PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah - super underrated?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gaco
10-17-08, 07:35 AM
I finally took the time to get into Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, a game that I bought way back when it was released, but performance was too bad and it crashed too much on my old rig, I'm now playing it on a new PC.

I think it's awesome so far. I checked gamerankings out of curiosity too see what the reviewers said and was shocked with the great amount of less-than-good reviews, many from major sites in between the 60% and 70%. Granted, game instability must be punished in the final score, and that's the reason why I couldn't play it in the first place but waited so long. But now that it is running smoothly I am highly entertained, it's actually a bit better than I expected. I'm playing on hardcore of course, it's a bit hard to begin with but you're thankful later on that it isn't easier when you get mightier.

I'd give it 8.5/10, if it didn't have stability problems, 9/10.

So in conclusion, no it's probably not super underrated because game crashes is a very serious game issue, something really basic, and should perhaps drag the game down below 8.5, but I just can't bring myself to do it now that I'm not experiencing the problems anymore and just having a blast playing it :D
But IMO it probably is a bit underrated anyway.

What do you guys think about it?

nekrosoft13
10-17-08, 07:48 AM
love the game, but never finished it. i got the crystal spider statue and stopped. somehow i lost/missed some crystal and couldn't finish the level.

i started playing from scratch recently.

nutcrackr
10-17-08, 07:49 AM
It's the same story as bloodlines, great game under a mess of bugs and performance issues. 1-2 years down the track with user patches and a machine that can run it maxed without breaking a sweat and it's a good game. I enjoyed dark messiah, action was good, very dynamic environments with spells and traps. "Hey pal"

K007
10-17-08, 08:22 AM
aye i got to the spider thing awhile ago as well, and then recently i started again on my vista os, played it and finished all the game with all the endings.

It was enjoyable. I just wish the story at certain parts with the female talk wasn't so cheesy.

jolle
10-17-08, 09:05 AM
I was really dissapointed that there wasnt a expansion when I finished it, thought they had released one.
Great game, didnt have any real stability issues, but there was a "mod" feel it to.
At one time I was attacked by a Orc boss when the cutscene was still playing and couldnt fight back.
Small issues here and there, but I really liked the stealth elements as playing the theif type character setup.
Also liked the hint on the best theif armor, with the "G" embroided on it.

LordJuanlo
10-17-08, 09:09 AM
That game is great, and very underated imo

CaptNKILL
10-17-08, 09:19 AM
I beat the game and generally enjoyed it but the technical problems really killed what could have been a very solid game.

I think the sound is still screwed up in Vista x64 so I haven't tried playing it in a while.

Are there community patches for it?

nekrosoft13
10-17-08, 09:22 AM
sound is working fine with alchemy. maybe you were having problems with directsound.

only problem i have with the game is that it crashes when you exit back to windows. not a huge problem.

K007
10-17-08, 09:22 AM
not sure..i played with v1.0..what eva the disc came with, finished it without any issues...apart from the crash on exit on vista...game runs perfectly fine.

Dreamingawake
10-17-08, 09:24 AM
Definitely underrated.

I remember enjoying my pants off playing this one.

Might have to give it another go :)

CaptNKILL
10-17-08, 09:29 AM
sound is working fine with alchemy. maybe you were having problems with directsound.

only problem i have with the game is that it crashes when you exit back to windows. not a huge problem.

Hmm...

I could have sworn it was broken the last time I tried playing it with ALchemy.

I'll have to play it again whenever I get time. I'm still working on The Witcher. :headexplode:

Gaco
10-17-08, 09:39 AM
Just so many cool things happening. I remember the first time I with adrenaline pierced my sword through the stomach of a soldier, let him hang there for a second, then kicked him off my sword again. You are particularly thankful of such instant-death blows like that on hardcore difficulty. Or when I unwittingly made a genious lifesaving maneuvre when I was low on health, low on mana, and in a desperate move froze an enemy who had just climbed up to me on a ladder. He froze, slowly fell backwards, fell 10 meters and shattered into lots of tiny ice pieces. Or when I accidently kicked a barell which flew right in my enemy's face causing fall over and tumple over an edge, falling to his death. Or when I kicked a foe, making a chain reaction of three enemies pushing over eachother until the last one finally ended his days on wall spikes.

