PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3, PC version is gorgeous

Pages : [1] 2 3

LordJuanlo
10-23-08, 04:52 AM
PS3 Magazine (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=199997&site=psm) recognices that, after having tested PC, 360 and PS3 versions of Fallout 3, PC version has the best graphics, followed by 360 and... ísurprise!, PS3 is the worst.

But those buying PS3 version shouldn't worry, the game appears to be great no matter the platform, if you can live with a bit choppier framerates and dull textures. Anyway if you own a console (especially a PS3) and a powerful PC, it looks like PC version is not only cheaper, but prettier and faster, so advice would be to get PC version.

The PC version of Fallout 3 is gorgeous. The colours are vivid, the draw distance is endless, the textures are high-res and the lighting effects are beautifully subtle, especially when you're gazing over the Capital Wasteland at sunset. It's the best-looking of the three.

The Xbox 360 version's textures are noticeably rougher than on PC, and objects in the distance aren't quite as clear. It does, however, boast an impressively solid frame rate. The game is, otherwise, identical.

NOW, the PS3 version looks the same as on Xbox, but things in the distance are slightly jaggier/rougher, the textures seem 'muddier' up-close and the frame rate is choppier, especially during the last few story missions (which may be the same on Xbox, but we've not seen the equivalent scenes to comment). We won't spoil anything, but the set-pieces here are MASSIVE, and the engine quivers under the weight of what's happening.

So, really, the difference between the Xbox and PS3 versions won't hamper your enjoyment of the game in ANY WAY. High-res textures or not, it's still the same huge, epic, absorbing, brilliant adventure.

And if you're bothered by a slightly inferior frame rate and fractionally blurrier textures, then perhaps, yes, you'd best buy the Xbox version, leaving the rest of us to enjoy an almost-identical, equally brilliant, game on PS3, while you smugly inspect concrete textures at terrifyingly close range to reap the full benefit, rather than, say, losing yourself in a 100 hour epic quest in an evocative post-apocalypse. Or having fun.

Jonelo
10-23-08, 05:06 AM
PS3 Magazine ?? (crazy)

K007
10-23-08, 05:27 AM
mmm surprised the ps3 is behind the xbox...the pc of course is no surprise.

nekrosoft13
10-23-08, 06:13 AM
good news, but seriously who wasn't expecting that? shouldn't be a suprise really.

CaptNKILL
10-23-08, 06:27 AM
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about this game...

There will be no demo, and the reviews really won't do me any good. Most of the problems I had with Oblivion were either not mentioned or were seen as trivial in most reviews. I won't buy this game if it shares most of Oblivion's flaws.

nekrosoft13
10-23-08, 06:32 AM
yap, i feel the same way, i don't want another Oblivion.

At least one friend will buy the game, so that will be a perfect opportunity to try it out.

nutcrackr
10-23-08, 06:43 AM
What flaws in oblivion did you guys hate? I probably will pick it up because I enjoyed oblivion mostly, but it did have some flaws.

Hybr1d
10-23-08, 06:48 AM
I was a fan of the original fallout and fallout 2 so im leaning towards this game. I didnt have any major quarrels with oblivion but to be fair i didnt put much play time into it but i played morrowind to death. My friends are probably getting it though so ill just make do with Far Cry 2 and warhammer till they give me their opinions :D

breathemetal
10-23-08, 06:52 AM
I'll be picking this up asap. I loveddd Oblivion! Hopefully the Bethesda community of modders pick up the pace and start modding heavily for FO3

CaptNKILL
10-23-08, 06:52 AM
What flaws in oblivion did you guys hate? I probably will pick it up because I enjoyed oblivion mostly, but it did have some flaws.

The way everything scaled with the player, which made leveling and increasing skills rather pointless.

The lack of importance of just about everything in the game. It was fun to explore but nothing really seemed to change the game much. Leveling, finding better equipment, slaughtering innocents, completing quests... nothing really seemed to matter.

