PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda pencils in new Elder Scrolls title for 2010

qube
10-30-08, 08:56 AM
Fallout 3 publisher Bethesda has indicated that the next title in the hugely popular Elder Scrolls series will be released in 2010.

Paul Oughton, publishing executive for Bethesda, also said that although the market for the Wii and DS has opened up more varied publishing opportunities, the company doesn't have any current plans to release titles for Nintendo consoles.

"At the moment we've got Fallout 3 for this year and potentially there's a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010," said Oughton. "At the moment we're not that interested in the Wii. We're going to stick to PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. We'll continue to pursue three or four titles a year and go for big titles," he said of the company's publishing plans for the future.

Oughton acknowledged that Nintendo has done a great job of expanding the games market to a mass audience, but he also expects that it will soon reach saturation point.

"We've seen games selling in the past 18 months that we never thought we'd see. We wouldn't have thought that pet games and cooking games would have a viable market five years ago. No publisher would have taken those products on," he said.

"But Nintendo bought new products in with vast amounts of marketing money to launch these into the minds of the consumer and made a market for them. Every other publisher then very quickly developed DS and Wii products and we're getting to saturation now."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-pencils-in-new-elder-scrolls-title-for-2010

Soetdjuret
10-30-08, 11:13 AM
WOOHO TES 5555555555555555555555555!

Wonder where it will take place, Hammerfell, Skyrim, Elsweyr, Black Marsh etc :p New engine plx?

breathemetal
10-30-08, 11:29 AM
TESV! YES!

Bearclaw
10-30-08, 12:15 PM
It will be cool to see. I got hooked on the last one. :)

slivski
10-30-08, 12:27 PM
best graphics of 2010 award here we come

NarcissistZero
10-30-08, 08:39 PM
I do wonder if they will use a new engine... 2010 will probably be the same consoles that exist now, so one wonders how much they can really afford to push the graphics forward.

Still, no matter what I am exicted for a new TES. It was kind of a no-brainer that they would have that be their next release after Fallout, but it is nice to read some confirmation anyway.

I, for one, hope for Summerset Isle.

CaptNKILL
10-30-08, 09:20 PM
I do wonder if they will use a new engine... 2010 will probably be the same consoles that exist now, so one wonders how much they can really afford to push the graphics forward.

Still, no matter what I am exicted for a new TES. It was kind of a no-brainer that they would have that be their next release after Fallout, but it is nice to read some confirmation anyway.

I, for one, hope for Summerset Isle.

Yep, this is the first one that hasn't been scheduled for years. I remember Morrowind and Oblivion listed on pages from 1997.

Whatever this is is totally new. Which could be good or bad.

Since its coming so soon they're definitely using the same engine, which really sucks, but hopefully they'll get enough feedback about Fallout 3 that they'll fix it up a lot. The last thing they need is to hear everyone call their game perfect because it'll make them slack in areas that need improvement.

Bearclaw
10-30-08, 10:05 PM
I hope they don't hold too much back for the console. Oblivion on PC could have been so much better.

3DBrad
10-30-08, 11:17 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE! New engine, and new animation pipeline, as Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have some of the worst animations of games today! :(

Sobbsy
10-30-08, 11:30 PM
Yep, this is the first one that hasn't been scheduled for years. I remember Morrowind and Oblivion listed on pages from 1997.

Whatever this is is totally new. Which could be good or bad.

Since its coming so soon they're definitely using the same engine, which really sucks, but hopefully they'll get enough feedback about Fallout 3 that they'll fix it up a lot. The last thing they need is to hear everyone call their game perfect because it'll make them slack in areas that need improvement.

Likely the same engine with some massive overhauls. This IS the GameBryo engine, in no time at all they can drastically beef up the visual capabilities of it without adversley affecting development progress or time. I fully expect that come release, even with the same engine, it'll be a wildly different engine from what we have now. It's reached its present limit, time for an upgrade.