PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR 3/4/5 = KOTOR: The Old Republic (MMO)

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 04:27 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/joystiq-live-from-lucasarts-bioware-press-conference/

No singleplayer KOTORs anymore. :(

Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk are at the podium. Greg's joking around about ideas for Howard the Duck and THX-1138 MMOs. The Old Republic is being developed by BioWare Austin, and is what he calls a "story-driven MMO." So, why haven't they made KOTOR 3? Internally, they team jokes that The Old Republic is KOTOR 3/4/5 and beyond!

blizzle
10-21-08, 04:37 PM
Fail.

I was really hoping for a single player sequel. :(

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 04:37 PM
Well they might be saying this now...

James Ohlen, creative director of BioWare Austin is now at the podium. He was the director and lead writer of KOTOR. He's the main man on The Old Republic. TOR takes place 3,500 years before the films and 300 years after KOTOR II.

Since it takes place 300 years later they have room for 3/4/5 to complete the story of Revan.

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 04:43 PM
Bah.

I can't believe they actually had the nerve to call an MMO "KOTOR 3, 4, 5 and beyond".

Its pretty obvious that an MMO will never be anything like a story driven single player RPG. If you get rid of all character back stories, personalities, dialog, and sense of importance in the world, and replace it all with grinding and leet speak you have a KOTOR MMO.

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 04:48 PM
Well you can't say there wont be any personality because its an MMO, there are plenty of MMOs that have good personality and dialog, aswell as stories. They just have to be done right.

EQ2 had some great story parts like the betrayal quest and the spoken dialog is great at times...

Im sure Bioware can develop an amazing MMO with some good personality and deep world, what im afraid is how they will make the classes fun and keep you interested for a long time. I hope the combat is somewhat interactive or strategic.

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 04:51 PM
Don't worry guys, it's coming to PC (primary platform) but it sounds like they might be also thinking about bringing it to consoles though.

Asked what platforms it will appear on, Greg says they're only talking about one today: PC.

Severian126
10-21-08, 04:53 PM
Making an MMO game based on the Star Wars universe is nearly impossible IMO. Everyone wants to be a Jedi, but since they are so rare and special (even post KOTOR I/II), being able to play as one should be a treat. However, if EVERYONE gets to be one (as everyone will want to be one really), it pretty much kills that somewhat. So, I'm not sure how they'll balance it out. Make it easy to be a Jedi and have it a default class available for selection (with the different variations), or go the old Galaxy route and make it pretty hard to be a Jedi and alienate many users who wants to be one?

Frankly I'm not sure how they will succeed in this one.

At first I was pretty excited to hear about a KOTOR MMO, but now, I prefer it to be a single player experience.

EDIT: If they succeed and prove me wrong in my skepticism, and somehow find a way to make a successful Star Wars MMO, then I think this will be the first MMO to knock WOW on its ass and take away some users. We'll see.

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 04:53 PM
I have serious doubts that any MMO will come close to a single player game when it comes to story, and character depth.

If anyone can do it, Bioware can, but still... an MMO is meant to be an addictive cash cow with no end. This will definitely be their greatest challenge yet in the story department and I'll be surprised if the story and side quests are as deep as those in Oblivion, which isn't saying much.

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 04:56 PM
Well the best way to keep people addicted and playing is to continue the story and people within its grip. If they can continue the story with every update and keep it flowing it could be very strong.

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 05:03 PM
Well the best way to keep people addicted and playing is to continue the story and people within its grip. If they can continue the story with every update and keep it flowing it could be very strong.

That would be a unique way to do it, but again, I have my doubts that even Bioware could pull that off.

Besides, they'd be recording thousands of hours of dialog and writing an enormous script if they made a game the depth of KOTOR that had tens of thousands of hours of unique gameplay rather than 40.

It just doesn't seem possible.

The game may have a decent background story but being an MMO its still going to rely on excessive grinding and repetition to fill in the weeks or months in between story events. 95% repetition and 5% story is the most likely outcome here.

