PDA

View Full Version : Golden Axe Beast Rider

LurkerLito
10-19-08, 01:30 AM
Well I got the game from GameFly and I am actually surprised. It is a good game. It's not the best game ever made but it is a lot of fun. It feels a bit like Heavenly Sword but not as good graphically. The combat system is much better than I was expecting though the camera can occasionally be a bit problematic like Ninja Gaiden 2. The game is very linear though so don't expect any real kind of exploring. It's just a go down the path, find a way through the gate by going down these few short other paths to unlock the gate. There seems to be at least a good amount of replay value. Challenge modes lets you go through the levels again and try to gain more loot, and a Trial mode that lets you do a survival type game where enemies start coming at you in waves till you die. I am playing the PS3 version and there was NO install and the game loads pretty fast also. Though I still do wish they had the option to install it on the HD to speed up the load times even more. The only one major overlooked thing in the game (IMO) is that the buttons are not customizable. It is only via 6 preset controller profiles and the setup I'd prefer is not available.

I personally can't believe IGN gave the game a 3.2/10. That is just so wrong, it is nowhere near that bad. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I am even thinking I might keep it cause of the trial modes are fun and I like the combat system. I'd definitely recommend renting it for sure especially if you like hack and slash like games.

Lfctony
10-19-08, 02:59 AM
Well, if IGN gave it a 3.2, ITS A 3.2! We all know that review sites would never give games an unfair score, never...

Seriously now, the review scores variations these days are getting ridiculous. Two different sites rewarding the same game a 3 and and a 7... Reviewers are just plain stupid nowadays. Instead of reviewing the game for what it actually is and the fun it offers they just rant and whine and give rather decent games pathetic scores.

Never again for me. I'll always buy my games from personal experience, not on hype and certainly not from dumb reviews...

NarcissistZero
10-19-08, 08:38 AM
IGN have given out a lot of really low scores lately... I think they're trying to look edgy, or perhaps trying to set a higher standard now that the Fall is upon us, and all the AAA titles that brings.

I never look at review scores, personally... I read the review, understand where he is coming from, then decide based on that. I remember Quake 4 getting all these low scores, but I read the reviews and they all made the game sound awesome for my taste, only complaining about the game being too "old fashioned" for an FPS, which was a GOOD thing for me. Sure enough I loved the game.

As for Golden Axe: Beast Rider, it sounds like another average hack n' slash akin to Conan... and I enjoyed Conan. I bought Conan for $20 though, which is likely what I will do here. This game does not seem to have the high production values of God of War, or the cinematic presentation of Heavenly Sword, which made those games worth full price.

Perverted side question: what's the nudity in the game? I'm always interested in how developers are pushing boundries.

LurkerLito
10-19-08, 10:50 AM
Well so far the only nudity is at the beginning. There are a bunch of corpses that are topless and really it's not a big deal. And the intro cinematic to that section shows the "ceremony" the village was starting where there might have been a flash of a breast. The nudity is not out of place given the context of a village made up only of women.

|MaguS|
10-19-08, 10:53 AM
I loved Conan and even Untold Legends so I might look into picking this up used or on Ebay for under retail.

NaitoSan
10-20-08, 08:35 PM
Played a bit and thought it was a pure crap. IGN isn't only site that gives it low scores.

Severian126
10-21-08, 01:15 PM
The game looked pretty bad and was uninteresting from the vids I saw. I'm not surprised by the review score. Level 5 made it, but Sega has always been bad for the last decade or so in making sure their franchises are done right. I wonder if the people at Sega even knows what they are doing half the time.

LurkerLito
10-25-08, 03:43 PM
I finished the game on normal mode yesterday and I still think it is a good game. It's a more replayable game than Heavenly Sword. It's a solid 7/10 in my book. It took about 10 hours to complete. The story was OK, it looks like it's the first prequel that leads to the Golden Axe game (did that have a story?). IIRC Golden Axe you got to pick the Barbarian, the Amazon or a Dwarf to play. This game is only about the Amazon woman character. You can't play the other two but both are in the game cut sequences.

The combat system is where the game shines. It's not a hard system, 2 buttons (lite and heavy) or both at the same time for kick. A block, evade, jump, magic and mount/dismount beast button. If you go about the game like the original Golden Axe game where one hit = one kill, you will hate the game. The characters are very tough like in Ninja Gaiden 2. You won't be able to beat most of them with 2-3 hits with the sword unless you master the counter attack moves. Counters are done by pressing either the evade button or block button and then pressing an attack button after evade or block has been done. The tricky part of it is that most attackers with begin with either a blue or orange attack that means only a block or evade (respectively) will work on that attack. If you block an orange (evade) attack, you will be slight stunned and you will most likely get hit by the next move the enemy throws at you. Now couple this with the fact that they have a tendency to gang up on you in groups makes it a very difficult game cause you often get only 1 counter strike then must immediately do another evade or block counter.

