun and didnīt require a monster to computer.

and it feels like somehow Sim Bin has taken the racing crown but there are of course other racers.

and rally masters man did i game that...and colin mcrae 1 and 2 are the best and then there is dirt.

so todays games caīt really measure to the games between 94-2005?

well well

times change gaming too

CaptNKILL
10-11-08, 10:08 AM
Don't get me started on gaming nostalgia...

I still have 30+ "big box" PC games, 3 PCs dedicated to old school gaming (one with working Voodoo 2 SLI), a computer built from the shell of an Atari 2600 (used for emulators) and a collection of old graphics cards.

I could go on for hours about how it was back the day. :lol:

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-11-08, 10:28 AM
yeah bet you could :D

i guess iīm saying i miss those quake days and medal of honr allied screamer rally series and other goodól games now days it seems the game with the most demanding graphics and things are the way to go but arenīt they forgetting the feeling of enjoying a game?

sorry for no punctuation :(

CaptNKILL
10-11-08, 10:43 AM
I think a big part of it is just our perspective on it.

For example, people who were kids in the late 70s or early 80s have more fond memories of games from the pre-16bit era. I played the Atari 2600 but it was over 10 years old by that time. When I played nintendo and sega master system it was still pretty early in my gaming days and the games were SO much better than any of the C64, 2600, Atari ST, Colecovision or Intellivision games I'd played. When the SNES and Genesis came around it was another revolution of gaming. There are still some SNES and Genesis games that I play once a year on emulators.

I'm still very interested in games, but I think my real "golden days" for gaming ended around 2002. Games like Call of Juarez, The Witcher, STALKER, Mass Effect and a few others have really renewed my interest in games this year. Its been nice after being in a gaming slump for probably 5 years. I really hope we see more games that are of the quality and originality of these in the coming years because they're on the right track. :)

jAkUp
10-11-08, 12:59 PM
I think the height of PC gaming for me probably was around 99-01, so many good games in that time frame :)

poullos
10-11-08, 01:52 PM
Recent old: AOE 2, RA 2, Delta force 1+2, Half-life
Older: Wolf3d, Larry 1-5, civilization, colonization, f-117

I still play civilization when my pc or connection is ****ed from time to time. I would love to play AOE 2 2vs2 like you used to play for hours. or the days when we downloaded custon skins for HL deathmatch in frenzy :)

SilentMercury
10-11-08, 02:22 PM
I bought a BBC Model B today , 32k and 2Mhz!!! ,We had those things in school over here.
This is Thrust on the BBC-B ,Theres a rehash on Steam and quite a few remakes knocking around.

That game looks like Solar Jetman for NES, lol.

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-11-08, 02:56 PM
i loved PC gaming around 96-2005 i guess i still paly and find many games fun but i kinda miss the older games that canīt be played on XP

who donīt remeber Diablo and others during that timeline like alien vs predator

XDanger
10-11-08, 03:28 PM
I'm having trouble getting sound in Duke Nuken 3D, Selecting SB doesn't work like usual.

XDanger
10-11-08, 03:34 PM
That game looks like Solar Jetman for NES, lol.

Solar Jetman is a cross between the Sinclair Spectrum game Jetpac http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8f/Jetpac.gif and Thrust but without the gravity like asteroids which was based on space wars I think,

Or going up the scale there was Zarch/Virus originally on the Acorn Archimedes (the big brother of the BBC-B).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Zarch_screenshot_2.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarch

Logical
10-11-08, 05:17 PM
ZX spectrum is a system that will stick in my head forever in regards to nostalgia gaming. Classics like Jet set willy and manic miner, chucky egg, Yie ar kung fu....omg i could go on all night.

NaitoSan
10-11-08, 06:04 PM
Man, this is a great thread. I feel nostalgia almost all of the time. With all next-gen gaming going on right now... deep in my heart, old games are better. :) Maybe it's because I grew up with them and that's when it got me into game industry. I miss it when gameplay was more important than graphics than it is now. I remember playing a lot of arcades like I, Robot, Gauntlet, Tempest, Moon Patrol and others. I didn't get PC until I was 8 or something. My dad always get pissed when PC isn't working right because I was messing up with memmaker, config.sys, autoexec.bat, doublespace, or whatever under DOS. :lol: I was learning how thing works and finally know how to get more EMS memory or whatnot for certain games.

Too bad, a lot of young gamers don't see it that way. They demand best graphics over gameplay and think 8-bit retro games are crap or stupid. When Mega Man 9 was announced, I see a lot of comments like "WTF? That's stupid" "Why would we want to buy this piece of crap?" "Hello? This is 2008, I'm not buying this POS" or "Wow, what a waste of money". Sometimes when I was showing some old games to my friends and they're like "Wow, the graphics sucks" or "There's a game similar to this, and it has better graphics". Most of them were born in 32-bit era. :p Man, I feel old.

