PDA

View Full Version : Head of PC Gaming Alliance Blasts Lucasarts

NarcissistZero
10-19-08, 11:27 AM
Check it: http://kotaku.com/5065595/pc-gaming-alliance-sith-saber-slashes-lucasarts

"In the last several years there have been at least 100 million PCs sold that have the capabilities or better of an Xbox 360. It's ridiculous to say that there's not enough audience for that game potentially and that it falls into this enthusiast extreme category when ported over to the PC. That's an uneducated response."

"I think you probably got plenty of feedback and opinions from your readers and my personal opinion is if they're making games for the Wii, Xbox and PS3 they're scaling their experience to meet all three of those platforms. They're good on the Wii, better on the Xbox 360 and the best on the PS3. There's no argument that they could give not to be able to support good better and best on the PC."

"LucasArts hasn't made a good PC game in a long time," he said. "That's my opinion. They make some pretty good games for the Wii, you know those little sticks you wave in the air, that seems like a natural fit for a lightsaber game, sure. But I think the last good PC game they made was probably Jedi Knight 2, and even their strategy games weren't that great. So I can understand why they would make that call."

"They're not really creating product within LucasArts themselves. They're going at it job shopping their IP. That may be a little controversial for me to say, but that's what I see. There's no development team necessarily within LucasArts any more, they've basically turned into an intellectual property machine and supporting the PC, why should they? It really doesn't fit their property.

DAMN... we need more honesty like this in all aspects of this business.

Though I must say, having played and completed the game, it is VERY console in feel and gameplay style, and it most likely wouldn't have been praised by the PC gaming community if it had been released.

evox
10-19-08, 11:41 AM
lol, finally something good coming out of PGA. They should blast all developers like this. It really won't do anything, but hell, it's fun to read. :p

methimpikehoses
10-19-08, 11:56 AM
:clap2:

Retrolock
10-19-08, 11:56 AM
Kotaku really has migraine inducing colors

Section-9
10-19-08, 12:18 PM
...and well the truth hurts. :)

six_storm
10-19-08, 02:01 PM
Wow, that's pretty harsh but it's the truth. I've never been a fan of Star Wars so I could care less whether or not a Star Wars game comes out for the PC.

But I do agree that most game devs are cheating PC gamers out by making console only versions of games or making terrible PC ports.

Quarter
10-19-08, 03:15 PM
Never cared for Lucasarts' games to begin with.

raystorm
10-19-08, 04:22 PM
Last good Star Wars game was Jedi Academy and that wasn't Lucasarts anyways (Raven right?). Lucasarts hasn't done **** in a long time and all they do now is w hore out the stale Star Wars IP.

nekrosoft13
10-19-08, 06:11 PM
wow, finally someone has grown some balls

K007
10-20-08, 02:59 AM
i used to like lucasarts back the days of monkey island/indy jones...and fullthrottle...

LordJuanlo
10-20-08, 03:07 AM
Teh truth has been spoken, very well said, hats off to the PCGA

my personal opinion is if they're making games for the Wii, Xbox and PS3 they're scaling their experience to meet all three of those platforms. They're good on the Wii, better on the Xbox 360 and the best on the PS3

I highly disagree with this, PS3 version are 99% of the time inferior to the 360 version

Sgt_Pitt
10-20-08, 08:50 AM
Well said..

Someone needs to slap George Lucas, or the knobs running his company :P

Then again they could release a turd with the starwars name on it, and the frenzied masses would buy it.

nekrosoft13
10-20-08, 09:43 AM
Teh truth has been spoken, very well said, hats off to the PCGA

I highly disagree with this, PS3 version are 99% of the time inferior to the 360 version

true, but that is because 360 is base of design. so PS3 versions suffer then.

Monolyth
10-20-08, 09:52 AM
I totally agree with this, and TBH the Jedi Knights post-JK2 were kind of stale. Also I dislike their complete abandonment of their Tie/X-Wing space combat series. I played every single mission in Tie Fighter and ALL the expansions multiple times over, that game was the shizzle. And of course all of these were PC-only.

I will say that the KOTOR series has done quite well on PC and I enjoyed both of them, good storylines too, it's nice to have an SW saga that doesn't involve Vader at all sometimes.

jlippo
10-20-08, 12:36 PM
The incredible thing is that outside of adventure games Lucasarts really didn't do many good games.

X-Wing and Tie Fighter was made by Totally Games.
DarkForces 1&2 were made by Lucasarts, after that it was passed on to Raven Software. (Which IMHO lowered the quality of the series.)
KOTOR1 was of course by Bioware.

Severian126
10-20-08, 01:12 PM
I stopped caring about LucasArts after they stopped making the Monkey Island series. I love that series.

npras42
10-20-08, 01:55 PM
Grim Fandango was the last great game that LucasArts made. They made a couple of decent games since then but nothing special.

NarcissistZero
10-21-08, 02:17 AM

This is rarely true anymore... Dead Space, Star Wars TFU and several others recently have been better on PS3. The reason 460 versions were better before was because the games were being made for 360, then shoved onto PS3. This is less the case now, and this ports are less crappy.

PS3 exclusives show the true power of the machine... Uncharted looks better than anything on 360, easily.