PDA

View Full Version : Call of duty World at War PC MP beta info - no not released yet

rudedog
10-18-08, 06:18 AM
From Treyarch's community manager with some interesting information regarding new features:
Hi everyone,

We're rapidly approaching the PC BETA, and as such I wanted to lay out a few key features to the PC version of CoD:WW, and what ramifications it will have on the PC BETA.

First, the entire key authentication / master server paradigm is changing for the first time in a Call of Duty PC title. In CoD:WW, you will be authenticating in-game against a more global master server. This server will keep track of and maintain unique Profile names (like a screenname) which will be tied to your CD Key. So while username / passwords will not be required to play our game, you will have globally unique profile names.

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC. So we have built-in Friends functionality. You can add friends, filter your servers by Friends (see which servers your friends are playing in), join their servers, etc. You can also invite any online friends to come join you in your current game. We didn't want the new Squad mechanics we've developed to get watered down on the PC, which is ultimately why we decided to bring you Friends & Invites, and thus globally unique profile names.

Now we understand that clan tags can change frequently, and it would be obnoxious and not very user friendly to keep changing your profile name. So we've added in clan tag prefixes, which will show up in-game. This should allow you to take full advantage of our Friends & Invites features, and still be able to make yourself more uniquely identifiable in-game.

So what does this have to do with the BETA?

You will be required to enter a CD Key for the BETA, much like you will when you get the full game this November. These PC keys will be available to all registered users of CallOfDuty.com, including any new users who sign up after the PC BETA releases. These keys aren't intended to limit the BETA to a certain number of players; they are here to allow you to create these unique profile names for our Friends and Invites features.

How will BETA servers work?

The PC BETA will pretty much be a limited MP distribution of our game. So you will be able to host your own servers, and GSP's will be able to sell BETA servers and put up as many dedicated servers as they'd like. All of this will function as if it were a regular Multiplayer game. It's important to note, that for the BETA, the dedicated server will be Windows only.

Will our XP / accounts / friends transfer over from the BETA?

No, all accounts will be deleted after the BETA, just like on the Xbox 360.

More specifics on when the BETA will be released, how it will be released, and where you'll be receiving your keys will be made available in my next update. Rest assured, we want to get you this BETA just as badly as you want to play it, so your patience is appreciated.

Regards,
-JD

ATOJAR
10-18-08, 08:34 AM
Sounds good, so i wonder if we will have to apply for the beta key or will us that have registered at callofduty.com be automatically e-mailed the beta keys i wonder?

rudedog
10-18-08, 08:45 AM
should be an automatic email once they go live, as long as there are no hiccups in the system.

nutcrackr
10-18-08, 08:48 AM
Are they storing stats locally or on the server side? local storage was stupid for cod 4.

ATOJAR
10-18-08, 09:42 AM
Are they storing stats locally or on the server side? local storage was stupid for cod 4.

Yip very stupid! .... i recently lost my high ranking class/character(lvl 50)when i tried to join a custom server i got a weird error message, next thing i know all my player stats are gone! .... im back to a fresh start, no perks, unlocks, weapons .... nothing! :(

From now on im gonna back up stats every so often.

rudedog
10-18-08, 12:41 PM
Will our XP / accounts / friends transfer over from the BETA?

No, all accounts will be deleted after the BETA, just like on the Xbox 360.

I would assume they will be server side (I think they learned their lesson this time around)

prospect101
10-18-08, 01:49 PM
N4G.com is reporting that PC beta keys were supposed to be handed out October 17, 2008. They are obviously wrong.

http://www.n4g.com/pc/News-217174.aspx

Is there any chance of the PC beta being released today?

Please don't be a tease! :captnkill:

rudedog
10-18-08, 02:40 PM
Nope, just talked to Activision about something else and today is not the day. All I'm told it's close but hell the game is released in about 3 weeks and they promised before Nov 11th.....

If I hear anything I'll post it at my site and here.

