PDA

View Full Version : Does F.E.A.R suck?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ragejg
10-29-08, 08:56 PM
I picked up FEAR a while back... just installed it and am just into the first mission...

Everything has sharp angles and is really dark... and there's not much atmosphere... am I spoiled by recent COD style games on PC and xBox?

If this game feels too dated to me then I gotta get something else. I'm replaying Lost Planet on Hard, and have yet to finish GOW, but I'd like to get a frantic/arcade-y/xbox pad compatible FPS.

Thoughts? Go ahead and pick on my taste and choice of gaming hardware. :p

bob saget
10-29-08, 09:02 PM
i liked it, never passed it though.
Some very messed up scenes in that one......There are alot of games i would play instead of FEAR though. Never tried the expansion........

[AK]Zip
10-29-08, 09:02 PM
You do know fear is from 2005 right? You can't expect the world from a 3 year old game.

ragejg
10-29-08, 09:05 PM
I know... I was "not around" much in '05 so I missed much of the coverage of FEAR... I thought it was supposed to go toe-to-toe with STALKER... which I also don't know enough about and might like to try.

bob saget
10-29-08, 09:06 PM
its not a bad game in any respects, i just like others betta ;)

lee63
10-29-08, 09:10 PM
Its one of my all time favorites, the AI is just amazing. Looking forward to FEAR 2(lee63)

Edit: Finished FEAR five times lol

Shamrock
10-29-08, 09:31 PM
I like FEAR for it's horror, not for it's action. Alma is one scary chick dog. It scared me quite a few times. I haven't been scared in a game since Thief 2.

Single Player
10-29-08, 09:32 PM
yes it is

crainger
10-29-08, 09:47 PM
FEAR was fricken awesome. Extraction Point was k. Perseus Mandate was crap. ::(:

Just play original and stick with it.

Bokishi
10-29-08, 10:22 PM
Yup Perseus Mandate was crap I never finished it cuz the quality was so low

Crow_Nest
10-29-08, 11:31 PM
F.E.A.R. was and will always be an awesome game. The reason why you dont feel any atmosphere out of it now is because the graphics are dated. And also, like you said yourself. You were spoiled by better, newer games out there right now. The gameplay is what counts though, F.E.A.R. has always been better than doom 3 imo. ;)

RupertBanana
10-30-08, 12:28 AM
Its one of my all time favorites, the AI is just amazing. Looking forward to FEAR 2(lee63)

One of the best FPSers ever....but requires a tough GPU and a decent LCD.

lee63
10-30-08, 12:40 AM
F.E.A.R. was and will always be an awesome game. The reason why you dont feel any atmosphere out of it now is because the graphics are dated. And also, like you said yourself. You were spoiled by better, newer games out there right now. The gameplay is what counts though, F.E.A.R. has always been better than doom 3 imo. ;)
FEAR smoked D3 (nana2)

lee63
10-30-08, 12:42 AM
FEAR was fricken awesome. Extraction Point was k. Perseus Mandate was crap. ::(:

Just play original and stick with it.I liked Extraction Point but Perseus Mandate was really bad :thumbdwn:

WeReWoLf
10-30-08, 12:47 AM
Fear is up there with my all time favourite games.

XP_GUN
10-30-08, 12:53 AM
From what I have read is that FEAR II is going to take place as if Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate never took place.

sillyeagle
10-30-08, 01:09 AM
FEAR is awesome, but the two expansions were done by different devs and were no where near as good. The original is without a doubt worth a play through. It was one of the best games of the year.

lee63
10-30-08, 01:11 AM
From what I have read is that FEAR II is going to take place as if Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate never took place.Good :D

nutcrackr
10-30-08, 01:36 AM
I enjoyed fear, but I still think it's overrated, I played it again however and still had fun so it's still pretty good.

WeReWoLf
10-30-08, 02:06 AM
I just love throwing grenades at people while in slowmo, then speeding time up. So much fun.

Retrolock
10-30-08, 02:13 AM
Last time i played FEAR i had a ****ty CPU and GPU, i should reinstall this game. Couldn't stand Alma though :bleh:

Shamrock
10-30-08, 02:14 AM
From what I have read is that FEAR II is going to take place as if Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate never took place.

You are correct. In fact, it will take place right where FEAR left off, where you're in the helicopter, and Alma climbs inside.

g-a-m-e
10-30-08, 02:26 AM

Same here, at least . The combat is what kept me going. It just kept getting better every time i played it :) (Mind you , to keep the awesome pace going do not use bullet time, i think i have used it no more then 10 times in all the times i played through it. I personally think the whole bullet time things kills the action)

It's 3 years old now though ... While i do still play Persues Mandate from time to time.

crainger
10-30-08, 02:29 AM

Good. Very good.

NaitoSan
10-30-08, 03:10 AM
Good to know, now I don't need to go and buy Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate in order to catch up for FEAR 2.

I can't wait and for sure I'm getting FEAR 2 on PC like with first FEAR.