PDA

View Full Version : going 64bit

Dirthead
10-14-08, 12:01 PM
well it took the dump and going up to vista 64 bit along with 6Gb of ram.

So basically reformat hard drive install the 64bit version and drivers and games and be set or is there another way that works better?

Single Player
10-14-08, 12:08 PM
i did it like this.

Toss3
10-14-08, 01:44 PM

So basically reformat hard drive install the 64bit version and drivers and games and be set or is there another way that works better?

Remember to install your raid and ahci drivers during setup, just for some future-proofing! :)

einstein_314
10-14-08, 07:49 PM

Is there another way to install an operating system?

Dirthead
10-15-08, 12:10 AM
Guess i was asking if its better to reformat or if the upgrade will work fine.

Have a few other questions.

I have the home premium 64 bit OEM coming. How hard would it be to get the OS activated? I really hope i do not have to talk to someone who does not know English and take a hour or so to get windows activated.

Also, Should i install my new ram before installing the OS? Or install the ram after the OS?

Wolfhound
10-15-08, 02:08 AM
If you have a 32bit OS you cannot upgrade to 64bit OS, a reformat is needed, activitaion is done via internet and yes install the memory before install windows, check this guide: http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/installguide.htm

npras42
10-15-08, 06:59 AM
yeah, erm install with the memory in unless it doesn't complete the install, then take out all the memeory except one stick and try again.

ICE2K
10-31-08, 07:21 PM
yes install the memory before install windows,
yea it'll make the install go faster