PDA

View Full Version : nVidia's official response to 44.03 cheating accusations?

digitalwanderer
05-21-03, 08:42 AM
Has anyone heard anything official out of nVidia concerning the allegations of them cheating on the 44.03 detonators on 3dm2k3?

I've heard lots thru un-official channels ( :mad: ) but I was curious if anyone had heard anything official.

(Sorry to beat a deadhorse, but they STILL haven't talked about it.)

Sazar
05-21-03, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Has anyone heard anything official out of nVidia concerning the allegations of them cheating on the 44.03 detonators on 3dm2k3?

I've heard lots thru un-official channels ( :mad: ) but I was curious if anyone had heard anything official.

(Sorry to beat a deadhorse, but they STILL haven't talked about it.)

I think by their silence they are officially NOT acknowledging there is anything wrong going on :)

hence the debate continues... if there really is a debate about this issue...

schuey74
05-21-03, 10:31 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that Nvidia's response will be w/ the next drivers. If they haven't said anything it's probably because they feel that the new drivers will offer similar performace without the "cheat" and they will be able to claim that it was just a bug afterall.

I for one, believe that Nvidia did "cheat" on those drivers but I honestly believe it's because they knew they'd get the performance back when they launched the real DetFxs.....50.xxs. Those 44.03s look like a hybrid between the old 40.xxs and the new dets................just for the 5900U previews.

Sazar
05-21-03, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by schuey74
I think it's pretty obvious that Nvidia's response will be w/ the next drivers. If they haven't said anything it's probably because they feel that the new drivers will offer similar performace without the "cheat" and they will be able to claim that it was just a bug afterall.

I for one, believe that Nvidia did "cheat" on those drivers but I honestly believe it's because they knew they'd get the performance back when they launched the real DetFxs.....50.xxs. Those 44.03s look like a hybrid between the old 40.xxs and the new dets................just for the 5900U previews.

yes.. BUT it is wrong to cheat..

I can cheat in an exam and then say nothing because I really did plan on studying for it later but decided to CHEAT to get a score I did not warrant the first time round...

it was all an honest mistake because I honestly DID plan on studying later on...

see my point ?

digitalwanderer
05-21-03, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Sazar

I can cheat in an exam and then say nothing because I really did plan on studying for it later but decided to CHEAT to get a score I did not warrant the first time round...

it was all an honest mistake because I honestly DID plan on studying later on...

see my point ?

Exactly! I'd feel a whole lot better if they'd at least step forward with a BS, "Well, we were testing ways to show how 3dm2k3 is unreliable by putting out a set of drivers with the clip planes in them as an example...and thru some goofy situational comedy type fashion it accidently got included in our WHQL ones instead." (BTW-Do I get points for knowing their "official" explanation early? Can they sue me for telling all you fine people it and stealing their thunder?!? Oh dear me, now I'm really frightened! :rolleyes: )

But this staying quiet BS is just that, BS. They're being very callow. :(

schuey74
05-21-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Sazar

see my point ?

Sorry for not being clear on that point Sazar. Cheating is wrong and it should not have been done. I was not saying that I agree with what they did, I was just speculating as to what their plan was. And on that point I think I am probably correct.

They thought they could slip something by and they probably knew that even if they got caught, they could just call it a bug, and as long as the performance was there and the "bug" wasn't in the next dets, most people would disregard the whole cheat thing. We know better, but we also know that Nvidia puts out great cards w/ extremely stable drivers. You just can't go in w/ blind trust like many did in the past w/ Nvidia.

saturnotaku
05-21-03, 11:23 AM
(BTW-Do I get points for knowing their "official" explanation early? Can they sue me for telling all you fine people it and stealing their thunder?!? Oh dear me, now I'm really frightened! :rolleyes: )

No, because I said the exact same thing last week when the story first broke. I think the thread was deleted, but what I said was essentially along the lines of the NVIDIA PR machine spinning this situation into what you described above. It was done in response to a post by mavis, I do remember that.

But sorry, no points for you. :p

schuey74
05-21-03, 11:49 AM
Exactly! I'd feel a whole lot better if they'd at least step forward with a BS, "Well, we were testing ways to show how 3dm2k3 is unreliable by putting out a set of drivers with the clip planes in them as an example...and thru some goofy situational comedy type fashion it accidently got included in our WHQL ones instead." (BTW-Do I get points for knowing their "official" explanation early? Can they sue me for telling all you fine people it and stealing their thunder?!? Oh dear me, now I'm really frightened! :rolleyes: )

But this staying quiet BS is just that, BS. They're being very callow. :(

Digi,

You have to understand that Nvidia has nothing to gain by admitting they cheated. A few people may up their respect for Nvidia for being up front, but most people would take the chance to brand Nvidia as cheaters forever as ATI has been branded for the Quack issue. Being labeled as cheaters would affect their sales a whole lot more than a "weird bug" that they fixed. You are thinking in black or white and you've got to consider the gray area which is where most people live and where Nvidia is going to stand on this issue. Now, let's just go way back to high school for an example:

If you cheated on a test and got a 90% and someone told the teacher afterwards that they saw you cheating, you'd likely be confronted. At which point the only way to defend youself would be to offer to retake the test. If you retake the test and get a similar score, the teacher would most likely give you the benefit of the doubt and you move on. But if you are caught and you have no way of reproducing similar results on the next test then you better confess and try to work something out.

Forget about whether you would cheat or not. But would you confess and risk expulsion if you did get caught, or go visit the "gray area" and learn from your mistake without causing yourself a lot of grief and suffering.

In a perfect world it is wrong, but in this world Nvidia has no choice but to go the route they have. What I've said is not to contradict the fact that the cheat was stupid, unnecessary, and in all likelyhood a true cheat.

Nutty
05-21-03, 04:18 PM
BTW-Do I get points for knowing their "official" explanation early? Can they sue me for telling all you fine people it and stealing their thunder?!? Oh dear me, now I'm really frightened!

Me thinks your head doth swell too much. Like nvidia gives a toss what you think?

99.9999% of nvidia's customers have never even heard of you. The way you go on, you make it sound like you have some big publicly known feud with nv.

What is your problem anyway?