PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Episode 3 is not coming anytime soon

Pages : [1] 2

BioHazZarD
10-14-08, 11:17 AM
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=55310

Bad news, Freeman fans. It looks like Half-Life 2: Episode Three won't arrive for a while--possibly 2010--going by an interview with Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi.

"The next time you play as Gordon will be longer than the distance between Half-Life 2 to Episode One, and Episode One to Episode Two," Lombardi told Kikizo when asked about Episode Three.

Epic fail :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

LordJuanlo
10-14-08, 11:20 AM
Why I'm not surprissed?

BTW, 2010 in Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time) could be a lot of years

nekrosoft13
10-14-08, 11:28 AM
excellent link Juanlo

evox
10-14-08, 11:40 AM
LAME.

Dreamingawake
10-14-08, 11:40 AM
cool, then maybe the graphics will be super good by then !!

Toss3
10-14-08, 11:49 AM
rofl epic fail!

"When it's done = A month or two after just to be sure"

Severian126
10-14-08, 11:58 AM
Man that sucks. I just finished Episode 1 a few weeks ago. Been looking to start on Episode 2. God I hope I don't face a cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2 (note: I never bothered reading reviews on that one).

omzig
10-14-08, 12:00 PM
So much for episodic gaming & it reducing the wait for between releases...as Toss3 says

Epic Fail

Banko
10-14-08, 12:09 PM
Damn it appears that DNF will be out before HL2 Episode 3 at this rate anyways. What's funny is that George Broussard said that DNF will come out before HL2 long ago, and technically that might be true since Episode 3 is part of the HL2 stuff.

Toss3
10-14-08, 12:11 PM
Funny interview from 2006:

Eurogamer: So why did you go for this episodic system?

Gabe Newell: The original Half-Life took us two years to develop. With a considerably larger team Half-Life 2 took us six years to develop, so we thought if we were going to continue our trend with Half-Life 3 we would basically ship after we had all retired.

We're trying to come up with a better way of getting more timely updates to our customers and also come up with something that didn't have the complexities. Projects increased logarithmically with how much we tried to do, so if you tried to put twice as much content or technology into a box it ends up taking you four times the amount of work, right, and so we're trying to figure out a better solution.

We left Half-Life 2 on a cliffhanger with the Citadel blowing up, Alyx is a couple of feet away from the explosion, so what's going to happen? People were pretty clear that they didn't want to have to wait as long as they had previously to find out what happened.

grey_1
10-14-08, 12:23 PM
That's lousy.
Half-life2 was average, to me.

ep1 was better than average

I loved ep2 and still play it.

I would rather have the excellent game with ep2 graphics and tech sooner, than something that may or may not impress 2-4 years down the road.

Enough of this crap Newall..just deliver the game or go away. :thumbdwn:

Destroy
10-14-08, 12:24 PM
So much for episodic gaming & it reducing the wait for between releases...as Toss3 says Epic Fail

QFT.

NaitoSan
10-14-08, 01:36 PM
Maybe they're actually working on HL3 instead of ep3? :eek: I don't know. :o

Lfctony
10-14-08, 02:13 PM
Man that sucks. I just finished Episode 1 a few weeks ago. Been looking to start on Episode 2. God I hope I don't face a cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2 (note: I never bothered reading reviews on that one).

Oh boy, you're in for a surprise mate... :)

poullos
10-14-08, 03:09 PM
Lombardi said the word episodic was wrong. The idea was to cut those 6 years they took to develop HL 2, to fewer bits of releases every 1.5-2 years. I don't mind waiting for ep 3 because I know the quality valve delivers. And I don't see a preview before L4D is shipped and sells good. Last thing they want is to pass the excitement to a future title.

sillyeagle
10-14-08, 03:10 PM
I used to like Valve, but these days they just p*ss me off with their BS. That's an exaggeration as it's not really that important to me, but it makes my point. lol

Rakeesh
10-14-08, 04:27 PM
HL2 Episode 3 is not coming anytime soon

Honestly did you expect anything different?

3DBrad
10-14-08, 06:33 PM
I hope they reserve Half-Life 3 until the next BIG step in graphics/hardware (perhaps raytracing and true displacement maps, real-time global illumination, etc.)
:D

The Orange Box is still doing great, no need for them to jump onto the next episode, but rather, they should take their time with it. :)

bob saget
10-14-08, 10:22 PM
i like gordon.

NaitoSan
10-14-08, 11:14 PM
i like gordon.
hai!

bob saget
10-15-08, 12:10 AM
hai. i kill zombies with teh crates.

Lfctony
10-15-08, 01:57 AM
I hope they reserve Half-Life 3 until the next BIG step in graphics/hardware (perhaps raytracing and true displacement maps, real-time global illumination, etc.)
:D

The Orange Box is still doing great, no need for them to jump onto the next episode, but rather, they should take their time with it. :)

Yes, HL3, coming soon. I'll have grandchildren by the time its out...

K007
10-15-08, 03:00 AM
lmao @ the valve time thing..

Coming soon = When Duke Nukem Forever goes gold

As for HLEP3, i hope they plan to go for a new engine maybe and then maybe come out with hl3?

CaptNKILL
10-15-08, 03:13 AM
I'd rather see them take a break from Half-Life after Episode 3. They do some amazing work, and I'd like to see what they can do with a new IP or even a different genre.

A Valve first person RPG based on an updated Source engine = teh win. ;)

nutcrackr
10-15-08, 03:15 AM
I had a feeling this would happen, I expected mid or late 09, but 2010 is pretty bad, that's like 26 months :/