PDA

View Full Version : Gothic 4 is looking good!

|MaguS|
10-14-08, 08:47 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277334.html

Leaked gameplay video, if it is Gothic 4 then man looks like they finally did it right.

CaptNKILL
10-14-08, 09:05 AM
Looks pretty cool, though obviously a very early version.

I love how the guy reached for the arrow stuck in his back before collapsing. Very nice effect. I've never seen anything like that in a game before. :)

Gothic is a series I tried several times to get into but I just can't get over the terrible design decisions and general unpolished feel. Hopefully a new developer can bring back the realistic open-world feel without making the game incredibly frustrating and glitchy.

LordJuanlo
10-14-08, 09:32 AM
Gothic games always look good, I hope this one is great gameplay wise

sl0ppy_sec0nds
10-14-08, 12:44 PM
There is a better high quality version on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSyCf3bVuNc

Dragunov
10-14-08, 02:37 PM
Seems it's idd a very early version, cause I guess he plays in invisible mode or there is no AI yet

SH64
10-14-08, 04:10 PM
Meh TESV will eat it for launch.

J/k looks good!! :p

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-15-08, 01:51 AM
Gothic is a series I tried several times to get into but I just can't get over the terrible design decisions and general unpolished feel.

Despite the awkwardness, Gothic 2 is a fantastic game, especially when you're about a thrid into the game, go to the valley mines and discover an entire part of the game where just about any monster could kill you in 1/2 hits lol. G2 IMO has a great dark atmosphere and vibe to it. Didn't get that much from G3, but its still a good game.

Then again, it took me 3 times to get myself to play two worlds because the voice acting/music/sound fx is so terrible lol... Eventually, I did play it through and if you take out those things, there is a great game in there!

[QUOTE=CaptNKILL]Hopefully a new developer can bring back the realistic open-world feel without making the game incredibly frustrating and glitchy.

Actually, it is a new developer... JoWood had a legal battle with Piranha Bytes and JoWood now owns the rights to the Gothic series. They gave the dev project to Spellbound Studio, who also took over the fixing of Gothic 3, and merged their patch (fixed memory management, performance, etc) with the community patch... So far everything is working much better than the original IMO. Still not bug-free but quite playable.

CaptNKILL
10-15-08, 02:08 AM
Actually, it is a new developer... JoWood had a legal battle with Piranha Bytes and JoWood now owns the rights to the Gothic series. They gave the dev project to Spellbound Studio, who also took over the fixing of Gothic 3, and merged their patch (fixed memory management, performance, etc) with the community patch... So far everything is working much better than the original IMO. Still not bug-free but quite playable.

Yeah I know Gothic 4 has a new dev, that's what I was referring to when I said that. :)

As far as the monsters that can kill you in one or two hits... that was my main problem with the game. :p

I have no problem with large monsters whooping my ass because I wandered right into their den. The mistake that Gothic 2 made was that there was usually no way to tell which monsters could whoop your ass, and often times, the ones that you could easily beat would get lucky hits that kill you in a single random blow. I remember fighting off some pretty large monsters then going into a cave full of little brown goblins or something. The goblins were rather easy to fight, then a black one showed up that was the same size (about 3 feet tall and skinny) and it killed me with two punches. There was no visible reason for it to be so powerful and it just made the game needlessly frustrating. It doesn't have to be easy, but it'd be nice if it at least made sense. :p

I actually enjoyed the style of the game and the attention to detail, but it was just way too frustrating and random. Especially the clunky combat system. You could sit and whack away at some generic looking bandit for a full minute and then for some reason one of his attacks does 10x more damage than the rest and kills you instantly. I read into this and its because the critical hits actually DO inflict 10x damage or more. So, you may take 20 hits in a fight or you may take 2, depending on random rolls of the dice. It kind of defeats the purpose of improving your character when random dice rolls effect the outcome of a battle far more than your skills or equipment.

Just my opinion of course. I know a lot of people enjoy these games there were just several significant things that made no sense to me.

K007
10-15-08, 02:57 AM
they always look interesting...then the demo comes out...and then the vomit taste begins..

Vanzagar
10-15-08, 12:53 PM
Yeah I know Gothic 4 has a new dev, that's what I was referring to when I said that. :)

As far as the monsters that can kill you in one or two hits... that was my main problem with the game. :p

I have no problem with large monsters whooping my ass because I wandered right into their den. The mistake that Gothic 2 made was that there was usually no way to tell which monsters could whoop your ass, and often times, the ones that you could easily beat would get lucky hits that kill you in a single random blow. I remember fighting off some pretty large monsters then going into a cave full of little brown goblins or something. The goblins were rather easy to fight, then a black one showed up that was the same size (about 3 feet tall and skinny) and it killed me with two punches. There was no visible reason for it to be so powerful and it just made the game needlessly frustrating. It doesn't have to be easy, but it'd be nice if it at least made sense. :p

I actually enjoyed the style of the game and the attention to detail, but it was just way too frustrating and random. Especially the clunky combat system. You could sit and whack away at some generic looking bandit for a full minute and then for some reason one of his attacks does 10x more damage than the rest and kills you instantly. I read into this and its because the critical hits actually DO inflict 10x damage or more. So, you may take 20 hits in a fight or you may take 2, depending on random rolls of the dice. It kind of defeats the purpose of improving your character when random dice rolls effect the outcome of a battle far more than your skills or equipment.

Just my opinion of course. I know a lot of people enjoy these games there were just several significant things that made no sense to me.

Interesting, that would be a deal breaker for me... I've been thinking about giving the Gothic series a try but I play an RPG like a "Roll Playing" experrience, to me that means if you die once your dead, you have to start the game over (I may give myself one mulligan). I wonder if there are mods that fix this "randomness"...

Section-9
10-15-08, 01:13 PM
It does look good, HUD could use a little work though. :)

CaptNKILL
10-15-08, 05:00 PM
Interesting, that would be a deal breaker for me... I've been thinking about giving the Gothic series a try but I play an RPG like a "Roll Playing" experrience, to me that means if you die once your dead, you have to start the game over (I may give myself one mulligan). I wonder if there are mods that fix this "randomness"...

I recommend giving Gothic 2 a try if you can find it cheap. It has a very cool and unique game world, and its worth giving a shot, just in case the problems don't bother you too much.