PDA

View Full Version : Changing gun sounds in CoD4

evox
10-17-08, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know how to change the gun sounds in CoD4? I can't find anything in the main folder...Do I need to use the SDK to modify the sounds? Also, will PunkBuster kick me out if I use custom sounds?

Thanks in advanced.

ClosetFanBoy
10-17-08, 02:19 PM
I tried to do something similar when ET came out, replacing ET sounds with the original RTCW sounds, didnt work. Server and client have to have matching files. There is a way to do it tho, my buddy coded up a "simple" sound hack and basically what it did was re-route the call send for sounds to stream off your hard drive from your sounds folder, tricking it in thinking it was being sent to the server. HaXz0r!

evox
10-17-08, 02:24 PM
I tried to do something similar when ET came out, replacing ET sounds with the original RTCW sounds, didnt work. Server and client have to have matching files. There is a way to do it tho, my buddy coded up a "simple" sound hack and basically what it did was re-route the call send for sounds to stream off your hard drive from your sounds folder, tricking it in thinking it was being sent to the server. HaXz0r!
It didn't affect PB?

CaptNKILL
10-17-08, 02:54 PM
I've done a lot of sound editing for games but I've never messed with Unreal Engine stuff. I tried a few times and it looked like file management was a major pain in the ass compared to other game engines. I'll admit I didn't really look into it much.

Your best bet would be to check filefront to see if anyone has any CoD4 sound packs. If they do, it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to replace their sounds with whatever ones you want to use.

ClosetFanBoy
10-17-08, 03:53 PM
It didn't affect PB?

Nope.

Basically what he did was make a pak0.pk3 file that had folders in it, one for allies, one for axis. Allies/Weapons/Sounds. It mimicked the actual pak0.pk3 folder, with the weapon sounds from RTCW renamed exactly to the way ET's were. Then his mad coding skills came into play, which is rocket science to me, but somehow, when the info is sent, it would re-route to the client PC with the custom made pk3, making it think it was the server and the file sizes matched and all that, which I think is called a client-hook? Basically a hack, undetected simply cause it's not made public.

It was pretty fun tho, I would take sounds from other games and use them in ET, was kinda hilarious. :D