PDA

View Full Version : Best Vista version for pure gaming

Pages : [1] 2

breathemetal
10-13-08, 12:36 AM
So im going to reformat my gaming rig just for what it is; gaming.

Gaming and gaming alone. So i want to throw Vista on it, but which version? Im going 64 bit for sure. Should i just go ultimate?

bacon12
10-13-08, 12:49 AM
There is no such thing...

As pure gaming

breathemetal
10-13-08, 01:14 AM
that was helpful

crainger
10-13-08, 01:27 AM
Basic. No extra's, no Aero (You can enable it with a reg hack though), *Should* be light and fast. Otherwise Business is the next best, it has some nice back and security.

However...

If you want Media Centre you'll need Home Premium, in that case might as well go Ultimate.

For pure gaming might as well just do XP, run without a desktop, no themes, tweaked out and stick to DX9. Best thing for pure gaming. I like Vista though. General desktoping is much better with Vista.

breathemetal
10-13-08, 01:44 AM
thanks crainger

crainger
10-13-08, 03:02 AM
Don't thread crap Bandit.

Absolution
10-13-08, 04:07 AM
Don't get windows basic if you want any sort of functionality. It has nothing. . .

Lfctony
10-13-08, 04:32 AM
I'd at least Premium. Basic is pretty much useless...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

LovingSticky
10-13-08, 04:53 AM
"Gaming" on your Apple laptop with 8600GT? That thing will die soon. I would stay with Windows XP SP3 in that case... Or if you want to replace OS X by something better, get Vista Ultimate x64 and there will be no need to dualboot anymore :-)

(most of my friends with Macs did that, after initial "owner pride" period was over, ie. about a month, they reformatted and installed Vista only, as they were using OS X mostly to run Parallels Desktop w/ Win XP to launch their favourite apps; better to run the real thing natively; next time they are getting HP/Dells, as they have much better ergonomics and keyboards)

Rakeesh
10-13-08, 05:02 AM
(most of my friends with Macs did that, after initial "owner pride" period was over, ie. about a month, they reformatted and installed Vista only, as they were using OS X mostly to run Parallels Desktop w/ Win XP to launch their favourite apps; better to run the real thing natively; next time they are getting HP/Dells, as they have much better ergonomics and keyboards)

Not to mention a touch pad that actually has more than one button.

saturnotaku
10-13-08, 07:05 AM
Take it from someone who actually owns almost the same MacBook Pro that you do and who has experimented with XP and Vista on it--stick with XP. It runs extremely well on the Mac. Vista is a bit heavy, and the x64 versions are a complete pain in the neck to get running properly, as drivers are hard to come by--I know there is an updated set of drivers on Apple's Web site for Vista x64, but the installer requires that you have already installed the first set of Boot Camp drivers from the OS X Leopard DVD.

Bottom line, Vista on a MacBook isn't worth it. I've been running XP on mine for about a year now, and it's much easier to deal with. Its performance is quite good, too.

ViN86
10-13-08, 11:45 AM
get Home Premium.

has a lot of extras without the price of Ultimate.

Dragunov
10-13-08, 12:01 PM
Well MS said in the past, the would implement something in Vista, so when u loaded a game, the unused services would be stopped and reenabled once u stop gaming, but they never did

ViN86
10-13-08, 12:29 PM
Well MS said in the past, the would implement something in Vista, so when u loaded a game, the unused services would be stopped and reenabled once u stop gaming, but they never did

Aero does that. that's why Aero doesnt effect gaming performance.

bacon12
10-13-08, 01:33 PM
I agree with Vin home prem. is the way to go.

Dragunov
10-13-08, 02:17 PM
Aero does that. that's why Aero doesnt effect gaming performance.

it's not only AERO who needs to stop but alot of other services aswell and those tool would do this, but yeah, they didn't implement this

j0j081
10-13-08, 02:21 PM
Business is the best for gaming by a long shot. It doesn't have media center running in the background by default.

breathemetal
10-13-08, 03:06 PM
i decided to just use Vista home basic x64
seems to be running good

got Crysis Warhead with 2x AA and "Gamer" settings and its running super smooth. Im gonna try to add more AA or just go to Enthusiast ans see what happens

crainger
10-13-08, 04:30 PM
Good Luck breathe.

crainger
10-13-08, 10:14 PM
I haven't really played with Windows too much. I find it runs just as fast with the default services running and is often more stable.

Mr Bigman
10-13-08, 11:11 PM
Good choice vim.

And i don't play with srvices too much cuz it breaks the windows driver foundation service for some reason and puts yellow marks in hidden drivers shuvs.

Enjoy that version cuz its very clean.

crainger
10-14-08, 01:28 AM
It's Bigman certified. Wonder how that stacks up against nekro certified software.

methimpikehoses
10-14-08, 01:50 AM
Probably about as well as nekro would stack up against Bigman in a cage match to the death.

Buy now on PPV.

crainger
10-14-08, 01:58 AM
nekro IS a Witcher remember. Probably serviced more peasant women than Bigman has seen in his entire life!

XDanger
10-14-08, 06:10 PM
http://www.vlite.net/about.html ?

But you'd probably be better off with the xp version
http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

I have no personal experience of nlite/vlite