PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 - Horrible FPS

evox
10-26-08, 06:34 AM
Well, my GTX260 doesn't like Team Fortress 2. Regardless of what resolution/settings I play on, even slight action (Balcony in 2fort, Stage 1 on Goldrush etc) drops the frame rates to 20s sometimes even teens.

All other games run smooth (everything from Warhead to Mass Effect) but Team Fortress 2 always lags. All the Nvidia CP settings are at default, turning VSync On/Off doesn't do anything, either.

I've updated DirectX9, Updated Windows, Defragged partitions, ran Anti-Virus/Spyware scans, Monitor temps (all stay within acceptable range) Installing new drivers didn't do anything. So I rolled back to the old 177.26 that came with the card. Nothing helped.

I just cannot get smooth FPS in this game. This never happened with my 8800GTX.

Help please! :(

System specs:
Q6600 @2.4GHz
4GB DDR2 667MHz @4-4-4-12
XFX GTX260 Core 896MB
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

WeReWoLf
10-26-08, 07:39 AM
In game, set the AA to 2x and AF to 8x. Textures to high, etc. I had a weird low fps issue with TF2 for a while myself, the only thing that fixed it somewhat was lowering the IQ in the game settings.

CaptNKILL
10-26-08, 07:45 AM
This might seem like a hassle but if you're having odd problems like this it might be a good idea to reinstall steam. I remember having some terrible performance with HL2 Episode 1 a couple years ago. The framerate would just drop from the 80s to the high teens for no reason.

For a while I had no idea what it was but when I reinstalled everything at some point I didn't have the problem any more.

I recommend deleting\uninstalling Team Fortress 2 from your Steam list first. Then close Steam. Move your steamapps folder out of the steam folder (so you don't have to re-download everything), download and install the latest version of steam, log in to your account, close steam, then copy your steamapps folder back and redownload TF2.

bob saget
10-26-08, 01:11 PM
This might seem like a hassle but if you're having odd problems like this it might be a good idea to reinstall steam. I remember having some terrible performance with HL2 Episode 1 a couple years ago. The framerate would just drop from the 80s to the high teens for no reason.

For a while I had no idea what it was but when I reinstalled everything at some point I didn't have the problem any more.

I recommend deleting\uninstalling Team Fortress 2 from your Steam list first. Then close Steam. Move your steamapps folder out of the steam folder (so you don't have to re-download everything), download and install the latest version of steam, log in to your account, close steam, then copy your steamapps folder back and redownload TF2.

has it really been that long :p

hamilton
10-26-08, 01:37 PM
Honestly, this game doesnt even look good so I cant imagine why it would be hard to get good FPS off of modern hardware.

bob saget
10-26-08, 01:51 PM
no, i dont think the graphics have anything to do with it. I can play it maxed, and even 8XXX-series cards should be able to max it. Driver issue maybe... :o

evox
10-26-08, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, all.

Last night I uninstalled Steam, grabbed a copy from Steampowered website and logged in. I've decided to re-download Team Fortress 2 and see if it helps. I also updated the graphics drivers to the latest. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'll report back once my download is finished. Will take a while as my connection is quite slow.

poullos
10-27-08, 09:54 AM
You could have moved gcf files elsewhere to save redownloading and just run verify integrity of game cache. Your method is the best but it takes time ;)

bacon12
10-27-08, 10:27 AM
I had this issue before with TF2, and if you run riva and use the log to watch if your clocks are going up and down that may be your issue. I don't remember the drivers, but when new ones were released it fixed it.

Don't really know what the issue was??

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116734&highlight=normal

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196070

Bearclaw
10-27-08, 10:40 AM
no, i dont think the graphics have anything to do with it. I can play it maxed, and even 8XXX-series cards should be able to max it. Driver issue maybe... :o

I have it maxed on my 7 series card. :o

bob saget
10-27-08, 08:54 PM
I have it maxed on my 7 series card. :o

only losers have 7 series cards

:bleh: :o

evox
10-28-08, 02:30 AM
I had this issue before with TF2, and if you run riva and use the log to watch if your clocks are going up and down that may be your issue. I don't remember the drivers, but when new ones were released it fixed it.

Don't really know what the issue was??

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116734&highlight=normal

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196070

Thanks. I was running an older version of Riva. Updated it, my TF2 download took a backseat as I was downloading a torrent. TF2 Should get finished quickly and then I can see if it fixed the problem.

Cheers. :afro:

evox
10-28-08, 02:30 AM
You could have moved gcf files elsewhere to save redownloading and just run verify integrity of game cache. Your method is the best but it takes time ;)
Yeah, I actually did back them up. But I decided to just re-download them in case one of them is corrupted/stuffed. :)

Absolution
10-28-08, 03:00 AM
All you have to do is delete your account folder within the steamapps directory. You wouldn't be able to play the game if your actual files were corrupted.

evox
10-28-08, 09:12 PM
Finally got a chance to play TF2. At 1920x1200, 8x AF 0x AA, I am getting average 60-70fps (dipping down sometimes) on the 2fort bridge. Gonna have another go with other maps and see if anything improved.

Thanks for all the help. :)