PDA

View Full Version : Please help, major SLI problem...

Loreman
10-22-08, 02:31 AM
Hi there,

I have tried everything that I can think of to solve this and nothing has worked so far.

My Specs :

Asus P5NT WS motherboard (Nvidia 680i LT Hybrid )
Core 2 Quad 6600
2 x 8800GTX Leadtek cards in SLI
Soundblaster X-FI

Ok so basically this is what it comes down to. Every single driver release before any of the Physx bundle drivers SLI has worked perfectly.

Whenever I install a forceware driver that includes the new physx stuff (beta or whql) SLI crashes with a flickering screen or sometimes just freezes sometimes even in a game menu.

If I disable SLI with the new drivers and just run single card then games and everything is fine. What the hell is wrong with either my rig or the new drivers.

This happens in both XP and Vista.

If I roll back to a pre physx package driver, SLI runs perfectly again.

Anyone else experienced this?

SLippe
10-22-08, 02:39 AM
Have you tried the new Beta 180.42 drivers released yesterday over at nvidia.com? You might give those a go. I don't have SLI, so I can't really comment on your problem.

Loreman
10-22-08, 02:57 AM
Have you tried the new Beta 180.42 drivers released yesterday over at nvidia.com? You might give those a go. I don't have SLI, so I can't really comment on your problem.

Yes, I was all over those drivers but sadly it is the same problem again.

Revs
10-22-08, 03:09 AM
Try PM'ing ChrisRay, he might be able to help you :)

KtK
10-22-08, 10:20 PM
Same problem here. Gainward 8800gt 1024Mb SLi. Maybe new drivers not like non-reference cards or somethink.

Loreman
10-23-08, 01:26 AM
Same problem here. Gainward 8800gt 1024Mb SLi. Maybe new drivers not like non-reference cards or somethink.

Nice to know it's not just me.

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard are you running? And also any other hardware like sound card etc?

KtK
10-23-08, 06:07 AM
Nice to know it's not just me.

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard are you running? And also any other hardware like sound card etc?

Mobo is Evga 680i Sli ,Core 2 E6750 ,Integrated sound and And 4Gb memory. Very annoying problem ,Must reset machine and start windows in vga mode to remove forceware drivers. Thats why i'm not tested newest drivers ,too much hassle. This is in win xp ,i don't remember if vista behave same ,but i think so.

I test new drivers in the near future. I write here what happens.

KtK
10-29-08, 09:46 AM
178.24 whql works in vista 64. Install takes ages and physx tells (Nothing has changed) or somethink. I don't know if physx is installed or not.
I don't care nothing about physx ,but new drivers works ok.
Only rivatuner overclock not work yet.

Loreman
10-30-08, 05:40 AM
Isn't that weird man, I just installed Vista x64 bit on my alternate boot drive and found the exact same thing. Doesn't work in XP or Vista 32bit though. Also I noticed only Crysis worked, not Far Cry 2 for sli.

gstanford
10-31-08, 07:44 AM
I haven't had a problem with my 8800 GTX's and recent drivers + physx. They are pretty generic Inno3D cards in an abit motherboard.

I'd suggest extracting the drivers prior to installation and removing the setup program for physx and see if that makes a difference.

Are the two cards the same model? Have you tried updating the BIOS on them (if a newer one is available?) Same for motherboard.

Loreman
11-01-08, 02:26 AM
I haven't had a problem with my 8800 GTX's and recent drivers + physx. They are pretty generic Inno3D cards in an abit motherboard.

I'd suggest extracting the drivers prior to installation and removing the setup program for physx and see if that makes a difference.

Are the two cards the same model? Have you tried updating the BIOS on them (if a newer one is available?) Same for motherboard.

Hey thanks for that info, I appreciate your input. What is the deal with updating the bios on the 8800GTX's? Can you link me to a tool for that or a guide?

gstanford
11-01-08, 10:35 PM
I've never had to flash a video card BIOS myself. First off I would check the website of whoever manufactured your cards to see if they provide a utility (you would need to go there for the updated BIOS anyhow, unless you are brave enough to use uploaded BIOS files that may not even be for your card).

There is a 3rd party flash tool, nibitor, there is a link on the main page, in the right hand column. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who can help you with this.

Bman212121
11-02-08, 12:14 AM
Do you have the latest motherboard bios and drivers?

I used to have a problem using anything DX10 mode + SLI on my 780i board. Since I put the latest bios update on it, it seems like they solved the problem. It's not exactly related, but I'm wondering if they released a fix for your board which fixed a similar issue.

I can't directly link to it the latest bios is 1104.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

The directions are located in your user manual.

You'll use the Phoenix Award BIOS flash tool version 1.31 which is located under Bios utilities right below where you got the download for the 1104 bios.

make sure if you're doing a bios update that nothing is overclocked. If stuff is overclocked you should also test putting everything back to stock to see if that's the issue before you flash your bios.

I don't think you'll have to worry about flashing the video cards bios though. That would probably be the last thing I would suggest to try.

WeisserWalFisch
11-06-08, 09:20 AM
I had those issues with my 8800 Ultra SLI GPU. Problems were solved by moving the SLI Bridge to the other available comnnectors. In my case the innermost on my GPU. Maybe this simple revision helps. Best Regards WWF

KtK
11-12-08, 01:49 PM
178.24 In Win Xp works. But can't overclock att all , 1Mhz step up gives flickering screen---> Then i have to restart--> Wait a week and then old drivers back. Very annoying and boring. It's better keep old GOOD drivers and maybe playing somethink like Fallout3 ,Much comfortable than updating lobotomia evildrivers all night long:)

KtK
11-20-08, 09:16 AM
180.48 Works great with rivatuner 2.20. All problems gone.