PDA

View Full Version : NV30 - Nah, ship it!

Geo
05-19-03, 11:27 PM
Yknow, this is actually the first sign Ive seen in months that NV might really be starting to regain their equilibrium internally. Probably the cheating accusations hit after this thing was done or nearly so, but still. It is nice to see them starting to regain their sense of humor after many months of defensive and almost martyr-like vibes coming from them. Yeah, I am mostly an ATI guy in recent years, but first I am a fan of healthy competition in the space, and it is nice to see NV showing some signs of feeling good about themselves again. . .at least enuf to do something like this little video. Of course, if I was one of those who had shelled out for a 5800U I might have a different opinion, but happily I didnt. . .

jAkUp
05-19-03, 11:42 PM
heres the video if anyone hasnt seen it
http://www.nvnews.net/files/NVIDIAFlowFX_video.zip

what would really be cool is if nvidia gave us geforcefx 5800 ultra users a rebate towards a 5900... maybe if we send the 5800 in or something... hehe :D

Clockwork
05-19-03, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
hehe :D

Why are you smiling about nVidia making fun of a card that you purchased. How is that funny?

They're laughing all the way to the bank, because you got suckered out of you money. Hell, to nVidia the 5800 no longer exists....

If I were you I would be not only insulted, but down right pissed off.

:mad: :(

Geo
05-19-03, 11:55 PM
[ what would really be cool is if nvidia gave us geforcefx 5800 ultra users a rebate towards a 5900... maybe if we send the 5800 in or something... hehe :D [/B] Given that they didnt sell all that many of them (on purpose), that is not only a great idea from a public relations viewpoint towards what has to be some of their biggest supporters (at least some of whom have got to be at least somewhat disgruntled), but it shouldnt even hit them that hard in the pocketbook. Say $150 towards a new 5900U when you send your dustbuster in?

bkswaney
05-19-03, 11:57 PM
heres the video if anyone hasnt seen it
http://www.nvnews.net/files/NVIDIAFlowFX_video.zip

what would really be cool is if nvidia gave us geforcefx 5800 ultra users a rebate towards a 5900... maybe if we send the 5800 in or something... hehe :D

That would be nice. :)
They lost there butt on the NV30 anyway.
The cooling alone cost a lot of $.
Heck 50 dollars off would be nice. :D

ChrisRay
05-19-03, 11:58 PM
I dunno, I wouldn't be insulted owning a Geforce FX 5800 Ultra, it might not be the best performer, But it sure as hell isn't a bad one.

bkswaney
05-20-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I dunno, I wouldn't be insulted owning a Geforce FX 5800 Ultra, it might not be the best performer, But it sure as hell isn't a bad one.

I agree there. The card runs d@mn good and it's stable as a rock.
Unlike my old 9700.

saturnotaku
05-20-03, 12:05 AM
Right now the only reason anyone should consider a 5800 Ultra is for its novelty/rareness. With the 9800 Pro available and 5900 Ultra cards on the immediate horizon there's no reason anyone looking for a top card should think about the 5800U - as if you'd even be able to find one for sale without checking ebay.

Speaking of, the novelty of my FX has worn off and I have a Sapphire 9800 Pro (which is supposed to overclock like mad) on the way. The poor quality FSAA was starting to get to me. I so preferred AA on my former 9500. It'll be nice to go back.

BTW - in case anyone is wondering my 5800 has been sold so don't bother asking about it. ;)

jAkUp
05-20-03, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
BTW - in case anyone is wondering my 5800 has been sold so don't bother asking about it. ;)

how much did you get for it??

saturnotaku
05-20-03, 12:12 AM
Enough. Not quite what I paid for it, but I didn't get totally soaked either. Lemme put it this way - I got what I expected to get and a little bit more than what some folks were suggesting. So my out-of-pocket on the 9800 didn't cost me more than getting an Xbox game - do the math on that one. ;)

jAkUp
05-20-03, 12:20 AM
wow... nice. i can make an assumtion around how much that is... very very nice. i wish i could get something like that from mine:)

bkswaney
05-20-03, 12:36 AM
wow... nice. i can make an assumtion around how much that is... very very nice. i wish i could get something like that from mine:)

You can. There r a lot of people in the world that would like to have one for a fare price. :)
U can get 300 for it easy. Just put it on ebay. :D

jAkUp
05-20-03, 12:43 AM
i would... but i cant be videocardless!!!i really want a 5900:D bah... maybe ill keep on to my nv30 as a novelty:) and i have yet to see anything that brings it to its knees anyways... its been good to me;)

Ady
05-20-03, 02:03 AM
I wanted to ask a 5800 owner their feelings on this video. How do you feel that they are now publicly making fun of something that they fully stood behind and convinced you to buy not that long ago?

ChrisRay
05-20-03, 02:40 AM
This video was obviously an inside joke. Anyway, They are only making fun of the cooler, Not the card, and it's in good taste IMO.

They still are supporting it. MOST people who bought an FX 5800 Ultra were aware of the cooler situation anyway

vampireuk
05-20-03, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Clockwork
Why are you smiling about nVidia making fun of a card that you purchased. How is that funny?

They're laughing all the way to the bank, because you got suckered out of you money. Hell, to nVidia the 5800 no longer exists....

Because he has a sense of humour maybe?

StealthHawk
05-20-03, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
This video was obviously an inside joke. Anyway, They are only making fun of the cooler, Not the card, and it's in good taste IMO.

They still are supporting it. MOST people who bought an FX 5800 Ultra were aware of the cooler situation anyway

LOL, yeah, they are "supporting" it. You have to admit that all information on the gfFX5800 is hidden away (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11767) on nvidia's website though.

The gfFX5800 had one of the worst launches ever. As it stands, with the 43.51+ drivers the card isn't nearly as bad as it looked in the p(reviews).

ChrisRay
05-20-03, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
LOL, yeah, they are "supporting" it. You have to admit that all information on the gfFX5800 is hidden away (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11767) on nvidia's website though.

The gfFX5800 had one of the worst launches ever. As it stands, with the 43.51+ drivers the card isn't nearly as bad as it looked in the p(reviews).

Well ya Obviously its removed and hidden, I guess I can understand why they are doing that. Mainly due to there being no supply of it I guess, And its just PR,

But the card itself still isn't bad, and should continue to get better as long as the Nv30/Nv35 series is around

But I clearly admit, the AF was the reason I got an ATI card, I simply couldn't bare with the quality I was seeing on anandtech,

I am very glad they got that issue together

saturnotaku
05-20-03, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ady
I wanted to ask a 5800 owner their feelings on this video. How do you feel that they are now publicly making fun of something that they fully stood behind and convinced you to buy not that long ago?

I honestly didn't care. I knew darn well what I was getting into when I clicked the "submit order" button. I just wanted to see what this card was all about. As I've previously said, this was a novelty purchase more than anything else and now I'm moving forward to a card I know should give me better performance and FSAA quality, as well as should theoretically give me some excellent overclocking results.

Had it not been hyped as much as it was, I think it would have received a much warmer reception especially with the recent driver improvements.

RobHague
05-20-03, 11:35 AM
Hey can someone upload this video somewhere as Nvnews have pulled it :( I want to see it....

Ta

StealthHawk
05-20-03, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Hey can someone upload this video somewhere as Nvnews have pulled it :( I want to see it....

Ta

Check the front page, it tells you where you can get it.

quik_2_win
05-20-03, 07:04 PM
Yes- the video is hilarious! I think the 'noise' gets louder each time they play it....honestly I'm very pleased with my 5800Ultra. I knew what it was when I bought it- as I'm sure anyone did that paid for it. I don't want a rebate/apology from nV- they don't owe me one. I will likely keep the 5800Ultra when I update(for the novelty value), although I don't see myself jumping on nV35- I will likely skip a generation and buy it's successor...

Lucien1964
05-21-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Clockwork

:mad: :(

Well thats Nvidia.They make some good products but when some questionable ones arrive they will cover it up.Nvidia is the Microsoft of the Video card world.Their PR BS goes way out of bounds.The only way I'll ever buy a Nvidia product again will be from a 2nd hand source.