I will say this. I will be away Wed. - Sunday of next week so more then likely that is when they will release it :( CoD4, MOH:A, BF2, BF2142 all where released (demo or game) when I was away on business.......

prospect101
10-18-08, 03:58 PM
Bah, such is the luck of us FPS gamers! I am about to follow the "Cartmam Idoiology" and freeze myself until the games arrival!

Thanks for the response Rude.

evox
10-18-08, 04:54 PM
What is the point of releasing a BETA <3 weeks before launch? why not just release a demo or not release anything? This is dumb. :headexplode:

Cheers for the info, though. :)

Fuku2
10-18-08, 05:03 PM
What is the point of releasing a BETA <3 weeks before launch? why not just release a demo or not release anything? This is dumb. :headexplode:

Cheers for the info, though. :)

I would guess so they can get the patch ready.

evox
10-18-08, 05:07 PM
I would guess so they can get the patch ready.
Yeah, but 3 weeks isn't a whole lotta time. It would've been better if the BETA was out in Mid/late September. But I guess they just want to pump people up for their upcoming title.

Fuku2
10-18-08, 05:15 PM
Oh I didn't mean patch on release. Probably a tight schedule and they want to see the money now.

prospect101
10-20-08, 11:46 AM
C'mon already Treyarch.

Most everybody loves the call of duty series - me especially. Damn near every time a new CoD comes out, I end up buying or upgrading my PC (even if it does not require it) just so I can experience the full games potential.

But...I must say, releasing the beta for a $200 dollar console and hanging the PC'ers out to dry is totally unfair - yeah, I said it, unfair (I don't care if the majority of players are console based - or if you have some cool new server features for PC'ers). So now some 10 year old is out there running around on xbox live playing a game that I have been hyped to play for many months. I love you guys, but just the thought of that makes me mad.

If it weren't for the PC'ers the CoD title would NEVER be the mammoth moneymaker that it is today.

Note to CoD developers/marketers: DO NOT RELEASE A CONSOLE BETA FOR A GAME THAT SINCE ITS INCEPTION HAS BEEN A PC BASED FPS. YOU CREATE ANGRY ANXIETY FROM YOUR REAL FANS WHO HAVE BEEN WITH YOU SINCE THE BEGINNING.

Also, here is a helpful tidbit. The CoD:WW release date for Xbox 360 is Nov, 11th. Four days earlier your BETA will start competing against one of the most highly anticipated Xbox 360 games since halo3/GTA4....Gears of war 2.....Uh oh. Where are all your dedicated xbox fans gonna be once Gears2 comes out and people start dropping the xbox 360 CoD:WW beta for it? Bad timing Treyarch....bad timing.

In all actuality you are encouraging loyal CoD PC fans to buy and play on the xbox 360 just because they are so excited to play COD:WW (even if it is only the beta) and thus giving them a chance to play other console based games. You have taken the exclusivity usually reserved for people who pay thousands of dollars to have PC's that can play your game and handed it over to generic Xbox 360 players.

Again if I was not clear, the final result of this is that you are encouraging PC'ers to buy the 360 - and even thou that may help xbox sales this quarter, your kinda shooting yourself in the foot with pointing them towards another highly anticipated (more anticipated than any CoD game ever was) action/shooting game that comes out 4 days earlier! Not smart.

If you release a beta for Xbox 360 you should also be releasing the beta for PC AT THE SAME TIME. I paid the same price all those Xbox'ers did for their pre-order, tell me again why they deserve to play it first?

I do not intend to offend any of the programmers/designers/planners/writers of the CoD:WW realm. Tell those who run your marketing department not to be so ignorant in assuming that xbox 360 players deserve a BETA first. I assure you, CoD:WW, will lose ground to Gears of war 2 soon after its release. It will be the PC'ers that will keep your CoD:WW alive for the next year or so - remember that next time you want to give xbox an exclusive release.