PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Audigy2 ZS versus X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Zhivago
10-31-08, 11:38 PM
I have an Audigy2 ZS, and am mostly pleased with the audio quality. I could buy an ExtremeGamer, but does anyone here have experience with both of these cards, and can tell me if it would be worth the 100$ upgrade? I am interested solely in audio quality, not how many fps it can add in cod4.

I am using an excellent pair of headphones (Sennheiser 480Pro) to listen to my music.

Thanks..

EciDemon
11-03-08, 08:48 AM
I have an Audigy2 ZS, and am mostly pleased with the audio quality. I could buy an ExtremeGamer, but does anyone here have experience with both of these cards, and can tell me if it would be worth the 100$ upgrade? I am interested solely in audio quality, not how many fps it can add in cod4.

I am using an excellent pair of headphones (Sennheiser 480Pro) to listen to my music.

Thanks..

Humm, Careful of those "lesser" Xfi's as some of the lower ends don't have onboard DSP chip. Thus eax5 is done in software taxing the cpu a bit. The problem with creative cards is there are too many of them so Im not sure if the one you wish to get has dsp or not :(

Anyways I went from Audigy 2 to Xfi fatality pro and was quite happy with that, despite some early problems.

EDIT: Ok no worries, it's the Xtreme Audio that don't have the emu EMU20K1/2 chip (uses same as Audigy 2 SE)

Do checkout below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Fi#X-Fi_line-up

Zhivago
11-03-08, 09:45 PM
I did do my homework beforehand.
I went ahead and purchased it.. I am sure it will sound excellent when I finally get it.. not sure why it takes Radioshack 4 bloody business days to process an order.

EciDemon
11-04-08, 05:20 AM
I did do my homework beforehand.
I went ahead and purchased it.. I am sure it will sound excellent when I finally get it.. not sure why it takes Radioshack 4 bloody business days to process an order.

I'm quite happy with mine and Im sure you will be too, Eax5 sounds very nice and many games supports OpenAL too
There are plenty of sound enhancement features as you would expect. SnR is very low (No static background noise)

Smart Volume Manager or what not is Global now, for my old audigy2 it only worked with the creative media player. Good when you watch movies or play games late at night.

With the three modes (game, entertainment and audio creation) you have a good all round sound card with full asio support.