PDA

View Full Version : PS3 2.50 Firmware released

Pages : [1] 2

Medion
10-14-08, 11:23 PM
Big updates seem to be Flash 9 support for the browser, and official Bluetooth Headset support. There's more, but the firmware isn't up on their PC portal yet. Downloading via PS3 atm.

|JuiceZ|
10-14-08, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

crainger
10-14-08, 11:33 PM
Woot. I like to pretend each new firmware update is a brand new console...

::bleh::

Flash 9 is good. Any word on how the PS3 handles HD Gametrailer vids in flash?

NaitoSan
10-14-08, 11:37 PM
I'm downloading it as well. :D Too bad, HOME didn't come with it. :p

Marvel_us
10-15-08, 12:15 AM
Woot. I like to pretend each new firmware update is a brand new console...

::bleh::

Flash 9 is good. Any word on how the PS3 handles HD Gametrailer vids in flash?

Just tested an HD video they had up. Runs decent in windowed mode. Gets really choppy when in fullscreen.

There's also some minor changes to the trophy menus, a search function on videos and the account manager is now handled in the xmb instead of web based, which is waaaaay better now.

crainger
10-15-08, 01:05 AM
Search? Nice. I needed that about a month ago. In the end I became to frustrated and just deleted the collection of cool trailers I had. Plus the Heaven Sword vids come on the game disc I believe.

Bummer the fullscreen flash is choppy. Works fine on my quad, but my HTPC chops up. Was hoping the PS3 could handle it.

NaitoSan
10-15-08, 01:57 AM
Here's the proof that teh cell isn't greatest of all... :p

Medion
10-15-08, 11:41 AM
My biggest beef is that the browser runs out of memory too quickly.

NaitoSan
10-15-08, 11:48 AM
That happened to me often. Pretty annoying.

crainger
10-15-08, 03:39 PM
So lame. My P4 3.0 plays fullscreen High Quality Youtube vids with ease. PS3 can't even make the fullscreen and they still run choppy!

|MagSuS| please fix this next update thnx.

On the plus side power save options are nice and have been a long time due. I'd often switch on folding and leave only to come back ready to game with a flat controller.

Only issue is it may turn off during MGS4 cutscenes. ::D:

jlippo
10-16-08, 01:27 AM
So lame. My P4 3.0 plays fullscreen High Quality Youtube vids with ease. PS3 can't even make the fullscreen and they still run choppy!
4GHZ P4 runs around PPE in single thread performance with ease, this is not surprise.
Perhaps next gen we see a console which has decent main core in it's CPU, currently we have none. ;)

crainger
10-16-08, 01:29 AM
My P4 should play Flash with even more ease now Flash 10 is out and my GPU and join in on the processing.

NarcissistZero
10-16-08, 02:03 AM
I think they added the ability to start downloads and have them continue with the system off, which is awesome. That was one of the few things the 360 does the PS3 still did not.

Marvel_us
10-16-08, 07:36 AM
I think they added the ability to start downloads and have them continue with the system off, which is awesome. That was one of the few things the 360 does the PS3 still did not.

Continue with the system off? Maybe you mean the downloads continue and when they're finished the system will turn off it you set it do to so, because that's what they added.

npras42
10-16-08, 07:38 AM
Continue with the system off? Maybe you mean the downloads continue and when they're finished the system will turn off it you set it do to so, because that's what they added.

Same difference.

Marvel_us
10-16-08, 07:41 AM
Same difference.

No, big difference. His method would be borderline magic.

npras42
10-16-08, 07:58 AM
No, big difference. His method would be borderline magic.

Wow, and you dont think you're getting slightly pinickety about what he means when you probably understood exactly what he meant the first time you read it. :rolleyes: Are you going to correct everyone's grammar next?

Bman212121
10-16-08, 10:22 AM
Wow, and you dont think you're getting slightly pinickety about what he means when you probably understood exactly what he meant the first time you read it. :rolleyes: Are you going to correct everyone's grammar next?

Actually it was nice of him to explain it a little more throughly. I took it as the system goes into a standby state where it turns off everything but the hdd, network card, and the cell.

So it just functions like normal, but has the ability to turn itself off after it is done downloading files.

S.I.N
10-16-08, 11:35 AM
The flash support is great but I sit too far back from my TV to really get much out of it. I think the PS3 is fast becoming a sort of alternative to the PC though. Many of the same features except I wouldn't take a chance at keeping it on for hours on end.

NarcissistZero
10-16-08, 01:32 PM

The 360 turns itself completely off except for downloading... it is not displaying an image, it is not showing any signs of life except a rare blink so you know it's downloading. That's pretty much "off" if you ask me. The system is not running in a normal capacity.

But yes, it's still running in some capacity, which I suppose means it's not completely "off." You got me there, you master of logic.

ralinn
10-16-08, 06:07 PM
4GHZ P4 runs around PPE in single thread performance with ease, this is not surprise.
Perhaps next gen we see a console which has decent main core in it's CPU, currently we have none. ;)

Surely the choppiness of the video in full screen may just be a bug?

crainger
10-17-08, 11:42 PM
How do you make it download after power off? I tested it today but it just went off and did nothng!

Or does it just power off after download and idle? I'm still confused...

Marvel_us
10-18-08, 12:15 AM
The 360 turns itself completely off except for downloading... it is not displaying an image, it is not showing any signs of life except a rare blink so you know it's downloading. That's pretty much "off" if you ask me. The system is not running in a normal capacity.

But yes, it's still running in some capacity, which I suppose means it's not completely "off." You got me there, you master of logic.

I don't have a 360 so I don't know what the system does or doesn't do. I was merely trying to correct what you were saying. The PS3 does not do that. It stays on while downloading and turns itself off once the download is done.

Don't know why people are getting on me for my comment but whatever. As Bman stated the way you worded could have given some people the wrong impression and I was only trying to clarify what you were saying.

Would rather me have said, "No dumbass the PS3 can't do that!"?

Wow, and you dont think you're getting slightly pinickety about what he means when you probably understood exactly what he meant the first time you read it. Are you going to correct everyone's grammar next?

You're missing the point and making this bigger than it is. Do you even own a PS3? I understood what he said only because I own a PS3 and I know what the update does. I was only trying to clarify things so people didn't think the system did something it can't do.

Marvel_us
10-18-08, 12:17 AM
How do you make it download after power off? I tested it today but it just went off and did nothng!

Or does it just power off after download and idle? I'm still confused...

Set something to download. Then go to the Turn Off icon under the users tab of the xmb, the first tab to the left. You'll see the box for it. The ps3 will just stay on like normal and turn off once your download or installation is complete.

crainger
10-18-08, 12:31 AM
OH!

Nice feature.