PDA

View Full Version : Is my 8300 GS card faulty (screenshot)?

gixer1000
10-25-08, 12:33 PM
I have owned a new dell 513 desktop for the last 2 years. I was playing an old game 'Medal Of Honor Allied Assault' and the screen suddenly went very strange and the PC crashed. Every time I rebooted I got a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys file in the error message. The only way I can start the machine now is in safe mode. I have tried all the latest video card drivers from Dell and direct from Nvidia. I have also tried latest BIOS flash, all chipset and other drivers. I still get the BSOD on startup. One thing is strange though, there are vertical bands on the display in safe mode as you can see in the picture below. I am wondering if the card has developed a fault. It is a plug in PCIe card. The fan is working and there is no build up of dust or any blockages inside the case. Any ideas?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/gixxer_thou/display.jpg

BigE4u
10-26-08, 10:17 PM
Yes, that would be a typical sign of video card failure... to bad you dont have a spare card to try just to be sure.

gixer1000
10-28-08, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your reply BigE4u. I took a chance and bought a new card. It was indeed a card failure. All good now. I put another gig of RAM in too, as it only had 1 gig running Vista, lol.