Now where the game loses points and adds to frustration is where all games of this type have issues and that is the camera. It is a Ninja Gaiden type camera system so the 2nd analog stick controls it, but it likes to stay above the shoulder of your character when possible. So you often get into situations where you won't be able to see some of the enemies start their attacks. That is not a major issue in a game like Ninja Gaiden where just pressing block almost guarantees that you won't get hurt, but in the Golden Axe combat system, picking the block or evade button incorrectly will cause a guaranteed hit on that move or the following. In a couple of areas there are places where if an enemy throws you you fall off an edge and immediately die which is something that shouldn't really happen in this type of a game.

Magic is not really necessary in the game, but there are one or two enemies that you will want to use it on because getting up close and personal with them is difficult. But overall I rarely used it.

The beasts in the game are very powerful and will help you trim down the numbers of enemies you will face. The only complaint about them I have is that some moves require the beast to use some of it's hit points to do, so if you use these powerful moves you will drain the beast's HP till the next hit from an enemy will kill it. That seems like a fair trade off but the problem is it only applies to you when you are riding the beast. If an enemy uses the same beast they can keep using the moves as much as they want and the beast's HP doesn't seem to be affected.

The game is setup in multi level stages, about 5 stages each with about 5 levels or sections. As you go along you can find dragon statues in some places. The statues allow you to continue from right where you died in the level but you can only hold a max of 5 statues at a time. Otherwise without them you have to start from the beginning of each level again.

Even with those issues I'd still recommend giving the game a try. I have a feeling the reviewers who gave this game such low scores were thinking it was one of those hack and slash games where one swing of the sword would wipe out any who were in it's path but that is far from how this game is played.

EciDemon
10-27-08, 04:56 AM
Im heading out to get dead space today, I think ill be getting this game too if the store has it in stock :)

I love the conan came so im gonna give this game a chance.

EDIT: How's the music in this game btw?
Is it anything like the old golden axe games?

LurkerLito
10-27-08, 08:22 AM
The music is ok nothing really epic but it seems to fit the mood. Other than some of the beasts and those annoying Gnomes that are harder to hit in 3d than 2d. I don't really remember what other similarities there are. While I still like the game, I don't think it's worth full price, I'd recommend getting it used I'd say $40 new is fair, but $60 I think is too much.

EciDemon
10-28-08, 03:40 AM
Conan is a better game so far I think but Im not far into the game yet.
Music thus far has been generic, a big let down I think. And no matter what I do, i always get a "C" ranking >_<

LurkerLito
10-28-08, 09:47 AM
Yeah the C rating I can't get past that either. I have tried a few times in challenge mode but I just can't figure out how to raise it higher. I think you need to be able to do a bunch of chain brutal strikes but I never can get them right. I can't really compare Conan as I only played the demo and I thought it was good to, but I never got around to renting it.

EciDemon
10-29-08, 04:16 AM
If you like this game then you're gonna love Conan for sure.
There you have many combos and they differ depending on fighting style (1handed 2handed and dual wield, you also have sword/shield combo) And you unlock more combos as you progress. the counter system also feels much more natural then in Beast Rider. The only downer with Conan is some bosses can be very frustrating.
Music is better too.

The game engine feels very simalar in both these games but since you can not upgrade any combos or life/magic in Beast Rider i think the game falls a bit short. Counter system is powerfull but it's a bit clumsy. I do like the fact that you can cansel any thing you do with a counter.

Also for a fast paced game I find my self stuck from time to time with no idea what to do next, Im in some desert now and Im suposed to open this huge skull door but I can only find the one of the two switches Im suposed to stand on.

LurkerLito
10-29-08, 09:31 AM
I'll definitely give Conan a try one day I just don't have the free time with all the games coming out.

In that area, there is another path you can go down but I think you might need a beast to get to it. I guess they didn't put a map screen cause the levels are really simple. IIRC there are only like 4 paths on the map, one is where you came from, one is the big door and the other 2 are the paths leading to the platforms you need to press to open the big door. If you look around you'll find it.

EciDemon
10-29-08, 09:39 AM
I must have missed that second patch, i found the huge door and such. Ill have to give it a closer look tonight.
EDIT:
LurkerLito> You manage to beat the game yet?

tijean
10-30-08, 06:54 PM
This game is 100% crap...Worst game I ever play on my pS3.... For once. BELIEVE IGN because they're right !!

Well another agree with IGN

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2430

EciDemon
11-03-08, 05:22 AM
I don't think it's _that_ bad as they say in the reviews, but it's still a pretty bad attempt to a golden axe game.
Game gets more and more frustrating the further you get in it since you can't power up your melee or health. Any GoW like game should have those basic elements.

firehawk
11-03-08, 10:43 AM
single player......

the whole fun of the originals was teaming up how the **** did they manage to screw that best part of the series up