PDA

View Full Version : 360 saves backup

Pages : [1] 2

HiCZoK4
10-19-08, 02:02 PM
I wanted to format 360hdd but want to keep my savegames.
Can I backup those for pendrive or anything ?!

NarcissistZero
10-19-08, 02:40 PM
The PS3 offers backups for both game saves and downloaded items to anything with a USB connection, but I think the 360 only allows backups to their memory cards, which aren't large enough to hold anything more than your saves and a few smaller titles.

LurkerLito
10-19-08, 04:11 PM
There is one other method you can use and that is one of those xbox 360 HDD to USB adapters. Or you can take apart the 360 HDD and put it in a SATA to USB adapter and copy the data that way.

kev13dd
10-20-08, 02:53 AM
Why not just go through an manually delete things like demos and videos, and don't delete the saves? Why the format?

K

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 03:08 AM
Why not just go through an manually delete things like demos and videos, and don't delete the saves? Why the format?

K
Dunno really. I am used to do format sometimes on my pc. Format removes also all "hidden" siles from the hdd.
I wanted to check if I will gain any more free space. becouse max I was able to make with clear 20gb360hdd was 13gb :headexplode:
Where did 7gb gone ?
gues I will have to get memory card 64mo

kev13dd
10-20-08, 03:35 AM
Dunno really. I am used to do format sometimes on my pc. Format removes also all "hidden" siles from the hdd.
I wanted to check if I will gain any more free space. becouse max I was able to make with clear 20gb360hdd was 13gb :headexplode:
Where did 7gb gone ?
gues I will have to get memory card 64mo
My 20GB only has 13, my 60GB only had 51, and my 120GB only has 107GB. It's nothing any formatting will fix

You lose a few gigs to simply how GB are calculated, you lose a few to emulation software, to caching space, and whatever else Microsoft needs space for outside of their OS (which currently resides outside of the HD). Formatting will clear off the stuff you put on, but will never clear the stuff Microsoft is bogging down your HD with

But look on the bright side. Once the new OS comes out, it will be on the HD. Which means you'll have even less space!

K

npras42
10-20-08, 05:24 AM
The space you are not seeing is the hidden partition on the HDD where the Backwards Compatibility stuff is kept. It is nearly 7GB big. Formatting won't help I'm afraid.

kev13dd
10-20-08, 05:29 AM
The space you are not seeing is the hidden partition on the HDD where the Backwards Compatibility stuff is kept. It is nearly 7GB big. Formatting won't help I'm afraid.
If it actually is all backwards compat stuff (which I assume there are a few others things too) I wish they'd let you decide if you wanted it or not. I haven't played a single backwards compatible game on my Xbox 360, and am almost certain I never will. Would be nice to use that space to install an actual X360 game to

K

npras42
10-20-08, 06:25 AM
If it actually is all backwards compat stuff (which I assume there are a few others things too) I wish they'd let you decide if you wanted it or not. I haven't played a single backwards compatible game on my Xbox 360, and am almost certain I never will. Would be nice to use that space to install an actual X360 game to

K

I don't think there is anything else in that space at all. As I said in another thread, I don't have that partition since I did a hack job to get a cheap 120GB HDD, so I see the whole drive for a start and I don't have BC, but there have been no other side-effects. Everything else, including Media Center works fine.

EDIT: BTW if you really don't want BC and you're happy to open up your HDD case, then you can easily delete the partition as well. You just need to connect the drive to your PC via SATA and run a program in DOS - directions and the tool are commonly found on 360 hack websites. Not really very difficult at all.

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 10:13 AM
So You are saying that I can safely delete that additional partition and format hdd then ?
I wnot use BC never.

Will I still be able to download patches and upgrades ? and cache etc ? What about performance ?

I would like to have 19gb instead of 13 becouse of upcoming nxe update which allows games instalation

npras42
10-20-08, 10:31 AM
I've been able to do everything as normal. I can download all the updates, I play online occassionally (had a Gold membership for over a year), I've bought games from Arcade that work fine. Everything works except for backwards compatibility.

I don't think there are any performance advantages or disadvantages. You'll be able to get the full 20GB as you say. I think you will probably have to format the whole drive though, so you won't be able to save data on the partition. Do you not know anyone with an Arcade system you could borrow a memory card off?

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 10:35 AM
Hmmm so games should still be caching ??? Nothing will not load slower ?

npras42
10-20-08, 10:39 AM
Why should it? The cache is on the main partition... The same area you keep your downloads and stuff. I've not noticed any problem anyway.

Besides, as you've said once the NXE is released we can hope the cache is a thing of the past anyway.

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 11:55 AM
So how do I do it ?

npras42
10-20-08, 12:04 PM
Nice 12 page thread for you.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=585963

Honestly, I think I did this well over a year ago and haven't changed or messed with it in anyway since, so I don't remember it all that well. But this was the thread I read to get the information and the tool.

For you it should be very simple because you don't need to transfer any firmware files of boot sectors. Its justa simple case of copying the files from the drive to your PC formatting the drive and then copying them back again minus the BC stuff.

Forget what I said about losing your data, I forgot about the fact you can use the tool to copy the info to your PC drive.

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 01:02 PM
Thx will start reading in a moment :p
edit. I got something wrong. I dont want to use other hdd. Just want to input20gb 360hdd to pc. COpy savegames, format (also delete bc) restore saves and enjoy 7 free gb :P

npras42
10-20-08, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you should be able to do that...

HiCZoK4
10-20-08, 02:06 PM
Yeah, you should be able to do that...

yeah,,,, i known. I always ask so many noob question which anserws I really known. Its just I dont have second sata cable yet So I am just bumping :P:D:headexplode:

npras42
10-20-08, 04:24 PM
lol. I have about 10.

I'm just sayin'. :D

Reynaldo
10-22-08, 05:10 PM
So, how exactly do I do this, I got the HDD connected to my PC, in Xplorer360 I can see 3 partitions, do I just delete the files in the 2nd one, those are supposed to be the BC files right? Or do I have to do anything else to get that space free?

npras42
10-22-08, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't just delete the files. The best thing to do would be to manuall y move the files to your PC HDD, delete all the partitions and then put a new partition back. This will then use all the space. After this move back all the files except the ones from the BC part.

I JUST WANT TO MAKE CLEAR: You aren't moving the partitions back and forth. That would be pointless. You are moving the files within that partition.

Also, if you **** it up, its not my fault. I've not done this for a long time and barely remember the process. You really need to just read one of the tutorials on the net and figure it out that way.

Reynaldo
10-22-08, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I quick googled it but didn't come up with anything yet. I'll keep looking tough, don't want to screw up my HDD. At least I have until Nov. 19 to do it :)

npras42
10-23-08, 06:08 AM
Go to that forums I linked above, register and ask them!

Reynaldo
10-25-08, 12:16 PM
Registered and asked, however this is what I got:
The console's firmware still expects the partition to be there and won't address the space.
So I'm stuck :(

npras42
10-25-08, 12:32 PM
Erm that's not true. I have no BC partition present and the entire space is available on my drive...