PDA

View Full Version : How to verify integrity of nVidia drivers?

steve2267
10-17-08, 11:33 AM
When I download the latest Quadro FX 1500 driver for Windows XP (v178.26) and attempt to install it, it asks me where to unpack the driver, starts doing it's thing... then suddenly stops and displays the following message:

The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again. [ OK ]

A screen capture of the popup error window is attached below.

Question: HOW am I supposed to be able to verify the download's integrity? Does nVidia maintain a list of MD5 and/or SHA checksums of their driver files? I've downloaded 178.26_quadro_winxp2k_english_whql.exe at least four times on this WinXP box (brand new install, SP3 installed and a couple other M$ patches, ASUS A8N-SLI (M618) drivers installed) and gotten FOUR DIFFERENT MD5 CHECKSUMS!

I guess the question I am basically asking is: WHERE CAN I FIND MD5/SHA CHECKSUMS OF ALL NVIDIA DRIVER DOWNLOAD FILES???

(Please forgive the crosspost; I posted a similar missive at the end of the AVG detects Threat in WinXP32(177.39).exe (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120769) thread.)

steve2267
10-17-08, 10:16 PM
While I have not found an "official" let alone a good way to verify the MD5 or SHA checksums of downloaded nVidia drivers, I did want to state that I tracked my corrupted nVidia Quadro FX 1500 / WinXP driver problem to the nVidia nForce Netmanager utility / driver. After I uninstalled (Windows Start > Control Panel > Add/Uninstall Software > ) nVdidia NetManager and rebooted... I was then able to download drivers from nVdidia website and other zipped files etc. from other websites without corruption.

Moral of the story: DO NOT INSTALL the nVidia Netmanager software. (I vaguely recall this, but at the time thought it had to do with NOT running the nVidia firewall, which I had installed, but set to NOT run. FWIW.)

steve2267
10-17-08, 10:18 PM
I forgot to mention, while certainly NOT official, the "best" way I have come up with to check integrity of nVidia drivers is to check the forums. In particular, this one (www.nvnews.net/vbulletin), as well as forums.nvidia.com (not so much it seems), but in particular the forums at forums.guru3d.com AND laptopvideo2go.com. HTH.

steve2267
10-17-08, 10:43 PM
Summary:
The problem turned out to be nVidia!

The nVidia Netmanager app/utility/driver, that is...

Details:
I tracked my corrupted nVidia Quadro FX 1500 / WinXP Pro (32bit) driver problem to the nVidia nForce Netmanager utility / driver. After I uninstalled (Windows Start > Control Panel > Add/Uninstall Software > ) nVdidia NetManager and rebooted... I was then able to download drivers from nVdidia website and other zipped files etc. from other websites without corruption.

Moral of the story: DO NOT INSTALL the nVidia Netmanager software. (I vaguely recall this, but at the time thought it had to do with NOT running the nVidia firewall, which I had installed, but set to NOT run. FWIW.)

Additional notes:
Fresh install of WinXP (32bit) version 2002 (Service Pack 1). After uninstalling nVidia Netmanager... I was able to download uncorrupted binaries (drivers, zip files etc.) HOWEVER, Quadro (GeForce ?) 178.26 would NOT install. Oh, it seemed to install... but AFTER rebooting... I was stuck in a VGA (640x480) < 256 color MESS! The solution turned out to be to apply Windows XP Service Pack 3. (I do not know if SP2 would have fixed the issue, as I jumped straight to SP3 after a fresh WinXP (Version 2002 / SP 1) install.)

So... moral of that story seems to be that 178.26 requires (probably at least SP2 if not) SP3.

Razor3DC
10-18-08, 02:44 AM
The files uploaded by nvidia are corrupted.
Nothing less and nothing more.

They should upload the files again and everythig would be OK.

Razor

Cyb3r
10-29-08, 05:00 PM
Guys please do not install the nvidia firewall (i had loads of problems with it and so did others)

Every download after a couple of hours with the firewall installed (not even up and running) will get corrupted (tried on different pc's)...

Use Nfr (nasty file remover) and crapcleaner to fix the registry and get rid of anything left after the uninstall of the nvidia firewall (i suggest you delete all the nvidia drivers and reinstall them (NFR doesn't allways say which dll does what mind you...)

Greetings Cyb3r