Good times... :)

(BTW CapnKill, no problems with sound here whatsoever. Using Vista64/X-Fi/Alchemy installed)

Destroy
10-17-08, 09:59 AM
Fantastic game! There is NO better sword/combat fighting game on PC than Dark Messiah (well perhaps Mount and Blade, if you can tolerate the 1998 gfx).

I don't get the kicking haters? So the game would be better by removing fighting options by taking out the kicking?

If you take the time to actually learn to sword fight in this game you find this is not a hack and slash fighting game. There are combos, finishing moves, dismember attacks, special hits and power hits.

Have no clue why this game was bashed by so many review sites. I found it a great game overall; 87/100. This game is like Halflife2 in a Mid evil/Magic world. The ability to actually use different weapon strike areas, combos, objects and attacks is fantastic in this game.

How people can say the combat got boring I'll never know. Nothing was overly complex yet the variety of weapon and 'death' options were more numerous than most any other game.

Mmmmmmm....blood...
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/248/pic2ce7.jpg

ClosetFanBoy
10-17-08, 10:20 AM
I totally enjoyed this. Enough so, I even picked it up for the 360. The voice acting may have been cheesy here and there, and there may have been a bug or two, but nothing to totally ruin the expierence for me. Be cool if they continue this series.

On a side note, Source and IdTech4 have been the best looking engines on the 360, yet only a handful used them combined. Which is a shame. I guess the dev tools must have been unfriendly console wise..

adamove
10-17-08, 10:23 AM
for me very boring game, corridor like with many scripts, the gfx its not very good, you can have fire on arrow but the fire is a 2d sprite!!!! some textures looks horrid

Half life 2 engin is limited to corridor havily scripted games

hairylarry
10-17-08, 10:39 AM
for me very boring game, corridor like with many scripts, the gfx its not very good, you can have fire on arrow but the fire is a 2d sprite!!!! some textures looks horrid

The game doesnt really look that bad, besides graphics are not always everything when it comes to a great game.

jolle
10-17-08, 10:53 AM

Was still a great game, linear as it may be. (the CoD series is an example how great heavily scripted linear games can be, every meter of the game hand tailored)
Whats wrong with using sprites for fire? everyone does, admittadly usually attached to particle systems, but its still sprites.

It looks pretty good for its time, was a while ago it came out, and some enviroments were really nice, the outdoor cliff side stuff stand out especially in my mind.
But itīs not one of those "wow" titles when it comes to graphics, nor is it a title with noteworthily BAD graphics either.

Lfctony
10-17-08, 11:28 AM
I enjoyed DM very much. I'd give it a clean 8.5, I was pleasantly surprised after all the bad reviews it received...

LT.Schaffer
10-17-08, 11:32 AM
I liked it alot.:)

Great Game.:D

adamove
10-17-08, 11:40 AM
no in oblivion 1 year game early you got particle effect for fire and it looks great, and here if you move bow you can see that fire is 2D pathetic, but that limitation of engine

i hate heavily scripted games, and this is one of thoes, its like watching boring movie not playing games

Section-9
10-17-08, 11:47 AM
The sword combat in this game is incredible, what Oblivion's combat should have been.

hairylarry
10-17-08, 12:03 PM
no in oblivion 1 year game early you got particle effect for fire and it looks great, and here if you move bow you can see that fire is 2D pathetic, but that limitation of engine

i hate heavily scripted games, and this is one of thoes, its like watching boring movie not playing games

LOL, Oblivion puts a new meaning in the word boring.

nekrosoft13
10-17-08, 12:07 PM

Oblivion is simply horrible. only good thing that game has is the world.

everything else, story there isn't really any story, just tiny bit. quest, combat. etc...

hairylarry
10-17-08, 12:13 PM
Oblivion is simply horrible. only good thing that game has is the world.

everything else, story there isn't really any story, just tiny bit. quest, combat. etc...

The games main story is extremely repetive and boring, go from one town to another to do the exact same thing over and over again freeing each town from one boring Oblivion gate to the next. Yawn.

Ninja Prime
10-17-08, 12:21 PM
I loved it and thought it was way underratted, but I also think they could have done so much more with the tech they used.