PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind still the best-looking game?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 12:17 PM
Morrowind is like, a whole year old now. Has any game been released that looks better?

I can't even think of any game which you can buy today which uses Pixel and Vertex shaders except for Morrowind. I hope I'm wrong :) but it seems a shame that there's been so much fuss about pixel and vertex shaders since the launch of the GeForce3, and there seems to only be one game which uses them.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to Morrowind: Bloodmoon. Anyone know of a UK release date? Preorders seem limited to the Bethesda site for UK and US :confused:

Chalnoth
05-21-03, 12:44 PM
Unreal 2 looks quite a bit better, and so does Unreal Tournament 2003 (in some ways). Even Neverwinter Nights sometimes manages to look better (though much graphical quality was sacrificed to make it very easy for users to make their own modules).

I'm sure there are others, though I can't recall them offhand.

The Baron
05-21-03, 12:56 PM
Doesn't it only use PS/VS for the water?

Matthyahuw
05-21-03, 01:08 PM
I never liked Morrowind, while the graphics looked nice to the eye, they were hard to play with.

Clunky controls, and the little touches that make a game nice were missing. Like when you walked or ran, you hands stayed in the same spot like they were glued there, no bobbing or anything.

It's the little things that make me happy...:D

vampireuk
05-21-03, 02:25 PM
Morrowind imo is so much better on the X-Box, it feels a lot easier to play. The fighting system is my only complaint, you never know how much health the enemy has left.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 02:26 PM
lol I frequently run around RL with my hands in Morrowind's 'cast' position. Partially to scare people, partially to make friends with squirrels.

And yeah, I think the PS/VS effects were just for the water. But still, are there any OTHER Pixel Shader or Vertex Shader games?

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Morrowind imo is so much better on the X-Box, it feels a lot easier to play. The fighting system is my only complaint, you never know how much health the enemy has left.

Tribunal fixes the enemy's health problem by giving you an enemy's health guage while in combat. XBox owners can look forward to a new Morrowind thingy containing Morrowind and the 'best of' the two expansions (I think).

And the PC version benefits from, oh, 50 gajillion mods :D

Not tried many myself, but that upcoming Middle Earth TC looks tasty :)

nVidi0t
05-21-03, 02:45 PM
Morrowind was the most dissapointing game of all time for me.

Yeah, a nice big open ended world in which NOTHING you do matters or affects anything, and the world is COMPLETELY DEAD with barely any interaction with other characters.

They may have advertised Morrowind as having over 1000 NPC's, but they all say exactly the same thing.

Jeez, I was so pissed with that game after I realized how shallow it was.

And the graphics are beginning to look dated. The pixel shaded water is poor and the terrain is too smooth/sparse.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
And the graphics are beginning to look dated. The pixel shaded water is poor and the terrain is too smooth/sparse.

Probably :). So, um... what game looks better?

nVidi0t
05-21-03, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
Probably :). So, um... what game looks better?

Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Splinter Cell (amazing Lighting effects), Raven Shield.. man there are loads of games which look better now.

I like the architecture in Morrowind but the player models and weapon models are really poor.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 03:11 PM
I like the graphics in Splinter Cell - especially the view modes :)

And UT2003 has a very good engine - lovely graphics and it runs nice'n'fast... Morrowind's performance leaves a lot to be desired. But Morrowind has, like, dynamic weather and pretty water and stuff and... oh I don't know. I just think it looks pretty.

Unreal 2 still felt like a.... game... engine... to me. OK there must be a better way to say it, but it didn't feel like an immersive environment, more like a first person shooter with good graphics (and not an outstanding FPS at that). UT2003 IMO looks as good, but it's difficult for me to notice the graphics in UT2003 because I'm so busy having fun and playing the thing!

Ghost Recon looked nice, but Morrowind looks nicer :P

Aren't there any games that have nice pretty environments? I suppose I should just hold out for Star Wars: Galaxies (Still June 25th, right?). Maybe I could boot up that old Zoological Garden thingy... that was pretty.

nVidi0t
05-21-03, 03:33 PM
I have to agree about Unreal 2, pretty as an engine, but immersive? lol, it was one of the shallowest FPS games I have ever played.

In Morrowind I love the storms, especially the sandstorms. No storms really rival it yet, although Dark Age of Camelot might with the shrouded isles expansion.

here's a screenie:

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/screen_shots/shots/si045.jpg

There are constant changes in weather, and it's massively multiplayer so the world is actually alive.

I havent got shrouded isles yet. I'm still playing standard DaoC.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 03:39 PM
That's a really cool screenie :)

DAoC was kind've on my 'to do' list after I completed Everquest ;)

But I think I'm going to wait for the Pixel and Vertex Shader goodness of Galaxies in a month or so (jeez anyone reading this thread must think I have a shader fetish!!! I just wanted to know if any games use 'em, or if they're still mainly benchmark and graphical demo based).

Chalnoth
05-21-03, 03:42 PM
I think Unreal 2 really has some of the best environments of recent games, though the gameplay is still linear. And yes, all of these games mentioned do make use of pixel shader effects.