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 05:04 PM
Meh they are going Clone Wars style... :(

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/tomb-lightsaber-duel

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 05:05 PM
BAM... and now its doomed. :lol:

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 05:11 PM
Yeah, there was NOTHING wrong with KOTOR's art style, why go and change it to this bs?

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 05:18 PM
Yeah, there was NOTHING wrong with KOTOR's art style, why go and change it to this bs?

Because the movie was so incredibly successful! :lol:

|MaguS|
10-21-08, 05:19 PM
Because the movie was so incredibly successful! :lol:

/groan

CaptNKILL
10-21-08, 05:25 PM
I can't even look at pictures of the movie because the art style is so irritating. I was actually considering playing this MMO if they managed to really do it right, but I can't play it with my monitor off, so I guess they just saved me $15 a month. :p

ahheadlock
10-21-08, 05:56 PM
i ****ing hate mmorpgs.

KOTOR was one of the last remaining good things about Star Wars and now they are ruining that for dollar signs too.

evox
10-21-08, 06:02 PM
Bleh. :|

Severian126
10-21-08, 06:05 PM
Whatever interest I had in the MMO is now gone.

crainger
10-22-08, 12:52 AM
This Old Republic MMO can just **** right off. I'm sick of this business. Galaxies failed, I say this will too. How about we all do the right thing and make KoTOR 3 and be done with it.

K007
10-22-08, 03:36 AM
Oh...i thought Lucasarts said PC's can't handle there games....

I hope this MMO fails miserably.

& I was hoping for KOTR3...not a MMO.

Or Unleashed finally announced for PC...

Hybr1d
10-22-08, 04:05 AM
In theory SW could make an amazing mmo, it has a tonne of backstory, interesting locations, history etc. But in reality it just wont work purely because everyone will want to be a jedi and the be lone hero like in all the films. It would need all the other elements of the population too like bounty hunters, troopers etc. The only way i can see it working is either massively toning down the jedis abilities or just removing them altogether but then thats likely to alienate people from the game altogether.

I'm willing to keep an open mind but im not gonna hold my breath, they failed once before (SWG) and its unlikely that this will turn out much different. How about releasing unleashed on pc and making a new KOTOR instead.

CaptNKILL
10-22-08, 05:19 AM
Personally, I think the only way to make a star wars based MMO that is interesting for each kind of player would be to have a few different main "archetypes" that have very different gameplay and their own strengths and weaknesses.

Some examples...

A trader\pirate\pilot would have a more strategic game that relied more on communication, ship building, traveling, exploring and real time space combat. They would have limited combat abilities on the ground. Their goal would be to become the richest or most notorious trader\pirate and they could get a lot of their money by taking other players to the places they need to go or assisting them with their quests\missions.

A bounty hunter or jedi would have a more story driven game that involves a lot of training and quests, more like the usual MMO grind but IMO it should have more action oriented combat, sort of like the Jedi Knight series with a skill and advancement system. They can be the most powerful on the ground, but it takes a long time.

Maybe have a soldier type class too that is involved in large scale faction-wars and can control vehicles. Think Battlefield 2142 mixed with WoW with star wars technology.

Maybe have a players "strength" in The Force balance against his other abilities to prevent god-like Jedi pirate bounty hunters.

Just some ideas.

Star Wars is just such a big world that it seems kind of lame to limit an MMO to what KOTOR did so well, which was just the story driven Jedi aspect of the world. They should make playing traders, bounty hunters, soldiers and pirates just as unique as playing a Jedi.

I doubt that'll happen though. It'll probably just be KOTOR with a weak story, no memorable characters and lots of instances to make you feel like you aren't one of several thousand Jedi doing the same things.

Hybr1d
10-22-08, 05:23 AM
Sorry, that entire last post became a blur once i read "Jedi pirate bounty hunters" I forsee a whole new game in creation here

CaptNKILL
10-22-08, 05:24 AM
LOL

:lol: