PDA

View Full Version : Please help with installing 2.41

Cabbage Red
05-19-03, 09:36 PM
I'm using an A7N8X Delux and am having a hard time installing the new 2.41 drivers. After executing the file, it will extract and the splash/laoding screen will appear but once it has finshed loading the program vanishes. Any help you could offer would be great. Thanks!

XP sp 1 (kept uptodate)
DX 9.0a
A7N8X Dlx (using second most recent drivers ;) )
AMD XP 2600+
512 DDR 400 (Dual Channel enabled)
9700 pro (3.4 cats)
Audigy 2 (latest drivers)
S-ATA HD

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tried installing the drivers via right click/install. I recieved an error message during shut down that vanished too quickly for me to read and once the system rebooted Windows failed to do any "new hardware found" actions and "hide inactive icons" stopped working which I've always found to be an early warning that things have gone wrong.

I just tried installing the IDE drivers in safe mode through the divice manager and the problems from above popped up again.

jnd3
05-20-03, 09:01 AM
Here are the steps I took (see specs in the sig below). Note that I have Windows 2000, but it SHOULD be pretty much the same for XP (use at your own risk, no warranty implied or specified, your mileage may vary, etc.):

1. Boot into safe mode
2. Go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and uninstall everything that says "Nvidia".
3. Cancel the reboot, if possible, and continue with step 2. If it forces you to reboot, go back to step 1.
4. Go ahead and remove your Catalyst drivers....you'll probably have to reinstall them since there's a new GART in the nForce driver set.
5. Boot into "normal" Windows.
6. Install the nForce drivers. Reboot.
7. Install the Catalyst drivers (I did Detonators, of course). Reboot.
8. Configure away!

That should get you where you want to be. I'd encourage you to look for some other advice as well (I think I know what I'm talking about, but who knows?), and make sure you've got a nice system restore point! :)

Cheers,
JND

Cabbage Red
05-20-03, 12:44 PM
"make sure you've got a nice system restore point"

If only everything in life could have this feature. :p

Thanks alot for the advice, I'll be taking it. :)

Cabbage Red
05-20-03, 03:32 PM
No luck. My install of windows must have picked up a bug along the way. Time for a backup and resintall.

Anyone happen to know if my motherboard can handle 2 S-ATA drives or will I have to grab an ATA-whatever? Thanks again. :)

jnd3
05-20-03, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that the A7N8X Deluxe handles multiple SATA drives. What specifically was the problem with the attempted install?

Cheers,
JND

Cabbage Red
05-20-03, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the responce. :)

With each attempt the installer simply doesn't go beyond the loading screen. The splash screen will appear, the loading bar does it's thing, then the splash screen and loading bar vanish and nothing more happans. I've hunted around the task manager and no processes seem to be running/stalled that would be associated with the installer. This happens on a normal boot up, in safe mode, with or without Nvidia drivers installed, with or without cleaning the reg of obvious Nvidia entries etc..

I tried to right "click/install" the drivers (with the combonations listed above) but Windows then acts buggy and the ATI display drivers refuse to install. Also, when I do an manual install I will sometimes recieve a small error message (maybe 4-5 words) when I tell the computer to reboot but it vanishes too quickly for me to read it.

Thanks again for your help... it really has me stumped. I've never had a program just not feel like running without at least leaving me with some explination.

Cabbage Red
05-20-03, 09:03 PM
I'm amazed that I neglected to mention this but in Add/Remove Programs there is an entry named "Nvidia NForce Utilities" that when I attempt to unistall it gives me an "installation failed".