Some people just don't get it. They think Crysis is the father of games. I understand we get powerful video cards and we want more realistic graphics to take advantage of them. I'm glad Microsoft is allowing some old times on their XBLA like Duke Nukem 3D, R-Type Dimension, DOOM, and others. Sony is great with all original games like flOw on PSN.

I do like games with amazing graphics, but I just wish a lot of people give oldies some respect because they're part of history. Without them... we probably won't see Crysis, and others.

ralinn
10-11-08, 06:15 PM

Fantastic. I remember playing Granny's Garden on it at school :D

"Ha Ha Ha! Now I've got you! I will send you home at once!
<space bar>"

CaptNKILL
10-12-08, 04:02 AM
Solar Jetman is a cross between the Sinclair Spectrum game Jetpac http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8f/Jetpac.gif and Thrust but without the gravity like asteroids which was based on space wars I think,

Or going up the scale there was Zarch/Virus originally on the Acorn Archimedes (the big brother of the BBC-B).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Zarch_screenshot_2.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarch

Solar Jetman for NES is one of the most difficult games of all time IMO. I've seen the last level but never seen anyone beat it. I couldn't get past the first few planets. My brother and his friends got to the last level and couldn't beat it because it was so hard.

Very cool game though. I'd love to see a modern 2D version... with an easy difficulty setting. :p

nutcrackr
10-12-08, 05:08 AM
Prince of Persia was the pwnage
_zyQ_OVyhNE

Mechwarrior 2
txy-1HmQ3CE

I spent a lot of time on both games, awesome experiences, mech 2 especially. Those sounds bring back some happy times.

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-12-08, 06:48 AM
i remember there being a small black keyboard you connect to a tv and i played some on those and C64 Amiga 500 and 1200 i think.

then Sega Mega drive entered my liffe with a bang and a cd console with it star wars rebel assault 1 and 2 and tom cat alley adn a rare "horror" like game.

also amiga cd 32 snes 3DO PS1 the older of them twice i owned then 96 it was PC a DX4100 16mb ram and 250mb HDD wow then a year or so later intel P2 233mhz and that was wow i think i was the top guy with a 4.3gb harddrive or wait was that the one that broke and i got a 8gb hdd then came AMD K-6 500 and then P4 3ghz northwood with 9800pro and then amd64 womething with a ati X800 and then i canīt remeber but i started playing PC at the time X-wing came and so on

now i play warhead and it is so fun although i never thought to be.

One Q about HD4870+Warhed/crysis why doesnīt the AA settings in game menu stick. yes R_use edgee aa is 0 still no go?

does it matter if AA is set to 8 16 24 in CCC cause i see jaggies aaarrghh :D

anyoonne know why i canīt use ingmae aa with me HD4870?

grey_1
10-12-08, 07:14 AM
LoL, I missed so much!

My daughters friend gave me his copy of Half-Life in 2002, he was 12 at the time and that is my nostalgia. :p

FastRedPonyCar
10-12-08, 08:10 AM
ha I remember when the first half life came out and it was a 400 meg install... people were freaking out! THATS HUGE!!!

Anyways, nostalgia for me is oregon trail on the old apple IIE.

Once my dad brought home the gateway2000 though, it was ON. Duke nukem, Wolfenstein, Quake, the original C&C and to a degree, quake 2 but the good ol 122 mhz cpu and integrated graphics couldn't quite handle that one smoothly...

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-12-08, 09:11 AM
wasnīt that doom? and doom 2? then Quake?

NarcissistZero
10-12-08, 09:45 AM
I'm mainly nostalgic for two gaming "eras"...

The first is the great Lucasarts/Sierra SCUMM-style adventure games. When I was a young teenager these games were the best things ever, and I would play them endlessly. I even played crappy copy-cat games back then, the names of which I can't even remember. I know one was a cop story called Blue Shield or something. Anyway... Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Police Quest 4... you guys know them all. New adveture games just don't compare, even the new Sam and Max is about 1/10th as good, in my opinion. This is simply a dead genre that was amazing.

The second would be the 16-bit era on consoles. I loved the art styles used back then and pixel graphics altogether. The stories and such sucked, except for RPGs, but there is something special and artistic about the way games looked then, and classic 2D platforming is still probably the smoothest type of gaming, in my opinion. I can't imagine what 2D sprite games could look like now, and companies seem too scared to find out. Even the 2D Bionic Commando remake was done with polygons.

For the most part I am happy with new games... I am glad they are so cinematic in presentation, and I love the new open-world styles and mature content... but I still often miss those two eras I listed above.

jAkUp
10-12-08, 01:46 PM
Anyone ever play Lode Runner?