PDA

View Full Version : COD4 - iw3sp?

DJMONDY
10-20-08, 07:54 AM
Hi, when im playing cod4 it crashes randomly saying "iw3sp.exe has stopped working" :(

Any ideas whats causing this?

I have a legit copy of the game running under vista64bit and my pc meets all requirements to play them game.

Thanks for any replies

Dai

evox
10-20-08, 09:38 AM
Are you using a no-DVD crack? Bad or incompatible ones can cause such messages.

DJMONDY
10-20-08, 09:48 AM
No not using anything like that.

Theres a similar file iw3mp.exe, which i assume is for the multiplayer side of things but no issues with that.

DaveChambers
10-20-08, 10:03 AM
Try a reinstall

DJMONDY
10-20-08, 10:31 AM
Thats the first thing i did, and nothing :thumbdwn:

nekrosoft13
10-20-08, 10:46 AM
crash could be caused by many diffrent things, it is hard to say what excactly could cause it.

1) bad crack if you are pirate or lazy to put the cd in drive
2) something wrong with OS
3) driver issue (video/sound) maybe even other driver
4) bad/corrupt/old Visual Studio C+ redist

evox
10-20-08, 10:57 AM
If reinstall doesn't work, then there's a third party app screwing stuff for you. Try deleting your profile and see if that works. I remember my Crysis profile was corrupted and it would crash with the very same error message.

evox
10-20-08, 11:04 AM
Oh and as Nekro suggested, try updating Visual C++.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

mailman2
10-20-08, 11:19 AM
memory error, too much overclocking... its endless...

DJMONDY
10-20-08, 12:00 PM
I have read somewhere it might be a sound issue, worth a look in i think.

Theres no crack or pirating going on here, its a fully legit game. no overclocking or anything like that.

Ill try updating some drivers see if it helps. maybe updating the game will fix it.

Phyre
10-20-08, 12:49 PM
I've had this issue with the multiplayer .exe for awhile. The only thing that I've seen that causes it has been the transition to the 17x nVidia drivers. I believe that last and "latest" version that worked well was the 169.25 the drivers. All of these have been related to the nVidia driver according to the problems as listed in Vista 32. This is with SLI 8800 GTX's as well which throws a whole other ball of wax into the problem.

I currently have update my nforce drivers and am using the 178.24 drivers. The problem isn't as bad, but I have had crashes. These are different though. There is no crash to desktop. The game just locks up and has to be powered down via the power button.

I've reinstalled the game and am using my previous profile. I guess the next thing to do would be to try a different profile and see if I can update Visual C++.

ATOJAR
10-20-08, 01:43 PM
I get this issue mostly when playing in our custom server & have to download a new map, the map downloads fine and i join the game fine only a few seconds later im kicked and get the error message "iw3sp.exe has stopped responding and had to close" or something along those lines, however if i start the game back up and join the same game/map its fine, if i already have the map i also don't get any crash iw3sp.exe error.

I used to get the "iw3sp.exe has stopped responding" message when playing stock maps at first also once in a while but i haven't had that for a while now, i have the 178.24 drivers the latest version of direct X & Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) installed.

Never really play in our custom server though im always in our stock map server so i dont really get this issue!

nekrosoft13
10-20-08, 03:23 PM
Oh and as Nekro suggested, try updating Visual C++.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

can't believe windows updates doesn't mention updates to visual C++ redist, considering how many programs need that thing to run correctly.

bob saget
10-20-08, 07:20 PM
could be the punkbuster, surprised no one mentioned it.

i would update/reinstall their program (that auto-checks punkbuster) numerous times. each time restart the computer and see if it helps. I had many many problems with punkbuster in both quake wars AND cod4.

bob saget
10-20-08, 07:21 PM
can't believe windows updates doesn't mention updates to visual C++ redist, considering how many programs need that thing to run correctly.

yep, i couldnt get bioshock to run with out it. I think that since he is able to get into the game, but is just getting kicked, its not a driver issue...

DJMONDY
10-23-08, 04:25 AM
Looks like the latest patch has fixed my issue with it crashing all the time.

Thanks for all replys:)