PDA

View Full Version : 5900FX and image quality?


Pages : [1] 2

eliteone
05-21-03, 11:44 PM
Now from looking at the benchies of this thing it seems to make nice work of the 9800pro but there is one thing that concerns me which is image quality. When I went from a GF4 ti4600 to a 9700pro i was blown away at how much the IQ improved. How well does the 5900FX match up to ATI's cards?

DaveM
05-21-03, 11:54 PM
Image quality on the FX is very nice.

Typing on one right now. I just went from a 9700pro to this and the quality is actually exactly the same as the radeon.

I was also blown away at the radeons superior image quality from a g4ti and now blown away that this FX is just as good as the radeon.

DaveM

eliteone
05-21-03, 11:59 PM
what about the "quality" FSAA and aniso settings or whatever it is with the nvidia drivers. How is that compared to the radeon? Thanx for the reply

DaveM
05-22-03, 12:02 AM
np

pretty good, speed isn't up to ati's quality but most will be driver work really.

I agree with alot of them, the nVidia looks everybit as good as ATI's method. Main thing I notice right now is frames with the AA/AF

Not bad but some improvement will come with newer drivers.

DaveM

eliteone
05-22-03, 12:06 AM
Hmm...so do you think getting a 5900FX over a 9800pro 256MB card would be a good idea?

bkswaney
05-22-03, 12:27 AM
I'm getting the 5900 over the 9800. :)

DaveM
05-22-03, 12:28 AM
I'd wait a little bit longer. Wait and see them after another month or so then decide.

DaveM

BigFish7
05-22-03, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by DaveM
Image quality on the FX is very nice.

Typing on one right now. I just went from a 9700pro to this and the quality is actually exactly the same as the radeon.

I was also blown away at the radeons superior image quality from a g4ti and now blown away that this FX is just as good as the radeon.

DaveM
That is what i was telling every one for years now...
sigh...:o

StealthHawk
05-22-03, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by eliteone
Now from looking at the benchies of this thing it seems to make nice work of the 9800pro but there is one thing that concerns me which is image quality. When I went from a GF4 ti4600 to a 9700pro i was blown away at how much the IQ improved. How well does the 5900FX match up to ATI's cards?

The quality in all FX cards is exactly the same as the quality of the gf4 cards in regards to 3d acceleration. Nothing has changed.

Of course, in games that use PS2.0(none yet) or PS1.4 for extra image quality, you will notice a difference. The fact is that FSAA looks exactly the same as it does with a gf4 and so does AF. Assuming you set the drivers to Quality mode.

Nv40
05-22-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
I'm getting the 5900 over the 9800. :)



you have a lot of money right Bk? :)

if im right you bought the R9700 the FX5800 and now the FX5900 ?
thats why i call being updated in graphics.. hehe


about Geforcefx IQ...
REad here...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9032&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

a couple of sceenshots
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9032&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

Rogozhin
05-22-03, 01:42 PM
Eliteone

This review covers alot of the IQ questions if you haven't read it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDcy

I personally would wait another month before deciding.

rogo

Moose
05-22-03, 02:39 PM
I would say that the IQ crown still goes to ATI.

The Nv3x series has slightly better than R300's but the AA on the R300 is way ahead quality and speedwise at this point.

bkswaney
05-22-03, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Nv40
you have a lot of money right Bk? :)

if im right you bought the R9700 the FX5800 and now the FX5900 ?
thats why i call being updated in graphics.. hehe


about Geforcefx IQ...
REad here...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9032&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

a couple of sceenshots
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9032&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

Yep... I stay up to date. :angel:
Lot of money? Well, if uncle sam did not get so much of it I might have a little. :(
My website makes me quite a bit on top of other work I do. :)
The wife does pretty well also.

Nv40
05-22-03, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Moose
I would say that the IQ crown still goes to ATI.

The Nv3x series has slightly better than R300's but the AA on the R300 is way ahead quality and speedwise at this point.



well i believe IQ is a matter of preferences...
for me NVidia has better AA/AF modes than ATI..
and as abonus texture shrpening..
i like also 4Xs ,6xs modes than ATi AA modes...
but again is my personal preferences :)

Rogozhin
05-22-03, 05:40 PM
I know for my persoanl preference my r8500 and r9700 were much much better in the IQ department than both of my NV20s.

rogo

solofly
05-22-03, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Nv40
well i believe IQ is a matter of preferences...
for me NVidia has better AA/AF modes than ATI..
and as abonus texture shrpening..
i like also 4Xs ,6xs modes than ATi AA modes...
but again is my personal preferences :)

Itís an opinion! A defensive tool Ati users use against nVidia while faced with 'bad drivers' criticisms...:D ;)

AgentX
05-27-03, 05:27 PM
Ati cards have twice the anisotropic filtering and more FSAA but so how can the FX have as good image quality with only 8x AF, and also how does this card handle AA, is it better than the 9700\9800Pro?

Chalnoth
05-27-03, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Moose
The Nv3x series has slightly better than R300's but the AA on the R300 is way ahead quality and speedwise at this point.
The GeForce FX 5900 is currently the fastest in multisampling FSAA.

StealthHawk
05-27-03, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by AgentX
and also how does this card handle AA, is it better than the 9700\9800Pro?

It is faster than the r9700/9800, but the quality is not as good.

solofly
05-27-03, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
I'm getting the 5900 over the 9800. :)

You're not the only one...;)

webmedic
05-27-03, 06:04 PM
yes but the 5900 ultra is not by much and not in everything. However the iq for ati is the best.

Wonder what would happen if it ran in 32bit fp color on the 5900. That is getting old by now but without it there is not going to be whql certified drivers.

Chalnoth
05-27-03, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by webmedic
Wonder what would happen if it ran in 32bit fp color on the 5900. That is getting old by now but without it there is not going to be whql certified drivers.
This whole 32-bit thing has been blown way out of proportion.

There is no current display format for either the R3xx or NV3x cards for higher than 8 bits per channel integer.

This means that the added precision is only there for intermediate calculations.

Some calculations will require 32-bit FP for maximum quality (dependent texture reads come to mind), many will not.

Remember, the output is still 8-bit. Whether or not higher precision is needed is a function of the calculations being performed.

webmedic
05-27-03, 06:14 PM
It does make a difference though. I've seen it with the dawn ultra 32 patch on my own nv card. So no matter what others say 32 bit precision does matter and it does look better. it makes the detail clearer and less well blurry. To bad it crippels the card though.

bkswaney
05-27-03, 06:34 PM
It will be a while before anycard can do full 32 with any speed.

I think ati was on the right track using 24 for everything.
That way u have speed and great IQ. :)

StealthHawk
05-27-03, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
It will be a while before anycard can do full 32 with any speed.

I think ati was on the right track using 24 for everything.
That way u have speed and great IQ. :)

"A while?" You mean, like, next generation? ;) :D