PDA

View Full Version : New build locks up right away, help!

Pages : [1] 2

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 12:58 AM
I just finished a new PC build, and it's locking up after about 30 seconds. I rechecked all my cabling, and everything looks good. I can get into the BIOS, but I hardly have time to check anything. I don't think the CPU is overheating because if I go straight to the temps section it hasn't gone past 38c during the 30 seconds I have to monitor it before the lockup occurs. I'm at a loss. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The hardware is as follows:

Asrock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi mobo
Phenom 8750 BE
2 x 8800GTX
Patriot 2 x 2GB PDC24G8500ELKR2
Greatpower X1454P4 700watt PSU
Zalman 9500 HSF

Starscream
10-26-08, 01:17 AM
I'd start with trying one stick of ram at a time. If it keeps happening try another piece of memory. After that a different power supply.

methimpikehoses
10-26-08, 01:22 AM
And try 1 gpu at a time before the new psu.

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 02:43 AM
I took out the 2nd 8800GTX, and now it runs without locking up. What should I make of that? Bad video card, or bad mobo? I should mention that the 8800GTX I took out is a recertified EVGA model I just purchased with the mobo from Newegg.

Lfctony
10-26-08, 03:11 AM
Try with the card you took out only. If that locks up, that's your problem. If it doesn't, it could be the PSU, handling one card ok but having problems with two.

bob saget
10-26-08, 04:07 AM
And try 1 gpu at a time before the new psu.

you da man.

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 03:05 PM
Alright, the problem doesn't appear to be either of the GTX's, or the ram. With only one of the GTX's installed it seems to take a little longer before it locks up. I managed to get Vista installed, but that too locks up almost right after it boots to desktop. I touched the installed GTX, and it's very hot. That almost leads me to believe the board is maybe giving it too much voltage??? Is that possible? If I watch the temps in BIOS, neither the CPU or the mobo chipset overheats, but I can't monitor the GTX. Any more ideas?

Also, this motherboard has a 24-pin and 8-pin power connector. My PSU has the 24-pin connector, but not an 8-pin. The mobo manual says it's ok to use a 4-pin in its place, which is what I did. Could that be a problem?

mythy
10-26-08, 03:17 PM
asrock? AMD.. Great power oh boy :p

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 03:32 PM
The PSU is made by Xclio, and the model name is Greatpower. Anyways, you think that's the problem? Not that I don't believe it, but I'd like to know how the PSU could be causing the lockups before I go out and spend $150.

mythy
10-26-08, 03:34 PM
well you choose some budget parts so it isn't easy to determine what POS you bought is toast

I recommend pulling 1 GPU and 1 Stick of ram. Then If that fails I recommend trying different ram. Then I recommend the PSU then I recommend Mobo then CPU

hamilton
10-26-08, 03:50 PM
I recommend pulling 1 GPU and 1 Stick of ram.

I recommend you to read the thread before you post what has already been mentioned and tried several times :headexplode:

hamilton
10-26-08, 03:51 PM
The PSU is made by Xclio, and the model name is Greatpower. Anyways, you think that's the problem? Not that I don't believe it, but I'd like to know how the PSU could be causing the lockups before I go out and spend $150.

Can you send me a link to some info on that PSU such as the amperage on the 12v rails?

mythy
10-26-08, 03:52 PM
I did I just wanted to be clear on the order of my recommendation

mythy
10-26-08, 03:53 PM
Can you send me a link to some info on that PSU such as the amperage on the 12v rails?

can you work google?

4 12V 18A each

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 03:56 PM
http://www.xclio.com/product/PSU_GreatPower/x14-700w.htm

I know it says it comes with a 4+4 pin cpu connector, but I didn't get one. This PSU was purchased in late '06, and at the time I didn't need a 4+4 pin.

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 04:14 PM
Would this be a better PSU?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0273362

mythy
10-26-08, 04:22 PM
Don't go all gun ho on the PSU yet. A PSU is a PSU so long as it delivers stable power and is reliable. Your PSU has been highly awarded by reviews and from what I been reading isn't that bad at all. You don't have a super highly demanding rig so it should be fine as ling as its not defective. Flip flop the ram sticks try to boot each time with another stick and another GPU if you havnt yet done so.

Do you have any buddies who can test your ram and mobo for you?

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 07:05 PM
I bought a new PSU an hour ago, and short story it's not the PSU that's the problem. Guess I'm getting a different motherboard.

crainger
10-26-08, 07:08 PM
Yeah. I'd definitely steer clear of ASRock. My sister and another friend both had ASRock and both ditched them after a short while. They seem to be ok at stock in a light system, but anything new, or advanced like SLI, then forget it. Will freeze, crash and BSoD like nothing else. ::(:

mythy
10-26-08, 07:08 PM
I could have told you that its not the PSU it handled startup when every component is drawing peak amps your best bet it to rule out ram compatibility I have had my main rig do that over a dozen times and it was always the ram craping out on me. I think I used every main brand other them muskin at this point :p Tho it could just as well be the motherboard but rams easier to test...

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 07:18 PM
I've tried three different brands of ram, and it still locks up.

mythy
10-26-08, 07:22 PM
Did you try and reseat the CPU?

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 07:25 PM
That's about the only thing I haven't tried yet. I'll do that now.

mythy
10-26-08, 07:40 PM
well you could pull the mobo from the PC case as well it might be getting slightly bent and a trace might be pulling apart.

Bladestorm
10-26-08, 09:08 PM
I took the motherboard out of the case, and hooked everything back up. Guess what, it works perfectly! Now what?