Yeah, a nice big open ended world in which NOTHING you do matters or affects anything, and the world is COMPLETELY DEAD with barely any interaction with other characters.
I agree with this somewhat. Morrowind is far more about making a cool character than interacting with the world. It feels like the world that Bethesda created is a playground, a vessel for creating the kind of character you want to make. Anyway, I think Morrowind succeeds for what it tries to do, but it certainly has a different type of immersion from other RPG's.

Chalnoth
05-21-03, 03:49 PM
DAoC was kind've on my 'to do' list after I completed Everquest ;)
Heh, completed Everquest? I don't think that's gonna happen.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 03:53 PM
Kidding :D

They decided (after two or three months) that my Ranger's name PenguinJim was completely unacceptable and changed it to Pengujim :confused:

I couldn't hack it and so I took a few days to hand out my gear fairly without twinking, and quit.

Funnily enough, they never complained about my necromancer 'Painfulanal'.

edit: I mean I couldn't 'accept' it, not that I tried to hack the servers to change it back, just in case anyone was suspicious ;)

Nutty
05-21-03, 04:31 PM
Jeez, I was so pissed with that game after I realized how shallow it was.

You've got to be kidding! I think its one of the best games I've ever played. Its awesome.

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 05:16 PM
I like it too. I'm playing it (yet) again and this time I will try and complete it before I get bored (usually around 30 hours in :)).

Oh Nutty, you're in for a real loading time treat when you make the move to DDR... the Doom3 Alpha also ran tons better on my system after I went from Athlon1.3/PC133 to XP2000+/DDR400 (in sync mode, obviously ;)).

nVidi0t
05-21-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
You've got to be kidding! I think its one of the best games I've ever played. Its awesome.

After playing Baldurs Gate/NwN it just feels so empty and lifeless, it's like some 3d terrain you can walk about on and do a few quests where you have to walk 100 miles each time through towns where everyone says the same things.

I loved Morrowind when I got it, i just realized after a while that it's really flawed.

Nutty
05-21-03, 06:06 PM
Oh Nutty, you're in for a real loading time treat when you make the move to DDR... the Doom3 Alpha also ran tons better on my system after I went from Athlon1.3/PC133 to XP2000+/DDR400 (in sync mode, obviously ).

Hell yeah.. I've waited soo long, when I do upgrade I'm gonna be blown away by the performance increase.. Morrowind is getting a bit slow on me.. On some occassions it takes nearly a minute to load the data after exiting some buildings..

unfortunately, the money I was gonna spend on upgrading.. is kinda needed for other stuff.. theres always more expense..

I'll definitly upgrade this summer tho.. my game at work hits Beta monday, so I'll have alot more time to play this summer.

gonna nab me an abit nforce2, and a gig of 3200..

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 06:24 PM
Classy combo! My Asus A7N8X Deluxe is great (OK OK this is number three... I killed one and the second was DOA :D)

Um... I guess after that story, you're definitely getting an Abit! :angel:

I get my PC3200 from Komplett.co.uk - the TwinMOS DIMMs are cheap and strong (although they've gone up recently - a few weeks ago it was about 40 for 512megs, now it's 50).

MikeC
05-21-03, 07:27 PM
Have any of you been able to get AA to work in Morrowind? I don't recall the last driver set where it worked properly, but I sure miss it :)

PenguinJim
05-21-03, 07:44 PM
Quincunx runs fine in Morrowind on mine. I'm still on the 30.82's, but I probably should get some later drivers :afro2:

Chalnoth
05-21-03, 08:02 PM
I like it too. I'm playing it (yet) again and this time I will try and complete it before I get bored (usually around 30 hours in :)).
Here's a little hint to get rid of boredom:
Get the boots of blinding speed! The boots themselves are found on a woman who is west of Caldera. She's near a road that leads to a town on the coast (she wants passage to this town...I can't remember the name right now, but it's the town where you must go to root out the stronghold of the Sixth House, where you get Corprus disease). You can see the boots on her (they're magical), and, if I remember correctly, you don't have to go through any mountains before getting to her from Caldera.

Then, in order to actually wear the boots, you need to get some magic resistance (they're called blinding speed because...surprise!...they blind you). My favorite item for this is in the tower above the Corprusarium (I believe it's called Tel Fyr). In the top level of this tower, there's a cabinet that's not near anybody, and has a 100-skill lock. Inside this cabinet is the cuirass of the savior's hide. Wear this before putting on the boots (you can take it off afterwards if you don't use light armor), and you can start moving around at much higher speeds! It definitely helps with some of the annoyance of travelling.

Another thing that can help reduce some of the annoyance if you play the game quite a bit is completing the codex quest. You'll have to download this quest from Bethesda, but once you have completed the quest, you will be able to be teleported to any of the dwarven strongholds.

The Baron
05-21-03, 08:16 PM
Ah, yes, the codex quest.

Or you could make 6 bajillion speed potions. ;)