PDA

View Full Version : so im a bit confused

breathemetal
10-17-08, 11:39 AM
im a bit behind on all the **** thats about to hit the fan. so help clear up some things here for me please.

i7 is the new intels coming out?
the new top mobo chipset is x58?
nvidia wont give intel the sli license for their new boards?
intel chipsets are the most stable as of right now?
ddr3 is becoming standard?

Lfctony
10-17-08, 11:42 AM
SLI is standard on x58s. You get 2 16x slots or variations (2x16x max), and you have x58 boards with an SLI chip that give 3 16x slots...

Tym
10-17-08, 12:02 PM
Yes, i7 is the new CPU (Nehalem), and the new Intel chipset for it is the X58.

Regarding SLI, it will be supported on X58 boards natively (no nForce add-on chip, thankfully) subject to some restrictions. According to what I've read, mobo manufacturers will be required to pay a license fee to nV (so we can expect a price premium), and obtain certification for selected MB models (with a board-specific BIOS key to activate SLI support). 3-way and 4-way SLI is going to be possible as well. Of course, CrossfireX support will be there, too.

Regarding stability, I can't comment on nForce 7 series, but after two faulty 680i boards, I've been using Intel chipsets (P965, now X38) without any issues whatsoever. SLI just wasn't worth the hassle... And now Intel's going to have SLI as well, so I can't see a single reason to go nVidia.

And yes, no option for DDR2 with i7, so they're going to be pushing DDR3. I hope this will help get the prices down.

Interestingly, there's a picture of a new Asus board (http://www.xfastest.com/redirect.php?tid=14549&goto=newpost, 5th photo from the top) showing that overclockers' modules might be an issue with the new integrated memory controller.

breathemetal
10-17-08, 12:41 PM
id like to build a new rig around march
will all the new stuff be out by then?

nekrosoft13
10-17-08, 12:58 PM
Regarding stability, I can't comment on nForce 7 series, but after two faulty 680i boards, I've been using Intel chipsets (P965, now X38) without any issues whatsoever. SLI just wasn't worth the hassle... And now Intel's going to have SLI as well, so I can't see a single reason to go nVidia.

i understand that a faulty product can leave bad feelinds about certain product. I had faulty Intel based boards in the past. so far out of all nvidia boards that I have (nforce4ultra, nforce4sli, nforce 680i and nforce8200) none of them caused me any issues.

XDanger
10-17-08, 12:58 PM
ps2 still supported ,thats good.