The clunky outdated game engine. It looked nice when you were in a grassy area with lots of foliage, thanks to Speed Tree, but the engine was still basically the same one from Morrowind and was clearly not meant for a game of that size and complexity. Not to mention it had NO shadows other than for people and monsters. And the stuttery mouse movement that for some reason feels like you're using a serial mouse unless you play the game in 3rd person mode. Considering that Fallout 3 has shooter elements this could be an even bigger problem.

Those are the main things for me.

Keep in mind though, I put an absurd amount of time into the game and most of it was benchmarking, working on textures and attempting to fix the game. I just want to NOT see those problems in this game because I will already be sick of dealing with them. :p

Tr1cK
10-23-08, 06:53 AM
I'm surprised there's no Magus comment yet.

nutcrackr
10-23-08, 06:56 AM
The way everything scaled with the player, which made leveling and increasing skills rather pointless.

The lack of importance of just about everything in the game. It was fun to explore but nothing really seemed to change the game much. Leveling, finding better equipment, slaughtering innocents, completing quests... nothing really seemed to matter.

I thought I read that most of those issues would be still present in Fallout 3, particularly the leveling and the just finding better equip.

CaptNKILL
10-23-08, 07:01 AM
I thought I read that most of those issues would be still present in Fallout 3, particularly the leveling and the just finding better equip.

Where did you read that? Hopefully Bethesda didn't say that. :lol:

Hybr1d
10-23-08, 07:04 AM
The bethesda community mods like crazy anyway and mods were made to remove the dynamic levelling feature in oblivion so i have no doubt if its in FO3 it'll be modded fairly soon.

|MaguS|
10-23-08, 07:18 AM
I'm surprised there's no Magus comment yet.

Sorry, I like to sleep at night. Unlike many here I have a full time career so I need my sleep.

And what do you expect me to say? I have said it in the past, I will be getting Fallout for the PC, just like I did with Oblivion and Farcry. There are some games that just play better on the PC while there are some that play better on consoles.

breathemetal
10-23-08, 07:21 AM
I love Oblivion like I've stated before, but i would not play it without mods. I have a folder totalling over 20 gbs of Oblivion mods. I use them all when I have the game installed. Mind you, it takes a good 2 days to get it all smoothed out

|MaguS|
10-23-08, 07:23 AM
I love Oblivion like I've stated before, but i would not play it without mods. I have a folder totalling over 20 gbs of Oblivion mods. I use them all when I have the game installed. Mind you, it takes a good 2 days to get it all smoothed out

:(

I had tons of mods but my game kept breaking here and there so I just deleted all of them, I plan to reinstall and get them over again since they had time since I last played to iron out the bugs. Oblivion is a game you can just jump in and mess around with without worry, I really liked it alot.

Tr1cK
10-23-08, 07:25 AM
Sorry, I like to sleep at night. Unlike many here I have a full time career so I need my sleep.

And what do you expect me to say? I have said it in the past, I will be getting Fallout for the PC, just like I did with Oblivion and Farcry. There are some games that just play better on the PC while there are some that play better on consoles.

I'm just picking on you. :p

|MaguS|
10-23-08, 07:40 AM
I'm just picking on you. :p

Well if your going to do that, I got a scab on my shoulder that needs some scratching.

Tr1cK
10-23-08, 07:43 AM
Well if your going to do that, I got a scab on my shoulder that needs some scratching.

Haha, reminds me of Goldmember. Yummy!

|MaguS|
10-23-08, 07:51 AM
Haha, reminds me of Goldmember. Yummy!

Smoke and Pancake?

raystorm
10-23-08, 07:57 AM
Another reason why I personally only buy PS3 games that are exclusive to the console (ie: LittleBigPlanet). PS3 ports seem to always be the worst but thats no big deal for me as I always buy the PC version first then if necessary the 360 version.

Imbroglio
10-23-08, 09:13 AM

still present???

early reviews said just the opposite. some of them attempted to go into an area and were blown to crap immediately. i had been paying attention to the leveling issue because that pissed me off in oblivion. i was happy when i heard that wasn't included in FO3.

hirantha
10-23-08, 09:31 AM
every damn game should look pretty on the PC...

Logical
10-23-08, 10:14 AM
Fallout 3 = GOTY :D