PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2 DRM Details

Pages : [1] 2

evox
10-15-08, 09:54 AM
lol, I am sure nobody saw this coming! :p

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3981062496/p/1

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations per machine on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

LordJuanlo
10-15-08, 09:56 AM
Every uninstall revokes a license, that's good. If we can play with no DVD in drive, just like the Witcher or Mass Effect, I'm fine with this protection

ArrowMk84
10-15-08, 10:13 AM
Holy crap... A semi-logical DRM scheme? I'm shocked!

jAkUp
10-15-08, 10:22 AM
Sounds good, can't wait for the game :D

Buio
10-15-08, 10:30 AM
If we can play with no DVD in drive, just like the Witcher or Mass Effect, I'm fine with this protection

No dvd in drive is a big bonus indeed.

ViN86
10-15-08, 10:36 AM
if i get this it will be on Steam anyways, but at least theyre starting to use their heads with DRM. the revoking idea is a great one :thumbsup:

HiCZoK4
10-15-08, 10:43 AM
Thats why I hate playing recent pc games. ONLINE ACTIVATION...

nekrosoft13
10-15-08, 10:49 AM
OMFG the scary internet

nekrosoft13
10-15-08, 10:51 AM
Every uninstall revokes a license, that's good. If we can play with no DVD in drive, just like the Witcher or Mass Effect, I'm fine with this protection

sounds good :)

only downside is if your PC/OS fails for some reason and you can't uninstall. But i got that covered by weekly back-up of C (OS) and D (Programs) drives

all these DRM systems are still missing one thing. Online managment of your activations with possibility to revoke.

You should be able to go to EA or UBI website login and see which games you have activated. In case your PC or OS failed you would be able to revoke that one activation.

mailman2
10-15-08, 10:53 AM
hrmm, and Oblivion sold millions of copies without any protection at all...

Lfctony
10-15-08, 10:56 AM
sounds good :)

only downside is if your PC/OS fails for some reason and you can't uninstall. But i got that covered by weekly back-up of C (OS) and D (Programs) drives

all these DRM systems are still missing one thing. Online managment of your activations with possibility to revoke.

You should be able to go to EA or UBI website login and see which games you have activated. In case your PC or OS failed you would be able to revoke that one activation.

That would require Internet access every time you start the game... The game has to check your license online every time you start... If it didn't, then you'd install 3 times lets say, clear your licenses online and reinstall again on other PCs etc, while the first 3 PCs would still run the game normally...

six_storm
10-15-08, 11:05 AM
I'm getting this one via Steam so I guess it won't matter.

Severian126
10-15-08, 11:14 AM
DRM sounds very reasonable. It may not put a huge dent in piracy, but it doesn't harm the legal buyers as well. Might be a nuisance to some, but for me, I probably won't notice it. Heck, Mass Effect was seamless for me, and no DVD in the drive is a BIG +.

LordJuanlo
10-15-08, 11:16 AM
It will matter six_storm, you will still have the same limitations, just like Crysis Warhead (http://store.steampowered.com/app/17330/) or Stalker Clear Sky (http://store.steampowered.com/app/20510/) on Steam

3rd-party DRM: TAGES™ 5 machine activation limit

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™ 5 machine activation limit

mailman2
10-15-08, 11:25 AM
I'm getting this one via Steam so I guess it won't matter.

Its even worse with Steam!! Trust me on this, after the mess Clear Sky was I finally got Valve to refund me. I was locked out for 2 weeks. Valve and GSC just kept pointing fingers and I was never able to get resolve. I finally threatened with a complaint to the BBB and they just refunded me after 10 previous attempts to just get my money back. DO NOT BUY THIS THROUGH STEAM!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED>

I agree with the online activation, that would work much better.

LordJuanlo
10-15-08, 11:30 AM
That would require Internet access every time you start the game... The game has to check your license online every time you start... If it didn't, then you'd install 3 times lets say, clear your licenses online and reinstall again on other PCs etc, while the first 3 PCs would still run the game normally...

Yes, the perfect DRM system would be:

- No DRM at all

Well, that's not possible today because of the high piracy level, so I would say in the perfect DRM system the user should be able to choose between:

A) Up to 5 installations on 3 different machines, no DVD needed to play, game uninstall revokes one license, after license is granted you don't need to be online to play
B) Up to 5 installations on 3 different machines, no DVD needed to play, you can revoke from a web page, but you need to be online to play. If your internet connection is not available when you want to play, you can use your game DVD to authenticate the game
C) No internet at all and no activation at all, but DVD needed to play.

You should be able to change the game authentication system via the game control panel after the game has been installed, so in any situation (temporal internet malfunction, game DVD lost or damaged) you should be able to play.

LurkerLito
10-15-08, 11:57 AM
It sounds fair, but IMO they still need a way to do a "revoke all Licenses" option because of the possibility that the OS HD crashed or you replaced some equipment but forgot to uninstall the game.

I still stand by the idea though that there should be NO other DRM on the Steam Version of games other than Steam. I will most likely pick this up via a retail store, I'd rather get it on steam for the convenience factor but I don't want to support any 3rd party DRM on steam.

six_storm
10-15-08, 12:04 PM
Its even worse with Steam!! Trust me on this, after the mess Clear Sky was I finally got Valve to refund me. I was locked out for 2 weeks. Valve and GSC just kept pointing fingers and I was never able to get resolve. I finally threatened with a complaint to the BBB and they just refunded me after 10 previous attempts to just get my money back. DO NOT BUY THIS THROUGH STEAM!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED>

I agree with the online activation, that would work much better.

Am I missing something here? If I download it on Steam, don't try to uninstall/reinstall, install new hardware any time soon, there shouldn't be a problem correct?

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-15-08, 12:05 PM
to heck with all protections we did fine earlier and we can do without now.

Well at the same time it might be a good imaginary barrier for the paranoid devs.

:)

seriously donīt you guys think devs/pubs and all would be better off, since everytime a new protecton comes along evrybody goes nuts.

so what ya think protection or not?

wollyka
10-15-08, 12:06 PM
Better than other DRMs at least.. i hope it will work well, and the upcoming prince of Persia game comes with a similar or better DRM scheme

|MaguS|
10-15-08, 12:08 PM
No complaints here, still have my preorder through steam.

Lfctony
10-15-08, 12:18 PM
It sounds fair, but IMO they still need a way to do a "revoke all Licenses" option because of the possibility that the OS HD crashed or you replaced some equipment but forgot to uninstall the game.

I still stand by the idea though that there should be NO other DRM on the Steam Version of games other than Steam. I will most likely pick this up via a retail store, I'd rather get it on steam for the convenience factor but I don't want to support any 3rd party DRM on steam.

Any option to revoke licenses without uninstalling would require an online check every time you start the game. This is to prevent you from activating the game then clear the licenses online and install on other PCs as well... Not a good system IMO...

lumpyhed
10-15-08, 12:23 PM
Order cancelled. Probably get it on 360 now...to think i just got a GTX260 too!

six_storm
10-15-08, 01:08 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. If you leave your hardware alone and don't uninstall/reinstall a thousand times, then this shouldn't be a big deal.

Lfctony
10-15-08, 01:31 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. If you leave your hardware alone and don't uninstall/reinstall a thousand times, then this shouldn't be a big deal.

If the uninstall tool works as it should, ie connect to the net and remove one installation as it's supposed to do then this will work perfectly...