PDA

View Full Version : Question about SLi framerates

knateb
11-01-08, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I am new to SLi
I just got two EVGA 9800GTX(G92) cards,
and this may seem silly, but,
I play WoW a lot and for some reason I am only getting 60fps.

is there something I am missing?
I am running @ 1680x1050 with everything up.
it doesnt seem like this would be much for these cards to handle.

I know it is WoW and fps arent that big of deal.
But, im just curious.

gerardfraser
11-01-08, 05:02 PM
Well if it is a steady 60fps,you have v-sync on,If you turn it off you will have higher FPS.
60 is fine in WOW though.

Scendore
11-04-08, 06:39 PM
Well if it is a steady 60fps,you have v-sync on,If you turn it off you will have higher FPS.
60 is fine in WOW though.

Yep I agree and by the looks of it he's running a Widescreen LCD which usually has a refresh of 60hertz so thats why you're stuck at 60 so to speak.

WOW isn't a great game for judging performance. The game is a bit older and its doing less that most new titles.

you will see a big improvment in other games

Bman212121
11-04-08, 08:17 PM
WoW is actually a lot more CPU limited than GPU. The fact that you're getting 60fps means you have paired them with a pretty decent CPU. 1 9800GTX should be able to get you 60fps in that game.

If you open up the Nvidia control panel, then click on manage 3d settings. This will add an option on the menu bar called "3d Settings" Open that up and you'll see Show SLI visual indicators. It should show a check mark if you selected it. What it shows is a load bar on the left side of the screen. The more the game scales to using 2 cards, the larger the bar will get. If there is little to no green, then it means that your game either isn't scaling, or there just isn't enough work for it.

Here is a pic of the cards not being loaded properly.

http://wsgfmedia.com/uploads/paddywak/screenshots/sli/SLiBars.jpg

Here is a picture of the bars when a game is scaling well with SLI.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2104/51673117wr5.jpg

My friend has a pair of 7800GTX cards in SLI and the bar only fills part way in WoW running at 1280 x 1024 maximum settings. I think I also enabled some AA / AF for him as well. It just isn't as graphically limited as it is CPU limited.